Sign in with
Your question

Just built new pc...1st and can't get it to work

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2010 5:38:33 PM

I just put together my first pc and found I'm not so good at it. Components I have are
ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo LGA 775 Intel motherboard,
Western Digital 640gb drive, Asus DVD burner drive,
ASUS EN8400GS Silent/P/512M GeForce 8400 GS 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card,
4gb gskill cards(2gb a piece) DDR2-800,
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz 4MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80580Q8300,
Rosewill CHALLENGER Black Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ,
Rosewill Xtreme Series RX750-D-B 750W Continuous @40°C ,80 PLUS Certified, ATX12V v2.2 & EPS12V v2.91, SLI Ready CrossFire Ready, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7, i5" Power Supply.
I thought I connected everything correctly by manuals and commonsense, but after turning on the power and not getting a startup on screen and no beeps off of buzzer I know something is wrong. What should I do to start fixxing my issue?
My drives dont use HDD cable but the red sata cable. I put this in the red sata ports on motherboard. I did reset pins to clean info for RTC RAM by manual. HELP?
Thanks for any assistance.

More about : built 1st work

September 22, 2010 5:53:06 PM

Gratx on your first build man, welcome to fault-finding, the part people often miss out when they say about building your own hehe :) 
Ok, start basic, sorry if it seems a bit patronising but we've all overlooked silly things on builds
do you have a buzzer installed on the mobo? (if you dont you wont hear it obviously)
is the psu power switch in the correct position? fuse ok?
still no power at all? or does the cpu fan start? any response at all to pressing the on button?
did you install your motherboard on the brass standoffs?
there are guides on the top of homebuild section for breadboarding, but basica procedure is:
take everything back out of the case.
build pc on desk, psu, mobo,processor/cooler,ram and gfx card (if no onboard vga)
this breadboarding is minimum required parts to run, worry about harddrives optical drives and the case later, for now you just want the pc to power up and post
read the sticky guide, go through everything slowly and at least twice, post back any progress you have,
**you say you reset pins? I'm assuming you mean you used the cmos jumper?
Moto
m
l
September 22, 2010 6:20:55 PM

This is a great checklist that solves 99% of all boot problems. Try following it.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-ste...

The most common problem is forgetting that in addition to the large 24 pin power connector, your motherboard will have a secondary (but required) 4 or 8 pin power connector. Lots of people miss that.
m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2010 6:25:21 PM

the other one I missed a lot when I was getting statert building:

the power connectors (power switch, reset switch, speaker, HDD LED, Power LED) from the front case to the motherboard: Make sure you have all of them correctly placed, and no - terminals on + terminals
m
l
September 22, 2010 6:26:58 PM

Welcome and Grats on the first build.

Like Moto said its trial and error...

Just do what he said on the minimal build required to run parts and only put in one stick of RAM to start of with. Also make sure that your main power ATX24 pin and 12V 4 pin power is connected securly.

Good luck.
m
l
September 23, 2010 2:17:34 AM

Thanks for all the help. Gonna strip it back and start over. Gonna check all the points made in post. Don't believe I did every single thing mentioned but some of them. Post back with results.
Preciate cha all for the words of wisdom.
m
l
September 23, 2010 4:46:27 AM

:)  Hey I am just finishing up my first build as well.

Be sure to check that your power connections are actually sticking - my big power connector came loose (from the pressure of the cord), causing it to not start at first.

Also don't forget to turn the power supply itself on before the computer ;) 

And - yeah - my motherboard (also an asus) did NOT come with a speaker, so NO BIOS beep codes on startup. Surprised me, but you can find them fairly cheap (microcenter has them for ~$2.50) - I'm going to pick one up I think.

Good luck with it...
m
l
September 23, 2010 5:17:20 AM

Thanks for everyones help. I missed the pcu power connection and had both memory sticks in. Bios started and windows 7 is installing. Thanks everyone. Had the buzzer on backwards too...duh.
m
l
September 23, 2010 6:10:11 AM

Grats! You got to a good place pretty quickly lol.
m
l
September 23, 2010 6:31:38 AM

Awesome to come home and read good news, take the experience dude :) 
a lot of people build a pc and screw up royally damaging expensive parts, its nice to have 'little' errors with happy endings sometimes :) 
Glad your sorted,
Moto
m
l
September 23, 2010 6:17:36 PM

20thcentboy said:
Thanks for everyones help. I missed the pcu power connection and had both memory sticks in. Bios started and windows 7 is installing. Thanks everyone. Had the buzzer on backwards too...duh.

:sol:  :bounce: 

m
l
September 24, 2010 2:44:28 AM

Congrats!

And, lucky you ;)  My build was working (booted to bios) two nights ago, and suddenly now, there is no power to the mb. No clue what changed/what I broke :(  Yikes... panic.

m
l
!