CPU Upgrade..Not working?

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Hi there, I recently upgraded my PC (Today). I added two new gigs of Ram, which was recently only two. I also upgraded my old AMD Dual Core 64 up to a AMD Phenom II 955 Black Edition. However...it seems to be slower for some reason than it was before it was upgraded. I'm not sure if i've successfuly unlocked the other Cores..and not sure how to do that. I've looked at my system and checked the "Windows Experience" Rating..which went from 5.5. down to 3.3. I really hope this wasn't a waste of cash, as it's too close to Christmas to sent it all back and reorder more "crap".

Cheers in advance!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
You shouldn't have to unlock anything with a 955BE. It is a quad core CPU...period.

You may just need to update your BIOS to the most recent version. What make/model of motherboard are you using?

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Ok, i've installed a new Bios..well I think I have correctly. I should have probably stated an issue that happened earlier-When I first installed the CPU and Ram, and put everything back in place, I turned the PC on, but it didn't actually load up anything, I heard the fans and power on..but my screen was still. I held the power button and reset it, then it finally loaded up. I got a promt coming up saying to "Boot" the system. So I pressed F2 to run defaults and it came up. When I arrive at my desktop, it again prompted me to restart my PC so the updates could kick in. I did so and it went back to Phase 1-I heard it running, but my screen was lifeless, I left it for an hour to see if it would come on..still nothing, so I held the button again, reset it and ran the defaults..I currently have to reset the PC twice to get onto my Desktop...This is the first thing i've ever really done with a PC, I know I probably sound like a retard playing with Lego..but any help would be welcome! Thanks

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Additional CPU support is one of the major reasons that BIOS updates get released. While not guaranteed to be the solution, it certainly won't hurt. What suggestion would you offer hotboyz012345?

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Reset you BIOS to default. You can do a couple of ways. You can pull the battery from the motherboard. You can use the BIOS reset on the motherboard (usually near the battery), or some BIOSes actually have a default settings selection in the BIOS menu. This will force the system to re-recognize all of your hardware components and will set your CPU and memory to default/auto speeds.

Are you attempting to overclock anything?

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
We will need more system info:
Mobo, memory, PSU, bios version.
You should be getting a WEI of 5.7-5.9 with a X2 555. Unlocked to an X4 B55 will put it in the low 7's.

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
God..i'm actually thinking of putting my old CPU back in and formatting the whole PC. Waste of money and time..I might try that resetting Bios thing, if I recgonise the button on the mobo to do it. I have an Alienware PC (another waste of cash) so the whole inside is annoying.

M3A32-MVP DELUXE-Motherboard
4gb of Ram. DDR2
GTS 250 Nvidia-Overclocked (It was overclocked when I bought the system)

I'm not trying to overclock anything. I just want the PC to run better than it did before I planned to Upgrade it..how it's backfired...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Don't give up yet. The best way to force a good old fashion reset is to just pull the battery and wait 30 secs before putting back in. First, remove all power sources, including the monitor connection. Then press the power button to discharge any residual power strored in the system (yes, it is true). Then pop out the coin battery. Wait 30 secs. Pop the coing battery back in. Reconnect power/monitor and reboot.

Your BIOS will now be in its default state.

If this doesn't help. You may need to pull the 955BE and verify that you don't have bent pins or other damage to the CPU itself. If you see no damage, reseat the CPU and do the same for your memory while you are at it. Reattach your heatsink/fan (HSF) and give it a go again.

Good luck!

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Going to have a go at that..pulling out the Coin battery. Hopefully i'll let yous know how it goes..if not, i've probably broke something in half. No idea what i'm doing, but i'll go by what I have! Thanks for all the info guys and help!

I'm not sure why I keep getting prompted to restart, or reboot the system..even when I do, it still doesn't work. /shrug

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
32 Bit Windows 7. I took the Coin battery out and replaced it after a while. To be honest, I think it's made it worse.

Want to sell my piece of *** computer..

What BIOS version are you running, anything past 1901 will support the 955BE. If you do not have a bios that supports it the CPU will be stuck running at 800Mhz.

Also removing the CMOS battery and putting it back in wont make things slows, it will reset factory defaults (remove overclock's on the RAM, CPU etc)

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Sniper, I think you have got the key there. I looked up what my Bios was there now, it's; Manufacturer- American Megatrends Inc.
Name- BIOS Date- 03/24/09 Ver- 08.00.14
Version- 1602

And yeah, apparently it is still running at 800MHz. So i'll look up a new Bios to download. Hopefully it will run it alright.

I have a friend coming to look at my PC, he thinks it could be down to the power supply. I have a 750 WATT supply, he said anything over 500 should do the job. But running it with my current system specs could be limiting its job. I'm still looking around to see if there's anyway to improve it. Doing my head in! xD

syketh

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2010
Ok, i've tried downloading a new Bios, this one:
M3A32-MVP Deluxe BIOS 2202

However, now once the download is finished, it's now saying "Window's cannot open this file"

Any ideas how I extract the file?