Trouble locking down desktop icons

Ed

Every time I boot up my icons get all collected along the left side of the
desktop, like the default way Windows does it.

This is a new phenomenon. I had them all in certain places (I like my
recycle bin in the lower-righthand corner, e.g.), but now whenever I reboot
Windows doesn't remember where I kept my icons.

I've done the right-click/Properties/Desktop/Customize Desktop/Web and
clicked the "Lock Desktop Items" box, but that doesn't seem to work.

Is there another way?

In news:F804E087-15CA-42A7-B02C-8F5FD944BCE7@microsoft.com,
Ed <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

> Every time I boot up my icons get all collected along the left
> side
> of the desktop, like the default way Windows does it.
>
> This is a new phenomenon. I had them all in certain places (I
> like my
> recycle bin in the lower-righthand corner, e.g.), but now
> whenever I
> reboot Windows doesn't remember where I kept my icons.
>
> I've done the right-click/Properties/Desktop/Customize
> Desktop/Web and
> clicked the "Lock Desktop Items" box, but that doesn't seem to
> work.

Right-click and choose "Arrange Icons by." Is "Autoarrange"
checked? If so, click it to uncheck it.

Please reply to the newsgroup

Ed

Nope, it wasn't. All that's checked is :

Align to grid
Show desktop items
Lock Web items on desktop

"Ken Blake" wrote:

> In news:F804E087-15CA-42A7-B02C-8F5FD944BCE7@microsoft.com,
> Ed <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
>
> > Every time I boot up my icons get all collected along the left
> > side
> > of the desktop, like the default way Windows does it.
> >
> > This is a new phenomenon. I had them all in certain places (I
> > like my
> > recycle bin in the lower-righthand corner, e.g.), but now
> > whenever I
> > reboot Windows doesn't remember where I kept my icons.
> >
> > I've done the right-click/Properties/Desktop/Customize
> > Desktop/Web and
> > clicked the "Lock Desktop Items" box, but that doesn't seem to
> > work.
>

> Right-click and choose "Arrange Icons by." Is "Autoarrange"
> checked? If so, click it to uncheck it.

> Please reply to the newsgroup

If Lock Web Items on Desktop is checked...
Items can be moved, but they are moved back after reboot.

Right click Desktop | Arrange Icons By |

UNCheck: Auto Arrange
[[Arrange the icons in columns along the left side of your screen.]]

UNCheck: Lock Web Items on Desktop
[[Specifies whether Web content windows or items that *you* have placed on
your desktop are locked in place and can’t be moved. Select the check box to
lock Web content in place. Clear the check box if you want to be able to
move Web content.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In news:BEF18E14-AD74-4327-94F7-620C9C149EC6@microsoft.com,
Ed <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:

"Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Every time I boot up my icons get all collected along the left side of the
> desktop, like the default way Windows does it.
>
> This is a new phenomenon. I had them all in certain places (I like my
> recycle bin in the lower-righthand corner, e.g.), but now whenever I
> reboot
> Windows doesn't remember where I kept my icons.
>
> I've done the right-click/Properties/Desktop/Customize Desktop/Web and
> clicked the "Lock Desktop Items" box, but that doesn't seem to work.
>
> Is there another way?

Go to line 188 -- right side, at:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm:
Download and run that item.
Be sure you have "Align to Grid "checked in "Arrange Icons By"
You can then right click on desktop and save/restore your layout.

Download

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 09:15:02 -0700, "Ed" <Ed@discussions.microsoft.com>

>Nope, it wasn't. All that's checked is :

>Align to grid
>Show desktop items
>Lock Web items on desktop

try: