netbios name

I have a windows 2000 network with xp clients.
I have had some instances with names not being correct when you do an
nslookup on them
for example
if I ping auser I will get back a 1.1.1.1
however if I Ping 1.1.1.1 -a
I get xpe00806420e241 which is probably from the image install.
where is the issue? is it on the box or in dns somewhere and does anyone
know how to fix it?
thanks,
RogueIT
1 answer Last reply
More about netbios name

    *ping -a {IP addr}* tries to resolve address to hostname using DNS. Check
    DNS records on W2k server.

Configuration Netbios Windows XP