ScottAD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
Alright so I built this system 6-7 months ago. Last night while moving it a bit to plug in a usb cable for a printer I unplugged the power cord to the PSU.

Now the system will not boot. It gets through POST and then as windows loads it blue screens.

So I plug in the usb drive that has my windows 7 install on it and attempt start up repair, no dice.

Go in to do a full format and reinstall and windows 7 install cannot see the SSD. Bios is in AHCI mode for those ports.

Pull up a command prompt, it shows in list disk. Cleaned it and tried install again.

It again says a driver is missing in order to install.

System stats...

Mobo: ASRock Extreme 4 Gen 3
CPU: Intel 2500k
SSD: Crucial M4
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
16 GB Corsair low profile Dominator RAM.

I'm miffed, aside from swapping the cable to another port which I will do min a bit I don't know what else to do.

Please help.

Solution
Get the AHCI drivers from AsRock and stick them on the USB drive that your windows is on. Load them from within setup (on the HDD selection screen).

ScottAD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
Drive shows in BIOS with HDD unplugged. Also tried another Sata port, was on 0 but moved it to 1. Still no dice.

I cannot find the CD for the Mobo. Wonder if ASRock is feeling generous

ScottAD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
I did grab the drivers and put them in various forms on the usb including the original download which is a .zip and then unzipped that and also unzipped the installer. Windows could not see any of them. I even tried on a separate usb drive as well.

I'm stumped!

ScottAD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
This was weird, I plugged in the HDD only figuring I'd just wipe that so I have something going right? Same problem, can't see it in Windows 7 install.

So while I'm typing to you folks I am on Parted Magic, did a secure erase and then created a partition table and then NTFS partition for the SSD. I should attempt reinstall now correct?

Before I do that I plan on updating the BIOS (I'm back two versions) and the M4 (Back 1 version) before attempting to install again.

Sound logical?

ScottAD

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2012
This is fixed. What I did to solve it is this...

Use Parted Magic to Secure Erase the SSD.
Updated SSD Firmware.
Updated BIOS Firmware.
Download AHCI drivers and burn to CD as the USB option was not working.
Installed Windows 7!

Thank you for help I really appreciate it!