Why must I login after added .NET?

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

I didn't have to at first. But after installing the .NET Framework, I have
to click my user icon before the computer will finish booting up. It's a
drag. I want the computer to boot up completely without my having to hover
over it. How can I skip this step? Must I uninstall .NET?
2 answers Last reply
More about login added
  1. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.network_web (More info?)

    Common issue. :o)

    Welcome to Windows Screen Appears When You Start Windows XP After You
    Install the .NET Framework 1.1: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=827072

    To correct:

    1. Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2 and press ok.

    2. On the Users tab, left click your user name then clear the Users Must
    Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then click
    OK.

    3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the "user name
    and password" for the account you want to be logged on each time you start
    your computer.

    Added note: (Alex MVP)

    If you want to logon to one of the other users, hold down shift as the
    system boots up.

    Tip:

    Add Control UserPasswords2 to the Control Panel (Line 1)

    Remove ASPNET from the Welcome Screen for Auto Logon (Line 352) Right hand
    side

    Resolves the Auto Logon within 1.1 issue:

    Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Service Pack 1
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=a8f5654f-088e-40b2-bbdb-a83353618b38&displaylang=en

    --

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "Hiawatha Bray" <watha@monitortan.com> wrote in message
    >I didn't have to at first. But after installing the .NET Framework, I have
    >to click my user icon before the computer will finish booting up. It's a
    >drag. I want the computer to boot up completely without my having to hover
    >over it. How can I skip this step? Must I uninstall .NET?

    Are you the same Hiawatha Bray who writes a technology column for the Boston
    Globe?

    Alan

    >I didn't have to at first. But after installing the .NET Framework, I have
    >to click my user icon before the computer will finish booting up. It's a
    >drag. I want the computer to boot up completely without my having to hover
    >over it. How can I skip this step? Must I uninstall .NET?

Configuration Login Computers Microsoft Windows XP