Solved

ShellShocker - Msi mobo any good?

So theres a shellshocker on newegg.ca :

http://www.newegg.ca/Special/ShellShocker.aspx?cm_sp=ShellShocker-_-512503-_-09222010

seems like a pretty solid deal... any1 know if the mobo is any good?
MSI 870A-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Thanks
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about shellshocker mobo good
  1. It's not a bad mobo, though most people here would prefer to use Asus of gigabyte. Just beware that mobo can't actually xfire. It's second PCIe slot is only x4.
  2. Thanks for the quick reply. I don't plan on xfireing, and what significance does the second PCIe slot only have x4 have? First time builder here :)
  3. An x4 slot is normally for a dedicated PhysX GPU or any other PCIEx16 card you may want to add.
  4. ugh... significance lol? does it mean my gpu goes here? Is x4 not good enough?
  5. It has two PCIEx16 slots. One runs at x16 and is for your GPU. The other is x4 and can be used for a secondary PhysX GPU or some other expansion card (Ramdisk maybe) that you might add in the future. Its not very good for crossfiring two GPUS.
  6. So if i don't plan on cross firing is the motherboard still good?
  7. Best answer
    Yes.
  8. Best answer selected by Beeboy18.
  9. I have an MSI board- P45 Platinum. It's great, but I had to hunt down a beta bios v.1.7 for that to be true. Also, they are a chinese company and the support is only so/so and the manuals are pisspoor and barely readable.

hardwarewise, it's a good board. Update the bios, mine shipped with 1.4....
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build AMD Systems MSI-Microstar