Solved

Torubleshooting Moutning Mobo in Case

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Cases
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2010 2:59:52 PM

I have a newly bought NZXT M59 case and an 870A-G54 MSI AMD Mobo. I can't figure out how to attach it to the case, I've inserted the I/O shield in the case, I've lined it up, but none of the holes match the case. I've heard I need to do something with the spacers but I'm not sure what those are, I thought they're the little screws that came with the case, but how can I move those if the holes don't match? I've taken pictures of what I've got if that would help.

http://s888.photobucket.com/albums/ac87/ubersoldier87/

More about : torubleshooting moutning mobo case

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
September 22, 2010 4:01:16 PM

To mount a mobo in a case you must first install in the case some little "stand-offs". The case has many possible locations for these, determined by the layout of your particular mobo. BUT you must place them ONLY where you mobo has a matching hole for them.

In your situation your first photo of small parts shows the stand-offs in the upper right bag. They are brass cylinders with screws on one end and tapped holes on the other. In the second photo (of your case) I can see a line of 3 holes across the top - two at the corners of the square hole, and a third farther right. These will have threads cut into them to accept screws. Similarly, there is a line of 3 across the middle, just below the square hole. There's a third line of 3 lower down, almost lined up with the lowest of the PCI slot covers. Now, look at the mobo in photo 3. Across the top edge there are 3 holes that look like they have little brass star arms around them. There's another set at the middle, about lined up with the top PCI slot back cover and the heatsink with the "MSI" logo. The bottom line is lined up with the lowest PCI slot connector (black).

Place the mobo temporarily in the case (as in photo 2) and examine exactly which case threaded holes are lined up with the mobo mounting holes. Remove the mobo and install one stand-off in each of these spots. Do NOT install any stand-off where there is no matching mobo hole. Tighten them reasonably so they stay put. Now put the mobo back into place and verify that the mobo holes line up with the stand-offs at every one of those locations. Change any that are wrong.

BEFORE finally installing the mobo, sometimes you have to work on it out of the case. This is especially likely if you have purchased a different CPU cooling system that requires a custom mounting plate to be installed under the mobo. It often is easier to install the CPU, its heatsink (with thermal paste) and fan onto the mobo on a table top BEFORE installing the whole thing into the case. Maybe even install the RAM modules, too, but NOT any PCI cards.

This is also the point at which some people will 'breadboard" test the system. You ensure the mobo is resting on an insulating surface and temporarily install the minimum components - a video card if your mobo does not have built-in video, some RAM, the CPU and cooler, power supply connections, and connections to keyboard, mouse and monitor. You power it up and ensure that the mobo does boot up to the point where it says you have no boot disk. Some would reboot and go into BIOS Setup just to verify it is working and look around in there. This process is the first step to ensuring the system will work when fully assembled. When you're done you remove the unnecessary components so you can install the mobo in the prepared case.

Now place the mobo in the case. Be very careful to line up the back connectors with the I/O shield you've already installed. I once found when I did that, that I had a metal springy finger sticking into a connector when it was supposed to be outside. With that all lined up start installing all the screws that go through the mobo and into the stand-offs. You do NOT need to install insulating washers here. Those metal star arms around each mobo hole are Ground connections, and the screws you install are supposed to help connect the mobo Ground to the case through the stand-offs.
September 22, 2010 4:09:17 PM

Thank you for your response! Well, I did as you said, and I managed to get 6 screws in to fit with the mobo, I'm not sure if thats adequate but the rest of the holes don't match. The I/O shield seems to be fine and not obstructing any connectors on the mobo.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
September 22, 2010 5:09:35 PM

ubersoldier87 said:
Thank you for your response! Well, I did as you said, and I managed to get 6 screws in to fit with the mobo, I'm not sure if thats adequate but the rest of the holes don't match. The I/O shield seems to be fine and not obstructing any connectors on the mobo.

6 to 9 screws is generally what match.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
September 22, 2010 5:11:01 PM

Agreed. You do not HAVE to use all the mounting holes.
m
l
September 22, 2010 6:37:06 PM

Best answer selected by ubersoldier87.
m
l
!