[New Build] Problems with home/new built computer

Hello,

Here are my computer parts:

BIOSTAR TA785G3HD AM3 AMD 785G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

AMD Athlon II X4 640 Propus 3.0GHz Socket AM3 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor ADX640WFGMBOX

HIS H577FK1GD Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card w/ Eyefinity

Antec Nine Hundred + EA650 Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case 650W Power Supply

AVEXIR AVD3U13330902G-2S Standard 4GB kit (RAM)

SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black EIDE/ATAPI Model SH-S222A - OEM

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

So, I am done building my computer and i have some issues with it. It runs , however when I plug in my dvi-to-vga to graphic card I have no picture on my monitor. If i plug my vga cable monitor to motherboard, it works.

Also, when using my dvd-burner, it doesn't work properly. For example, when i tried to install Battlefield BC2, instead of giving me a installation screen it says it is not a valid win32 application. And I know that the cd is working because i tried it on another computer. When I go into "My computer", it shows that my dvd-rom is dvd-ram which i find kinda weird.

Also, it seems that I am missing my secondary hard drive on "my computer". In device manager it says it is there but it isn't in "my computer".

I don't know what is going wrong, the graphic card is running fine, because I see the fan spinning. I tried downloading all the drivers, etc.... for mobo and graphic card.

That is the graphic card I have. I installed the drivers on my motherboard, one of those drivers include a on chipset ATI radeon 4200. Could it be that the radeon 4200 be blocking the existence of the hd 5770? It comes with this "Power Cable 2x 4pin in, 6 pin out", I did not plug that cable in the computer since I thought putting the card mobo would work.

As for the dvd-rom issue, I have tried to put in the driver cd for the mother board and the HIS graphic card. And it would not run the exe for some reason. However, if i put a music cd, it would work.

I just bought a 500 gb drive. It is brand new, so I guess i have to format it.
9 answers Last reply
More about build problems home built computer
  1. Ok you need the PCI express power cable plugged into your video card bcause the motherboard won't supply enough power. That should take care of your video problems.
    Before you installed windows, did you set the BIOS to AHCI mode? You should do that before installing windows.
    Is the secondary hard drive formatted? Windows will not recognize unformatted drives.

I wouldn't worry about a designation of DVD ram, it means the same thing. I would be more worried about attempting to run drives in AHCI mode if you installed in IDE.

I recommend if you can't adjust the bIOS to use a ll your drives, re-install windows AFTER setting the BIOS to AHCI mode.
  2. deuscypher said:

That is the graphic card I have. I installed the drivers on my motherboard, one of those drivers include a on chipset ATI radeon 4200. Could it be that the radeon 4200 be blocking the existence of the hd 5770? It comes with this "Power Cable 2x 4pin in, 6 pin out", I did not plug that cable in the computer since I thought putting the card mobo would work.
    The 5770 REQUIRES a 6 pin PCIE power cable to work properly. The motherboard only gives enough power to spin the fan. You dont need that adapter, your nice Antec EA 650 has both a 6pin and 6+2 (8pin with 2 that break off) PCIE power plug. You need to plug one of those into the graphics card.

Did you install windows on this computer, or did you bring an HDD with windows already installed over from another computer? Some of the problems with the DVD and such could be from having the wrong drivers installed if you didnt install windows fresh and use the disk that came with the motherboard to get the correct drivers installed.
  3. I have installed a fresh new copy of windows, using my old drive and i reformated it while installing fresh copies of windows.
  4. buzznut said:
    Ok you need the PCI express power cable plugged into your video card bcause the motherboard won't supply enough power. That should take care of your video problems.
    Before you installed windows, did you set the BIOS to AHCI mode? You should do that before installing windows.
    Is the secondary hard drive formatted? Windows will not recognize unformatted drives.

I wouldn't worry about a designation of DVD ram, it means the same thing. I would be more worried about attempting to run drives in AHCI mode if you installed in IDE.

I recommend if you can't adjust the bIOS to use a ll your drives, re-install windows AFTER setting the BIOS to AHCI mode.

Where do I format the drive, in BIOS? The secondary drive doesn't appear in my computer.

How can i set BIOS to ACHI mode?

Here are some pictures of the BIOS:

5. deuscypher said:

Where do I format the drive, in BIOS? The secondary drive doesn't appear in my computer.

How can i set BIOS to ACHI mode?

So you typically format the drive during windows setup, even if it is not the boot drive. There are 3rd party software programs that can do this. In the BIOS, you could try to get the BIOS to recognize the drive by highlighting the drive in that screen showing all the attached drives and hit "enter." You'll know you've succeeded when it shows you info on the drive.

You could use a command line prompt to do a format disk.

If you can see the drive in windows (but not use it) after prompting the BIOS to look at the drive, then I would right click on the drive in windows and choose "format drive." Make sure you right click on the right drive, which could be D:\ since C:\ should be the windows drive.

AHCI mode is usually found under a heading of "SATA Mode" or "IDE mode". It seems to me it could be under the page titled "IDE Devices" or "PCI and other devices"
    Regardless, unless you inadvertently changed the mode to "AHCI mode" or "mixed", that probably won't be an issue with the current OS installation. By default, most motherboards will be set to "IDE Mode" so that would be the legacy mode of operation for SATA drives. IDE is used for PATA drives. Mixed is supposed to allow you to use AHCI mode for SATA drives and IDE for older hard drives and IDE cdroms but I've never had much success with mixed mode. It typically stops me from booting into windows. So much for "spose to work."

If you intend on re-installing windows to alleviate some of these issues and to format all drives, then determine where the AHCI mode setting is contained in the BIOS before you start to install. Set it to AHCI, then save and reboot to boot from disk and run the install routine.
  6. Go in Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer management/Storage/Disk management and you'll see your HDDs in there -> right click and format NTFS (the one that you need to, not the one that you can access).

Go in Device manager (Control Panel/System/Hardware) and check out if the DVD is working properly (right click on it - properties).

Look at the IDE/ATA/ATAPI controllers (right click on all of them) and make sure they're in the "DMA if available" mode.
  7. Ok, buzznut, I'm very confused in what you are saying. I am a newb and this material becomes very foreign to me.
  8. He is using an old IDE drive. Are they even capable of AHCI? I that that was SATA only.
  9. Ok, so here is what I did. I just got rid of one of my old drives for now. I didn't know how to format it right. So I just installed windows xp on both drives so that My Computer can recognize it. However, when I try to format the windows that was originally installed in my first drive, it says the process can not be completed.

Also, with the dvd-rom problem, I thought it was the new cd/dvd reader so I shipped it out for a RMA, and try to use my old dvd drive. My old cd/dvd drive was working yesterday when installing stuff. However, today when I try clicking the cd drive it gives me a error called D:/ is not a valid win32 operation. , this has also happened to the new drive that I shipped out for RMA.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Computer Systems