Lost all USB ports and now sound...

BleapingTom

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010
Last major changes to my system:

Two days ago my USB ports were fine (all of them) and I had sound.
Two nights ago I upgraded some software. After the upgrade my sound was still there and my USB ports functioning (my sound card was connected to a USB port).

When I was shutting the system down I turned off one power bar that had my sound power amp/mixer/ which was connected to my USB sound card which was connected to my motheboard.

Yesterday I played a song on the computer, so sound was working at some point then.

Soon after that there was no sound at all, and none of the USB ports work.
The USB device drivers say all is well, but that's not the case.

No matter what I plug into any of the USB ports, nothing is recognized.

The only life there is, are lights that come on for my USB stick and USB hard drive. That's it.

Any easy way to check if the ports are all fried? And how do I get my sound back?

One more piece to the puzzle. When I go into the BIOS the USB hard drive isn't showing up as a bootable device, as it always was previously (not showing up at all).

I have since re-imaged my hard drive to a known working system time.
No change with the sound or usb ports. :(

TIA

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Do a reinstall right over existing, at some point it should present an option to repair existing install, you might try removing the upgraded software, first, can always fix later, see what happens...:)

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
Windows usually detects devices when they're plugged in and, if necessary, installs drivers. USB devices are Plug and Play devices, so there is little that you can do to control or configure them.

But if your USB does not work after you plug it in, it’s because of one of the following issues:
1. Windows can’t find a driver for the USB device
2. Windows doesn't recognize the USB device
3. There's a problem with the device
To check the status of a device - Open Device Manager>Double-click the appropriate device category, and then look for an entry for the device you are having a problem with (sample your USB audio device). Right-click the entry for your USB device, and then click Properties. Click the General tab, and then look in the Device status box to see if it mentions any problems with the device ,specifically, a problem with the driver.
4. The driver for the device is faulty
You can download another software from their web site.
5. The USB port is defective
Try plugging the device into a different port or try plugging it on another computer to check if it is detected (If it is detected then it is ok)
6. The device isn't getting enough power

Well in your case - Try these:
1. Reset the BIOS to it's factory settings, see if it works.
2. Unplug other USB devices then go to Device Manager - Right click on the device with problem try re scanning for new hardware, update the drivers. You may need the motherboard disc which comes with computer when you purchase it then insert it on the optical drive then it's usually autorun, try look for Chipset - install then restart the computer. Hope that helps.

BleapingTom

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2010

Thanks Deane!
I reset my BIOS and different things happened.

1. My system wouldn't start (I was REALLY scared!)
I had to go over to my computer and press the start button (I had set my BIOS years ago to start up the computer when I switched on the power bar).

2. I was presented with MS's infamous message that my system needed reactivation! And I was given three days to do it this time (not 30 days, as before).

I spent about two (2) hours on the phone with eight (8) different MS reps.
In the end, they said a tech person would call me back within 24 hrs. to help me reactivate Windows!

3. Under Sounds/Audio devices/Midi Music Playback, MS GS Wavetable SW synth is showing up now!

4. Under Under Sounds/Audio devices/Sound playback and recording
the drivers for my built-in sound card are now showing. (also icon showing in bottom status bar).

Ever since a lightning strike on my cable modem/computer a couple of years ago, my sound card portion of my mb has been wacko.

The lightning strike fried my cable modem outright.
It also fried a LAN port. I thought it had fried both LAN ports, as I tried the second one and it didn't work either.

I went out and bought a PCI LAN card and have been using that for the past couple of years for my internet connection.

Yesterday when I was messing around in my BIOS (before I read your post) I noticed that there was a setting for LAN ports and that the 2nd LAN port was disabled!

I enabled it and guess what, it works! Now I can remove the PCI LAN card I bought two years ago.

So the lightning strike took out my cable modem and messed up my sound card on my mb. That was it. Everything else worked fine.

When I say "messed up", here's what I mean.
The 'dedicated' drivers for the sound card load up only once in a blue moon (maybe once every few months).
BUT, I was able to hear sound/music/videos through the Logitech USB speakers that I have (I guess through the generic Win drivers?)

When I tried to record using the mic in jack on my sound card, it didn't work.

The speaker out jack works and I believe the line in works.

5. I just downloaded and installed a driver that GOM Player requested (mpg123dsf1045.exe). After installation I have sound now through the Line Out of my sound card (Youtube, midi recordings, .wav files).
But my USB speakers aren't working (I used these 99% of the time before).

So basically, the BIOS factory reset has given me back sound (after a driver download and install) which is sort of a relief, but my USB ports still aren't working/recognizing anything.

As for your second option to try above, it's a catch-22. I need a USB port to plug in my CD/DVD player with my MB disc. :(