Controlling Windows start-up

I have a few programs that start after I boot up. They automatically go into
the sytem tray and run. How do I configure WinXP so I can control what starts
up and what doesn't? Thanks.
3 answers Last reply
More about controlling windows start

    "=?Utf-8?B?VmlubmllIEJhcmJhcmlubw==?=" <Vinnie
    Barbarino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in

    > I have a few programs that start after I boot up. They automatically
    > go into the sytem tray and run. How do I configure WinXP so I can
    > control what starts up and what doesn't? Thanks.

    If you can't find a setting/option to disable startup at boot time try
    'autoruns' from 'www.sysinternals.com'.

    Hi

    You can either go into those programs and have a look for a startup option
    and disable it, or have a look in msconfig>startup to see if the program is
    referenced there. If so, uncheck it and then reboot your system.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

    "Vinnie Barbarino" <Vinnie Barbarino@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
    message news:594E188C-B6EC-48C0-9781-2E849638E969@microsoft.com...
    >I have a few programs that start after I boot up. They automatically go
    >into
    > the sytem tray and run. How do I configure WinXP so I can control what
    > starts
    > up and what doesn't? Thanks.

    In news:594E188C-B6EC-48C0-9781-2E849638E969@microsoft.com,
    Vinnie Barbarino <Vinnie Barbarino@discussions.microsoft.com>
    typed:

    > I have a few programs that start after I boot up. They
    > automatically
    > go into the sytem tray and run. How do I configure WinXP so I
    > can
    > control what starts up and what doesn't? Thanks.

    First, note that you should be concerned with *all* programs that
    start automatically, not just with those that go into the tray.
    Not all autostarting programs manifest themselves by an icon in
    the tray.

    On each program you don't want to start automatically, check its
    Options to see if it has the choice not to start (make sure you
    actually choose the option not to run it, not just a "don't show
    icon" option). Many can easily and best be stopped that way. If
    that doesn't work, run MSCONFIG from the Start | Run line, and on
    the Startup tab, uncheck the programs you don't want to start
    automatically.

    However, if I were you, I wouldn't do this just for the purpose
    of running the minimum number of programs. Despite what many
    people tell you, you should be concerned, not with how *many* of
    these programs you run, but *which*. Some of them can hurt
    performance severely, but others have no effect on performance.

    Don't just stop programs from running willy-nilly. What you
    should do is determine what each program is, what its value is to
    you, and what the cost in performance is of its running all the
    time. You can get more information about these at
    http://castlecops.com/StartupList.html. If you can't find it
    there, try google searches and ask about specifics here.

    Once you have that information, you can make an intelligent
    informed decision about what you want to keep and what you want
    to get rid of.

    Please reply to the newsgroup

Configuration Boot Microsoft Windows XP