1333 or 1600?

xpanda

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I built a new PC a few days ago. I'm only 15 so it was my first one and went through POST with no problems.
But how should my RAM be setup?

It was set for default on boot-up at 1333 1.65v but through little research i found anything about 1.5v is putting more stress on the CPU.

I have a ASUS P8Z68-V Mobo and a Intel Core i7 2600k.
Because i don't want to over stress my CPU even more when OCing i should keep my ram at 1.5v 1333?
Do i need to change the timings from 9-9-9-24?

At the moment i'm waiting to get Win7 Ultimate 64 bit from a friend, so there is no rush as far as Ram settings.

Thanks in Advance!

Solution
G

I'm A Newer builder myself and don't usually play around with RAM Settings, For voltage do what you think is safer, again you don't even need to change anything. If 1.5v is stable and comfortable then leave it, You may want to do some benchmarks and stress tests on the RAM And CPU To make sure its stable, if its not change it. Every Board is different and Every CPU is different.. I couldn't recommend anything as I Don't think i'm using the same ram as you, and I Don't have the same...
G

I Would change it, though it is not necessarily required as Intel CPU's seem to be able to handle these things, Especially the i7. If you change the timings and voltage it will not only speed up your CPU and Potentially ram, but you lower the risk of overheating the CPU. If you have good cooling and a good CPU Cooler i wouldn't worry to much about it But then again it is safer to change it. Good luck! Nice system you have therrr

xpanda

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I Would change it, though it is not necessarily required as Intel CPU's seem to be able to handle these things, Especially the i7. If you change the timings and voltage it will not only speed up your CPU and Potentially ram, but you lower the risk of overheating the CPU. If you have good cooling and a good CPU Cooler i wouldn't worry to much about it But then again it is safer to change it. Good luck! Nice system you have therrr

Thanks but would you happen to have good settings for this ram to run at 1333 and even 1600?
I do Prefer 1.5v because i don't want to take any chances with my CPU.
Honestly i'm very new, but i'm lucky to have a the UEFI bios, its very user friendly.

G

I'm A Newer builder myself and don't usually play around with RAM Settings, For voltage do what you think is safer, again you don't even need to change anything. If 1.5v is stable and comfortable then leave it, You may want to do some benchmarks and stress tests on the RAM And CPU To make sure its stable, if its not change it. Every Board is different and Every CPU is different.. I couldn't recommend anything as I Don't think i'm using the same ram as you, and I Don't have the same CPU or Mobo as you.. Do what you think is safe and make sure to be sure the CPU and ram are stable.

(I Take no responsibility if you break your CPU or ram or somethun lol)

Solution

xpanda

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2011
I'm A Newer builder myself and don't usually play around with RAM Settings, For voltage do what you think is safer, again you don't even need to change anything. If 1.5v is stable and comfortable then leave it, You may want to do some benchmarks and stress tests on the RAM And CPU To make sure its stable, if its not change it. Every Board is different and Every CPU is different.. I couldn't recommend anything as I Don't think i'm using the same ram as you, and I Don't have the same CPU or Mobo as you.. Do what you think is safe and make sure to be sure the CPU and ram are stable.

(I Take no responsibility if you break your CPU or ram or somethun lol)

Thanks alot, i'll just leave this as solved then.
:)