ATI 5770 with lower nVidia card for PhysX?

punisher 281

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I read somewhere that a member was using an ATI card with a nVidia 9400 (?). He used the 9400 so that he could get the full benefits of games that utilized the PhysX engine. Well I just played the Mafia 2 demo and the PhysX option is a performance killer for my 5770. My motherboard has 2 slots for video cards and I thought I would go down this route to finally be PhysX compatible for pretty cheap.

Which low level nVidia card would be best suited for this? What software would I need to download for these 2 cards to work together? Would this be reliable?

All help is appreciated.

There is a hack that allows you to run an ATI primary card with an Nvidia for physx. I lost the link a while ago, but if you research you will find it. The problem is if drivers change it may stop working and in some cases when physx is not being used it hurts other games. There are few games that support PhysX, but the ones that do you really need an Nvidia card to get the full experience.

punisher 281

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
Well that kind of sucks. I guess I'll have to pick up one of those 460's and a 240. I think it's pretty lame how games are so brand specific that you can't get the full experience unless you buy certain cards.

It is usually just PhysX. I thought ATI was going to make something similar to cope with it, but I haven't read anything lately.

A 460 alone would be fine. I don't think you would really need a 240 for physX. Sometimes it helps if the dedicated card is more powerful than the primary physx chip.

Well, there is a hack for running sli on a x-fire motherboard but im sure it more trouble than it's worth. :heink:
(thats if you're going to be running 2 of the same cards.)

[flash=640,385]http://www.youtube.com/v/hHK4IgRqyZQ?fs=1&hl=en_US&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00[/flash]

But for non sli stuff, yeah, running multiple gpu's not running sli/CF but independently is possible. People do that all the time.

punisher 281

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009

So I can go through with this using that program?

What would everyone recommend for a dedicated PhysX card? I'm looking to spend like $50 on this, but any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

I personally have been doing this with 5870's and a 9800GT.

I simply followed this guide: http://www.overclock.net/graphics-cards-general/633137-guide-enable-ati-nvidia-physx-single.html

A couple things to add:
1) You do not need to make that dummy monitor adapter if you already use a 2nd monitor.
2) When I installed the drivers, I installed the Nvidia drivers while in safe mode, and immediately used the GenL hack before rebooting into normal mode.
3) I've only used the PhysX while playing Sacred 2. I've tried it with both a 8800gts and a 9800gt. With the 8800gts, the game still stutters when there is a lot of action along with physX effects. With the 9800gt is ran smoother.

Or you have to have a 2nd monitor. While it may be ghetto, do you really see it? How often is the back of your computer visible?

Actually, I also found on my Gigabyte MB, I was able to get it to work without either due to an unusual feature. With the physX card in the 1st PCIe-16 slot, and having the motherboard use the 2nd slot for the primary display, it was able to function without anything plugged into it.

9800gt is definately more powerfull than the 210. My personally experience showed the 9800gt was needed for smooth play at max settings when playing Sacred 2. The 8800gts didn't perform well enough, and the 210 is below that if I'm not mistaken.

I believe the 240 or 250 is often recommended for physX. I used the 9800gt because I already had one.

My system is fairly new, and I remember the first time I fired up Unreal Tournament 3 will full PhysX enabled. I was laughing at all the debris and guts flying everywhere. It's pretty cool, but only if you play a game that supports PhysX. So i wouldn't get too discouraged, it is worth looking into, and many people are reporting success. A 9800GT is about $100 on Newegg and a 260 is about $160.