Sign in with
Your question

EVGA P55 SLI Siren sound?

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2010 4:51:06 PM

Hi, I just build (first time) my custom computer with a Antec 600 case, EVGA P55 SLI motherboard, XFX 850W power supply, GTX 460 Video card.

I fired it up, set up bios, etc then installed win7 ult. and installed some programs (sony vegas pro 9, photoshop CS5, Microsoft office 2010, etc.) and then shut it down and everything turned off except the motherboard, it was making a siren noise while flashing the E logo in the middle (not an error code, I don't think.) then I flipped the Power supply switch and it still was going, so I unplugged the power supply cable and still was turned on, making the noise so I hit the power button on the motherboard itself, and it stopped. I tried this again, same thing.

I can't find the problem in any manual.

Please help!
a b ) Power supply
a c 198 V Motherboard
September 22, 2010 5:40:56 PM

Also, are you using a 4-pin or 8-pin supplemental (8-pin ATX 12V power (PW12)) power connection from the PSU to the mobo?

BTW, the sound stopped because you discharged the residual electricity your system was holding when you pressed the power button (with the PSU disconnected/turned off).
Related resources
September 22, 2010 6:11:44 PM

It doesn't display a post code, and I plugged (from the PSU to mobo) the 20 (or 24 I forget) pin cable & the 8 pin.
a b ) Power supply
a c 198 V Motherboard
September 22, 2010 6:27:30 PM

OK, so you have the 8-pin and 24-pin connectors in place. Good (sometimes folks are forced to use a 4-pin connection to the 8-pin socket, but not an issue here).

Are all of these components new? Do you have access to another PSU that you could swap for troubleshooting purposes? Same for your GPU?

Also, if OCing in the BIOS. Set back to default levels. In fact, set your BIOS to its default config (usually a selection on the initial BIOS menu). The intent is to isolate the problem. A quick scan of your mobo manual also suggests that you have to turn on the feature to display post codes. If not enabled, do that.

Let me know about the other questions in order to proceed.

September 22, 2010 8:11:05 PM

Yes, they are brand new. No I don't have anything other then a 400W power supply.
I'm not OC'ing and I'm pretty sure their default. I'll check again.

Do you think if I flipped the psu switch and waited for a while it would turn off? do you think it's a problem?
a b ) Power supply
a c 198 V Motherboard
September 22, 2010 9:11:31 PM

Once you set the PSU switch to the on position, you shouldn't have to touch it again (under normal conditions). The fact that your system is sounding an alarm, is well...alarming and indicates a fault somewhere.

Give your suggestion a shot and see what happens.
September 22, 2010 9:20:19 PM

My suggestion works, but it takes 20 seconds to stop, and then once I flip it back on, it resumes and then when I hit the power button on the case, it waits 2 seconds and starts, 5 seconds, shuts down, 3 seconds, starts then its good...
a b ) Power supply
a c 198 V Motherboard
September 23, 2010 12:27:25 AM

Odd. Flash to the latest BIOS and see what happens. I have seen a lot of weird computer stuff and this one is one of the strangest.
September 23, 2010 3:42:37 PM

I'm not exactly sure how to do that :p 
September 23, 2010 3:42:45 PM

I'll look it up.
a b ) Power supply
a c 198 V Motherboard
September 23, 2010 3:55:00 PM

Go to the EVGA website. Go to the support page and enter your mobo model number. From there you will find downloads for your mobo, including BIOS updates.
September 23, 2010 6:24:42 PM

The update is a broken link...

got it working
September 23, 2010 6:28:43 PM

fixed that problem I had posted in this comment.
September 23, 2010 7:00:14 PM

fixed this problem also.
September 23, 2010 7:24:49 PM

Alright - finally got it back running. going to see if its still making the noise.
September 23, 2010 7:54:33 PM

OK - I had some more issues, but now it's back to where I started.. Bios update doesn't work.

Also - my cpu temp thing reads anywhere from 60-70 and it used to read about 40... is this a problem?
a b ) Power supply
a c 198 V Motherboard
September 23, 2010 8:07:44 PM

Re-seat the heatsink/fan with new thermal compound.
September 30, 2010 3:23:38 AM

I ordered a brand new heatsink/fan from newegg ( I was using the stock intel one ) and it comes tomorrow.

my computer has overheated 2 times and shut off, did this cause any damage? when it did it the first time, i just walked away for a few hours and tried again, and it had the same result so I haven't touched it since. (it's been a few days)
a b ) Power supply
a c 198 V Motherboard
September 30, 2010 11:27:02 AM

Damage is unlikely (that is why it shutdown). In all likelihood, you will be fine when you install the new HSF.
!