System won't boot with 2 ram sticks

Hi Guys,

I just assembled a new system (no OS installed yet). When I first started it there came just a long beep out of the system speaker, lasting for about 5 sec., stopping for 3 sec. and repeating over and over again. No video either. I read in the manual of my mainboard that this was a graphics card error.
But it wasn't. The system didn't even start with another, working vga installed. Same error beep code and no video.
Then i looked further and removed one of the two ram sticks installed (Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB, see specs below). The system started. Then i seperately checked both ram sticks on the DDR3_1 and DDR3_2 (blue and white primaries) and the system started, too. So it's not the ram sticks.
But the system doesn't start with one stick on the secondaries (e.g. only DDR3_3), don't know if that is normal.
And as mentioned above, it doesn't start with both sticks installed on dual channel mode (e.g. DDR3_1 + DDR3_3 or DDR3_2 + DDR3_4)
I even booted with one stick, went into the bios and changed the settings to 8-8-8-24 and voltage 1.5v (as specified, the other values weren't changed), but it didn't start with both ram sticks installed either.
I know my ram is not on the compatibility list of the mainboard, but i never had problems with that. And shouldn't both sticks work if one of them works? What could be the problem?

My specs are as follows:
MB: Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 ->Product Page
CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition, 3.2GHz, Socket AM3
RAM: Corsair Vengeance, 2x4GB, DDR3-1600, CMZ8GX3M2A1600C8 ->Product Page
VGA: Sapphire HD 6870 1GB, PCI-E x16
PSU: be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER, E8 CM 680W 80plus Silber
Cooler: coolIT ECO, all-in-one Mini-WaCo CPU-Cooler

Thanks for the help,
m45k
5 answers Last reply
More about system boot sticks
  1. test your ram with memtes86+, try 1 by 1 , follow instruction from memtest. If your have feature memtest use it
  2. test your ram with memtes86+, try 1 by 1 , follow instruction from memtest. If your mobo have feature memtest use it
  3. Thank you for the fast reply.

I've now tested both sticks separately (with boot version of memtest86 v4.0) and both of them keep getting stuck at 25% in Test 7 "Block Move". There are popping up errors with a rate of 200/sec. I stopped the test at 300K Errors because it seemed like testing the same over and over.
    Are both of my ram sticks defective?
  4. try the ram piece by piece, if one of the ram is working when booting the system so, it means it is not compatible with each other... thanks...
  5. and be sure again that the RAM slot is also clean, clean use compressor for dust ! in testing RAM the system should be the default, and you have tested one by one and tried in another slot. it means the RAM ready to RMA
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte DDR3 RAM Motherboards