Sign in with
Your question

9 x 1080p (5760x3240) video playback.

Last response: in Systems
September 22, 2010 6:58:00 PM

This is a pretty interesting project, with a couple of ways to do it. I'll start by saying: I've been out of the performance computer market for a while. I've mostly been doing small mini-itx low power consumption builds. So I am by no means up-to-date on the newest graphics card offerings.

I'm building a 9 screen video wall with touch screen control interface (similar to this LINK. Each of the screens will need to play full resolution 1080p video. When selected, one of the videos will become "fullscreen" and take over the wall. The nine videos change at user selection, but will always be the same 9 per set. (it could be made into a 5760x3240 video) Right now, I'm thinking the control and video wall systems will be seperate and send networked commands. So I pretty much have the following options to do this:

1) Use a prebuilt system, 9xMedia video wall server.
2) Use a 9 computer cluster and sync video. The full screen video would be seperated into 9 portions
3) Build a b**ching supercomputer to play all nine screens at once.

I pretty much have a $20k budget max to accomplish this (quote from 9xMedia). It would be awesome to DIY and come in quite a bit below that though. I'm not really sure how much processing power is going to be needed to pull this off.

The Asus P6T7 WS supercomputer looks pretty promising. If I throw in a Intel Core i7-980X and Some 4xSLI Nvidia cards w/CUDA do you think that would even come close? Would the GTX 470 or Quadro series be better for straight up video playback.

Otherwise, I'm starting to
September 22, 2010 7:07:40 PM

I'll be honest, I know low-end enthusiast gaming builds, but wouldn't know where to start with this one. Quad-crossfire 5970s in a dual 6-core xeon or magney-cours?
m
l
September 22, 2010 7:21:25 PM

If your just playing video i dont think you'll need a computer that strong. I think the only problem would be getting enough ports, youd probably need 2x5870 definition editions to get 12 ports.
m
l
Related resources
September 22, 2010 7:45:27 PM

I only see one viable option and that is option 3. Seeing has this pc will have very specific uses It's hard to find a pre-built one that suits your needs at an acceptable price.

The question is really what do you want this thing to do?

As bavman said using this only for video you could get away with a 1500dollar pc(if eyefinity scales which I think it does).

I'm assuming your screenwall will cost a several grand but still 20k leaves worlds of possibilities.

m
l
September 22, 2010 9:35:22 PM

Wow, I thought the forum screwed up and this post didn't go through....nice!

Thanks for the replies. Have things really progressed that far/fast? I figured decoding a video that size would take some serious power. That resolution is beyond even 4k. Maybe this image will help visualize: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:UHDV.svg

Again though, I'm not up-to-date on anything performance wise these past 4yr. I've seen a few options for 6 ports such as the eyefinity 6 mentioned above; that 12 is pretty cool though.

I'm just trying to get a grasp how much processing/gpu power is required to essentially decode 9 1080p videos simultaneously. Anything other than that will be done by another computer. Essentially, it'll just encompass a player receiving network commands to play various video files.
m
l
September 23, 2010 7:12:06 AM

I'm not sure how intensive video encoding is, but I can assure you that even the weakest of the most modern cards can do it properly. That being said a 5970 or 2 5870s are both more than 9 times more powerfull than some of those modern cards. So logically they should be able to power 9 screens as opposed to 1. Also those eyefinity cards are designed to power as many screens as they have ports(otherwise it would be kind of retarded lol) and 1900X1080 is a very standerd resolution so I doubt very much that there will be any difficulties.

I'm not really how video encoding scales so I really can't assure anything. But the worst case senario is you need to buy another 5970 or 5870.

Personally I find it quite a waste to have such a powerfull PC and only use it for such a specific and limited task. I would go for one insane pc and power everything computer related with that. If you wait for the new intel proccesors they feature fibre optics so you can even get instant connection from quite a distance.

I'm assuming this pc will be in the same building as your other pc otherwise forget the above paragraph :p .
m
l
July 2, 2011 6:37:01 PM

Hi
Im looking at doing a 5760 1080 video playback on one eyefinity.

My question is what HD codec will work with such oversized video files?

H264 and MPEG2 both max out long before that resolution.
When exporting from my video program H264 only offers 4k and mpeg2 is only 1920 1080.

Multiple videos played synchronized on a pc isn't possible as there doesn't seen to be any software that does it on a budget.
m
l
December 7, 2011 8:01:11 PM

Although its been a while since I first posted this, we're revisiting this exhibit since its scheduled to be built early next year. I'm finally close to getting my hands on the actual video content.
m
l
!