How to wipe HDD with bad sectors?

gogfly

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
My HDD has quite a lot bad sectors. I'd like to dump it. But before doing that, I want to wipe it thoroughly. I tried some disk wipers, but they are just too slow and hang on the bad sectors. Is there some tool that can wipe HDD with bad sectors quickly and reliably?

Any "wiping" software has to write to the drive, and the more you write to an already failing drive, more bad sectors will appear until the drive fails completely. So you will get nowhere fast. It's not worth the effort and the drive should be scrapped immediately.

If you're intention is to eradicate all data from it before scrapping it, take it outside on to some thick concreted area, don some goggles and strike it several times with a large hammer. To ensure it cannot be connected to a PC, destroy the connection pins with a pair of snipping pliers.

That should be totally effective in rendering the drive useless to anyone.

cball1311

Honorable
Dec 15, 2012

That's the best answer I have read on here yet :lol: It's always fun when you get to whip a hammer and obliterate something.
Happy New Year!

gogfly

Honorable
Jan 1, 2013
I have got a tool WBD(Wipe Bad Disk). It does not hang on bad sectors, and is very fast.