DDR3 vs DDR2 and AMD vs Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snaguoonkee

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2011
I'm looking to either upgrade my computer or build a new machine, and I'm wondering which is better, buying 4GB DDR3 and a new motherboard to upgrade, or buying 4GB DDR2 and a new motherboard along with an AMD Phenom II x3 to build a new machine with.

My RAM and CPU is 2GB PC2-4200 with a Core 2 Duo E6600. DDR2 is twice the price of DDR3 and I have to buy a Phemon II x3 as well, so I'm wondering if building a new machine with it is going to be worth the price.

Solution
Well, you're looking at a new motherboard+CPU+RAM no matter which way you cut it. So I'd do what others have said and go with a Sandy Bridge setup, or possibly wait a couple months and go with an AMD Bulldozer setup.

Don't mess around with another LGA775 motherboard. Sticking with your old CPU and just upgrading to DDR3 is barely going to do anything for your performance, and is essentially a waste of money. Much better off going the new system route. If the budget it tight, save for a few months and you'll get an even better machine than you could now, and for less money - something spiffy is always just around the corner.
G

I Would upgrade the ram and possibly the Graphics card, there is no point updating everything else if your PC is running good. If your going to upgrade get at least PC2-6400 ram, and for a graphics card, if your gaming at least a GTX 260/460/560 and at least a quality 430w PSU (Corsair, Antec) and you would be set. If your not gaming a casual GT 440 or GT 240 will work great even for medium setting gaming. Good luck!

xpanda

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
there is no point updating everything else if your PC is running good.

I have to disagree with not getting a new spanking machine if he's up for it.

It's even better if he has a micro center near him.

I would get this...
http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=21068087

At least swap the Motherboard, CPU and Ram.
The case and PSU from the old might cut it, but its definitely worth upgrading.

If you really do not do much on your PC, and are on a tight budget, then upgrade ram and GFx Card.

Well, you're looking at a new motherboard+CPU+RAM no matter which way you cut it. So I'd do what others have said and go with a Sandy Bridge setup, or possibly wait a couple months and go with an AMD Bulldozer setup.

Don't mess around with another LGA775 motherboard. Sticking with your old CPU and just upgrading to DDR3 is barely going to do anything for your performance, and is essentially a waste of money. Much better off going the new system route. If the budget it tight, save for a few months and you'll get an even better machine than you could now, and for less money - something spiffy is always just around the corner.

Solution

xpanda

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Honestly, it really doesn't matter how bulldozer will preform so if you can wait for Ivy-bridge and Bulldozer to release then get sandy bridge anyway, as its very likely they will lower in price.

I agree on upgrading though.

Edit: Make sure you get windows 7 64 Professional or Home Premium somehow, as they are essential depending on the amount of RAM you get.

That's what I mean about there always being something better just around the corner. If not Sandy Bridge, it's Bulldozer. If not Bullzoder, it's Ivy Bridge. If not Ivy Bridge, it'll be something else 18 months from now. Maybe the price of solid state hard drives finally becomes reasonable, who knows. Point is, there's usually something cool coming in not too long, and that usually also makes the previous-gen stuff cheaper. LGA775 seems to be the one exception to that; it's always stayed about as expensive as ever. For what reason, I have no idea.

xpanda

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011

Implying i don't have that :p
Actualy i7 is better for rendering based applications suck as adobe CS5 Products, Sony Vegas, or Cinema 4D

chillin15

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011

true. For gaming, the i7 offers no significant benefit

Status
Not open for further replies.