Bluetooth headset & Laptop

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
December 30, 2004 9:55:08 PM

HI there.
I have a IBM T42 with bluetooth enabled. I wanted to know how to
connect the Nokia Bluetooth Headset(wireless). HW 3 to the Laptop. I
can get the Laptop to detect the device and connect to it. but cant get
seem to get it started as in there is no sound coming though it.
Generally when you connect headphones to laptops the sound from the
speakers goes off once the headphones are connected . but nothing of
that happens here.
If anyone could help me to ge this working
Thanx
Gaurav Shah
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 31, 2004 12:53:35 AM

Bluetooth wrote:
> HI there.
> I have a IBM T42 with bluetooth enabled. I wanted to know how to
> connect the Nokia Bluetooth Headset(wireless). HW 3 to the Laptop. I
> can get the Laptop to detect the device and connect to it. but cant
> get seem to get it started as in there is no sound coming though it.
> Generally when you connect headphones to laptops the sound from the
> speakers goes off once the headphones are connected . but nothing of
> that happens here.
> If anyone could help me to ge this working
> Thanx
> Gaurav Shah

All that bluetooth does is establish a communication link between two
bluetooth radios. Neither bluetooth radio alone knows anything about the
device to which it is attached or about the device attached to its
associated (linked) radio. Bluetooth has done its only job by
associating with another radio and establishing a *potentially* useable
method of communication. You can view bluetooth as nothing more than a
radio equivalent of a dumb wire cable that automatically plugs itself in
at each end to a matching plug on unknown devices.

So in the end, the computer must have the ability to send its digital
sound signals through its bluetooth radio, i.e., a driver or toggle to a
hardwired sound transmission option that includes its bluetooth radio.
That setting must be in the BIOS, the sound system, or the bluetooth
management system on the laptop. The headset likewise must be designed
to interpret its received radio signal as computer-generated stereo
sound. Simply because you have a bluetooth headset does not necessarily
imply that it can interpret a computer-generated sound signal as the
same kind of sound signal that is transmitted via bluetooth from a
cellular phone.

The universality of bluetooth communications means that any two
bluetooth radios can associate and initiate a common radio link, but
there is much more beyond the bluetooth radios that must be designed
into the devices to use that radio link for a given purpose. Nokia
designed the electronics in both the cell phone and the headset to
utilize the bluetooth radio link for the phone's sound functions. Those
electronics were not designed for general communication of sound from
any other device, like sound from a laptop. Likewise, the laptop
bluetooth radio can be used for any function for which the laptop has
the electronics designed to use its bluetooth radio for that given
function and for which another device has electronics designed to use
its associating radio for that given function.

To do what you want, you probably need a bluetooth adapter that fits
into the laptop headphone jack, and a matching bluetooth stereo headset
designed specifically for that adapter.

a b D Laptop
December 31, 2004 3:22:15 PM

Quaoar wrote:

> Bluetooth wrote:
>> HI there.
>> I have a IBM T42 with bluetooth enabled. I wanted to know how to
>> connect the Nokia Bluetooth Headset(wireless). HW 3 to the Laptop. I
>> can get the Laptop to detect the device and connect to it. but cant
>> get seem to get it started as in there is no sound coming though it.
>> Generally when you connect headphones to laptops the sound from the
>> speakers goes off once the headphones are connected . but nothing of
>> that happens here.
>> If anyone could help me to ge this working
>> Thanx
>> Gaurav Shah
>
> All that bluetooth does is establish a communication link between two
> bluetooth radios. Neither bluetooth radio alone knows anything about the
> device to which it is attached or about the device attached to its
> associated (linked) radio. Bluetooth has done its only job by
> associating with another radio and establishing a *potentially* useable
> method of communication. You can view bluetooth as nothing more than a
> radio equivalent of a dumb wire cable that automatically plugs itself in
> at each end to a matching plug on unknown devices.
>
> So in the end, the computer must have the ability to send its digital
> sound signals through its bluetooth radio, i.e., a driver or toggle to a
> hardwired sound transmission option that includes its bluetooth radio.
> That setting must be in the BIOS, the sound system, or the bluetooth
> management system on the laptop. The headset likewise must be designed
> to interpret its received radio signal as computer-generated stereo
> sound. Simply because you have a bluetooth headset does not necessarily
> imply that it can interpret a computer-generated sound signal as the
> same kind of sound signal that is transmitted via bluetooth from a
> cellular phone.
>
> The universality of bluetooth communications means that any two
> bluetooth radios can associate and initiate a common radio link, but
> there is much more beyond the bluetooth radios that must be designed
> into the devices to use that radio link for a given purpose. Nokia
> designed the electronics in both the cell phone and the headset to
> utilize the bluetooth radio link for the phone's sound functions. Those
> electronics were not designed for general communication of sound from
> any other device, like sound from a laptop. Likewise, the laptop
> bluetooth radio can be used for any function for which the laptop has
> the electronics designed to use its bluetooth radio for that given
> function and for which another device has electronics designed to use
> its associating radio for that given function.
>
> To do what you want, you probably need a bluetooth adapter that fits
> into the laptop headphone jack, and a matching bluetooth stereo headset
> designed specifically for that adapter.

You are greatly overstating the difficulties. The Nokia HDW-3 supports the
industry-standard "Handsfree" and "Headset" profiles. Other than the radio
and associated hardware needed to attach it to the PCI bus there is no
special "hardware" needed to support either of those profiles on the
laptop--it is handled purely in software by the Bluetooth driver stack. If
the driver stack supports either of those profiles then once paired the
headset should work.

The "Gotcha" is that Bluetooth audio plays through the Bluetooth profile,
not the regular sound driver, so that has to be selected in the audio
controls.

I'd never tried this so just for hohos I set up my Bluetooth headset on my
laptop. First step (assuming you're running Windows XP) is to go to "My
Bluetooth Places" and "Detect Hardware". Then set the headset discoverable
by whatever procedure its manual describes. Then it should autodetect and
will need a code, which should also be given in the manual. Once that's
done turn the headset on if it isn't already and click the icon to connect.
Once it's showing connected (facing green arrows on the icon) then go into
"Control Panel" and "Sound Devices" (or something like that--I'm at a
different machine right now), click the "Audio" tab, and select "Bluetooth
Audio Profile" instead of the default. It may be necessary to restart the
sound player (I had to with Winamp), but from that point on sound will play
through the headset, until you change the profile back to the default.

On the Sony HBH-300, the sound quality is other than being mono and playing
through a compressed channel intended for voice with a minuscule speaker
not bad sitting at the machine. In the next room though it starts sounding
like a scratched LP listened to through a garden hose.

--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Related resources
June 22, 2009 7:05:22 PM

The second response/third poster was right on the money. His suggestion worked for me, thanks!

1. First pair up your bluetooth headset to your laptop.
2. Then go into your Control Panel in XP and into the Sound & Audio Devices Properties.
3. Click on the Audio Tab and set the Default Playback device to be Bluetooth. (I had two options Bluetooth High Quality Audio and Bluetooth Audio, I choose the higher quality one.)
4. Click Apply/OK
5. Restart your music player, in my case this was Winamp too. After I did that the laptop and the bluetooth headset were able to communicate and I was jamming out to music on my headset.

I was using an IBM Lenovo T60 Laptop with Bluetooth and the new Motorola S9-HD headset. This was the first day with the headset and I was able to connect it to my laptop and my IPhone 3G S. It's working pretty well right now, skips a little bit with the laptop but not much.

Pretty good with the IPhone 3G, only thing you can't do is skip tracks on the IPhone but the answer call buttton and volume controls work.

Thanks again John.

Cheers,

Mike

October 29, 2009 8:07:40 PM

I am trying to connect my headset to my laptop.

I purchased a bluetooth dongle, and the driver automatically installed. I went to bluetooth devices and I can add the device, but it doesn't pair with the laptop. I tried to right click on the bluetooth logo, but there is only an option to send a file or receive a file. There is no connect to device when I right click.

I downloaded BlueSoleil 6 and it works. It ultimately quite because it wanted me to purchase the software and it was only a demo version. Do I have BT software that is inadequate? Am I missing a step?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
November 4, 2009 4:13:01 PM

I have restaged a Lenovo T61. I used to be able to use my Plantronics ATT V521 bluetooth headset before I restaged, but no longer. I have paired the bluetooth device and it is showing as connected on My Bluetooth Places, but this device does not show up in the device list of the Audio tab (Sounds and Audio Device Properties). How do I get this included as an entry in the device list?
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2010 11:50:28 PM

Quote:

noemail9813 10-29-2009 at 10:07:40 PM
Show message
- 0 +

I am trying to connect my headset to my laptop.

I purchased a bluetooth dongle, and the driver automatically installed. I went to bluetooth devices and I can add the device, but it doesn't pair with the laptop. I tried to right click on the bluetooth logo, but there is only an option to send a file or receive a file. There is no connect to device when I right click.

I downloaded BlueSoleil 6 and it works. It ultimately quite because it wanted me to purchase the software and it was only a demo version. Do I have BT software that is inadequate? Am I missing a step?

1st of all do not use bluesoliel software. it corrupts the driver of ur integrated bluetooth.

1) go to bluetooth devices-> add device-> the device appears->connect -> default passcode is 0000

2)go to bluetooth devices-> bluetooth settings-> audio tab-> select it and click on connect

3) go to control panel-> sound-> playback-> select bluetooth audio hand-free-> set as default.

4) do the Evil plan laugh boohaaa ha ha ha ha :na:  :na:  :na:
October 29, 2011 7:44:08 PM

you solved my problem! thanks alot!
!