HAF X & X58A UD3R fans connecting issue

drshim82

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Hi Guys,

I'm currently building a pc and having a problem with connecting case fans and cpu cooling fans. This is my first build and I have no idea how to connect all those fans to mobo and psu. Could please anyone help? I have Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo, Haf X case, and Corsair HX850W, Corsair H50 cpu cooling.

Gigabyte X58A UD3R mobo has 1 cpu fan header, 1 power fan header, 3 system fan headers.

Haf X case has 4 case fans with 3-pin connector and peripheral power plug (200mm side fan, 230mm front fan, 2x 200mm top fans), 2x 120mm cpu fans for H50 with 4 pin connector, and 120mm fan for video card with 4 pin connectors.

which ones should I plug to mobo and which ones are for psu?

Do I need to get fan splitter and adapters?

Please help. lol

Thanks in advance.

Solution
I have the Scout, which is basically wired the same as yours. Unfortunately, CM doesn't have any wiring diagrams for the fans, and nothing is labeled.
What I have found is:
Red and Black wire connectors are for the fan LED's
Yellow and black wire connectors are for the fans.
Most of the fan connectors are 4-pin molex, you may have one or two that are 3-pin mobo connectors (black,yellow,red). These can be connected to the mobo. DO NOT connect the red/black connectors to the mobo even if they have 3-pin mobo connectors on them.
The molex fan connectors can be used on the mobo thru adapters, male molex to female 3-pin.
Seems that CM wants us to utilize their case switches for LED's and fan speeds.
As far as what supplies what, you'll have...

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I have the Scout, which is basically wired the same as yours. Unfortunately, CM doesn't have any wiring diagrams for the fans, and nothing is labeled.
What I have found is:
Red and Black wire connectors are for the fan LED's
Yellow and black wire connectors are for the fans.
Most of the fan connectors are 4-pin molex, you may have one or two that are 3-pin mobo connectors (black,yellow,red). These can be connected to the mobo. DO NOT connect the red/black connectors to the mobo even if they have 3-pin mobo connectors on them.
The molex fan connectors can be used on the mobo thru adapters, male molex to female 3-pin.
Seems that CM wants us to utilize their case switches for LED's and fan speeds.
As far as what supplies what, you'll have to go thru each connection one at a time to determine their function.
Wish I could give you an easier way, but after much searching, I haven't found any.

Solution

drshim82

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for your reply.
I'll try tonight and will post progress tomorrow. I don't have extra pc at home so I don't have internet access once I get off work. lol
BTW, my case doesn't have fan speed control switch.
Will it be easier if I have fan controller? I was thinking about to get one like NZXT Sentry 2 or Aerocool touch 2000.
Thanks a lot.

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
I think it's more of a noise issue. Those 200 and 230mm fans in your case should be fairly quiet, even on high speed. If your fine with the sound, let 'em run. After all,
HAF means High Air Flow.