Plextor m5s vs. m5p vs. Crucial m4

datguy88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Hello forums,

I know I have been asking a lot of SSD questions lately, but tonight is the only night I can order and after reading up on countless reviews, choosing Amazon to pick from, and choosing a 128GB drive with a 1TB Caviar Black to get myself started, I have come down to the three SSDs listed in the title.

This drive is for my OS, most used programs (Word, Excel), and I will install and uninstall the games I am playing the most, onto this drive(BF3, TF2, GTA IV, etc).

Any advice that can be given about how these three drives compare in everyday use would be greatly appreciated.

128GB Plextor m5s- $108 on Amazon

128GB Plextor m5p- $125 on Amazon

128GB Crucial M4- $125 on Amazon

twp

Honorable
Dec 24, 2012

The m3p in that link is in the same tier 1 is the m4. I'm guessing the m5p will do at least as well. Too bad it is not included in that list, guess it is too new.

silky salamandr

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Yeah people put way too much emphasis on the speed of these things but unless your running benchmarks, you will never notice the difference in speed. I have owned about 9 SSD's within the last 3 years and just notice the capacity more than the speeds. In my rig I have a Corsair Force GT and the 515mb writes mean nothing if your not doing SSD to SSD transfers.

Go for the one that has the best rep for reliability and of course the cheapest. The M4 has a great track record. Even the lowest of the low SSD will yield a huge noticeable snappyness. Just don't buy OCZ!

datguy88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
Since the m5p and m4 are the same price on Amazon, and the m5p has a five year warranty, would that be the better option?

I don't hear too much around here about Plextor, but everything I have read has generally been good.

datguy88

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2011
The reason I am not going with the Samsung 840 Pros are because they are charging a premium for sizes well above the average prices of drives with the same space.

Does anyone on here have any personal experience with Plextor and their customer service that could tell me how RMAing or firmware updates are?