Older digital SLR

Last response: in Digital Camera
January 5, 2005 2:52:02 AM

Hi all. I was considering to buy a digital SLR, but having seen the prices
are around $1000, and thinking any camera I buy today will be worth less
than half in 1-2 years (and, what is worst, it will be half the fun and
proudness to me to own...), I were wondering if it could be wiser to look
for a used older digital SLR, as the Olympus E-10/E-20, or maybe Fuji S1.
They are 4/5 megapixels but have great lenses and got great reviews when
they were new. They go on eBay from $350 to $500 or more.
Is anyone gone this way, or have you any thoughts on that?
Bye

--
Sergio La Marca
Tredici (CE), Italy

More about : older digital slr

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:52:03 AM

A used 300D would be worth investigating. Many owners are upgrading to
20Ds.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:52:03 AM

Sergio La Marca wrote:
>> Hi all. I was considering to buy a digital SLR, but having seen the
>> prices are around $1000, and thinking any camera I buy today will be
>> worth less than half in 1-2 years (and, what is worst, it will be
>> half the fun and proudness to me to own...), I were wondering if it
>> could be wiser to look for a used older digital SLR, <snip>

This should help you to identify older digital models in the Canon line:
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/digital/f_ind...

For those interested in taking a stroll down Canon memory lane... enjoy...
http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/index.html

Kevin
January 5, 2005 2:52:03 AM

"Sergio La Marca" <slamarca@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi all. I was considering to buy a digital SLR, but having seen the prices
> are around $1000, and thinking any camera I buy today will be worth less
> than half in 1-2 years (and, what is worst, it will be half the fun and
> proudness to me to own...), I were wondering if it could be wiser to look
> for a used older digital SLR, as the Olympus E-10/E-20, or maybe Fuji S1.
> They are 4/5 megapixels but have great lenses and got great reviews when
> they were new. They go on eBay from $350 to $500 or more.
> Is anyone gone this way, or have you any thoughts on that?
> Bye
>
> --
> Sergio La Marca
> Tredici (CE), Italy
> slamarca@libero.it

While the Oly E-10/20 isn't a true SLR (non interchangeable lens) it is an
excellent camera. We had an E-10, and we really miss it. Or at least my
wife does. We sold it to her mom, and we've been trying to buy it back ever
since, but mom won't budge...
The only thing that I didn't like about it was a seemingly interminable
shutter lag, compared to true SLRs, like my Canon D30. But it had excellent
image quality, mainly due to its outstanding lens.
BTW, and older SLR like the D30 can be had for around $400US, or less, and
with the better Canon lenses, gives pretty good results.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

"Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message
>A used 300D would be worth investigating. Many owners are upgrading to
>20Ds.

I agree with buying an older model. It doesn't matter whether it's current
year (used) or a couple of years old. Someone else has already taken the
depreciation hit. When buying a used camera check the actuations on the
camera and it will give you an idea of how much it's been used. Each model
is different on whether you can check the shutter actuations or not. The
Nikon D100 (had one) has to be sent or taken to a Nikon service center.
Shutter life is only an estimate on how much life is left. Obviously there
are many other components of a digital camera that can do bad, but it's at
least a starting point on used bodies. Some people had purchased a Mack
extended warranty which is transferable to a new owner for $15 (according to
their website). Good luck in your search.

mitch
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:40:06 AM

Charles Schuler wrote:
> A used 300D would be worth investigating. Many owners are upgrading to
> 20Ds.

They still seem to be going for $700 or more.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:54:07 AM

"Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:p rcfrc.lh5.ln@192.168.11.2...
> Charles Schuler wrote:
> > A used 300D would be worth investigating. Many owners are upgrading to
> > 20Ds.
> >

> They still seem to be going for $700 or more.

> Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia

Yes, actually I'd put a $300-$350 limit to my search.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:54:07 AM

"Mitch" <lawdoggys3@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio

> "Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message
> >A used 300D would be worth investigating. Many owners are upgrading to
> >20Ds.
> >

> I agree with buying an older model. It doesn't matter whether it's current
> year (used) or a couple of years old. Someone else has already taken the
> depreciation hit. When buying a used camera check the actuations on the
> camera and it will give you an idea of how much it's been used. Each model
> is different on whether you can check the shutter actuations or not. The
> Nikon D100 (had one) has to be sent or taken to a Nikon service center.
> Shutter life is only an estimate on how much life is left. Obviously there
> are many other components of a digital camera that can do bad, but it's at
> least a starting point on used bodies. Some people had purchased a Mack
> extended warranty which is transferable to a new owner for $15 (according
> their website). Good luck in your search.
>
> mitch

I live in Italy, so Mack extended warranty, whatever it may ever be, isn't
an option!!
I wasn't aware of the shutter life issue, though. I wonder how much a
digital SLR may live, if aging components are an issue just 2-3 years after
the camera has been marketed.
It seems a point in favour of the old analogic, maybe mechanical SLRs,
doesn't it?
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 10:24:51 AM

Ben Thomas wrote:

> Charles Schuler wrote:
> > A used 300D would be worth investigating. Many owners are upgrading to
> > 20Ds.
>
> They still seem to be going for $700 or more.

I've observed (including all original accessories):
- used D30 about $400-500
- used D60 about $650-750
- used 10D about $800-900

-Dave
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 1:34:09 PM

Sergio La Marca wrote:
> I live in Italy, so Mack extended warranty, whatever it may ever be, isn't
> an option!!

Why are you saying so? Mack does international warranties, and this may
be suitable for you. Or is there something special with Italy?

Here
http://www.mackcam.com/repairs_center.html
it says you just need an authorized Nikon service center and Mack will
reimburse your cost.

--
Eyal Lebedinsky (eyal@eyal.emu.id.au) <http://samba.org/eyal/&gt;
If attaching .zip rename to .dat

If you are a keen amateur , buying a 2nd hand MINT DSLR is quite a good
option [ unless you have the $$ ;)  ]

I myself started from a used Fuji S1 Pro, Canon D30, Fuji S1 Pro again :)  ,
Fuji S2 Pro and now Nikon D1H & Fuji S2 Pro.
From all the bodies I bought, until now .. Fuji S1 Pro has reached the
bottom limit .... I last time bought one for AUD 900 ..
and now .. its still selling for that price [ and that was 3 years ago :p ]
Same case with Canon D30 .. I payed AUD 900 .. n now .. its still selling
for $800.

I guess its a supply n demand situation.
The launch 300D did shake the market .. but it did not last long .. I too
was surprised ...
maybe because some ppl still prefer the solid build of D30 / D60 rather than
the plastic feel of 300D.

=bob=

"Sergio La Marca" <slamarca@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi all. I was considering to buy a digital SLR, but having seen the prices
> are around $1000, and thinking any camera I buy today will be worth less
> than half in 1-2 years (and, what is worst, it will be half the fun and
> proudness to me to own...), I were wondering if it could be wiser to look
> for a used older digital SLR, as the Olympus E-10/E-20, or maybe Fuji S1.
> They are 4/5 megapixels but have great lenses and got great reviews when
> they were new. They go on eBay from $350 to $500 or more.
> Is anyone gone this way, or have you any thoughts on that?
> Bye
>
> --
> Sergio La Marca
> Tredici (CE), Italy
> slamarca@libero.it

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 3:34:37 PM

"[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
> If you are a keen amateur , buying a 2nd hand MINT DSLR is quite a good
> option [ unless you have the $$ ;)  ]
>
> I myself started from a used Fuji S1 Pro, Canon D30, Fuji S1 Pro again :)
> , Fuji S2 Pro and now Nikon D1H & Fuji S2 Pro.
> From all the bodies I bought, until now .. Fuji S1 Pro has reached the
> bottom limit .... I last time bought one for AUD 900 ..
> and now .. its still selling for that price [ and that was 3 years ago :p ]
> Same case with Canon D30 .. I payed AUD 900 .. n now .. its still selling
> for $800.
>

> =bob=

Whhoooofff! $800AU??? Wow, I bought my D30, used, in mint cond. in the box
with some of the accessories like software still in their wrappers, in Sept,
2003, for $400US. I'd think they'd be down somewhat lower than that, by
now, unless I've got the exchange rate wrong.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 8:17:41 PM

AUD has appriciate tremendously for the past 12 months.
It was lurking around 1 AUD == 0.56 USD .. n now .. its 1 AUD == 0.78 USD
[ I have to get my chart if you want accurate data]

The recent sale in eBAY.com.au shows that a D30 set still fetch AUD 800+
price [ I was bidding upto $500 for fun sake :)  ]
Even in Singapore market , they still ask S$ 750+ for a quite bashed D30 set
[ some already got shutter curtain replacement .. go figure :)  ]
1 SGD been stable at around 0.55 - 0.60USD

=bob=

> Whhoooofff! $800AU??? Wow, I bought my D30, used, in mint cond. in the
> box with some of the accessories like software still in their wrappers, in
> Sept, 2003, for $400US. I'd think they'd be down somewhat lower than
> that, by now, unless I've got the exchange rate wrong.
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Anonymous
January 5, 2005 8:17:42 PM

> AUD has appriciate tremendously for the past 12 months.
> It was lurking around 1 AUD == 0.56 USD .. n now .. its 1 AUD == 0.78 USD
> [ I have to get my chart if you want accurate data]
>
> The recent sale in eBAY.com.au shows that a D30 set still fetch AUD 800+
> price [ I was bidding upto $500 for fun sake :)  ]
> Even in Singapore market , they still ask S$ 750+ for a quite bashed D30
> set [ some already got shutter curtain replacement .. go figure :)  ]
> 1 SGD been stable at around 0.55 - 0.60USD
>
> =bob=

Didn't know it got as low as that, I was thinking in the .75USD range.
So it looks like the D30 has stabilized in the $400USD range...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
January 5, 2005 8:38:48 PM

A camera takes pictures. I know people that still have their first digital
2mp camera and still takes great pictures. I think just buy the best you can
afford now and enjoy it. You will outgrow the potential of your camera
before technology does...since the bottom line of a camera is to "take
pictures".

"Sergio La Marca" <slamarca@libero.it> wrote in message
> Hi all. I was considering to buy a digital SLR, but having seen the prices
> are around $1000, and thinking any camera I buy today will be worth less
> than half in 1-2 years (and, what is worst, it will be half the fun and
> proudness to me to own...), I were wondering if it could be wiser to look
> for a used older digital SLR, as the Olympus E-10/E-20, or maybe Fuji S1.
> They are 4/5 megapixels but have great lenses and got great reviews when
> they were new. They go on eBay from $350 to $500 or more.
> Is anyone gone this way, or have you any thoughts on that?
> Bye
>
> --
> Sergio La Marca
> Tredici (CE), Italy
> slamarca@libero.it

Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:01:29 AM

In article <PUGCd.15115$_E5.405370@twister2.libero.it>,
slamarca@libero.it says...

> "Mitch" <lawdoggys3@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> >
> > "Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > >A used 300D would be worth investigating. Many owners are upgrading to
> > >20Ds.
> > >

> > I agree with buying an older model. It doesn't matter whether it's current
> > year (used) or a couple of years old. Someone else has already taken the
> > depreciation hit. When buying a used camera check the actuations on the
> > camera and it will give you an idea of how much it's been used. Each model
> > is different on whether you can check the shutter actuations or not. The
> > Nikon D100 (had one) has to be sent or taken to a Nikon service center.
> > Shutter life is only an estimate on how much life is left. Obviously there
> > are many other components of a digital camera that can do bad, but it's at
> > least a starting point on used bodies. Some people had purchased a Mack
> > extended warranty which is transferable to a new owner for $15 (according
> > their website). Good luck in your search.
> >
> > mitch
> >

> I live in Italy, so Mack extended warranty, whatever it may ever be, isn't
> an option!!
> I wasn't aware of the shutter life issue, though. I wonder how much a
> digital SLR may live, if aging components are an issue just 2-3 years after
> the camera has been marketed.
> It seems a point in favour of the old analogic, maybe mechanical SLRs,
> doesn't it?

but mechanical SLR's had finite shutter life also. The Nikon FM/FE which
served me for 20 years was rated at 50,000 actuations as I recall and the
F3 was 150,000. These numbers were a lot higher than almost all other
mechanical cameras on the market. The issue is that digital gets used
more, because it costs less money and trouble to press the button.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:10:04 AM

Skip M wrote:
> "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
>
>>If you are a keen amateur , buying a 2nd hand MINT DSLR is quite a good
>>option [ unless you have the $$ ;)  ]
>>
>>I myself started from a used Fuji S1 Pro, Canon D30, Fuji S1 Pro again :)
>>, Fuji S2 Pro and now Nikon D1H & Fuji S2 Pro.
>>From all the bodies I bought, until now .. Fuji S1 Pro has reached the
>>bottom limit .... I last time bought one for AUD 900 ..
>>and now .. its still selling for that price [ and that was 3 years ago :p ]
>>Same case with Canon D30 .. I payed AUD 900 .. n now .. its still selling
>>for $800.
>>

>>=bob=
>>

> Whhoooofff! $800AU??? Wow, I bought my D30, used, in mint cond. in the box
> with some of the accessories like software still in their wrappers, in Sept,
> 2003, for $400US. I'd think they'd be down somewhat lower than that, by
> now, unless I've got the exchange rate wrong.

I've seen them sell on eBay recently for US$400.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 12:10:05 AM

"Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote in message
news:p fkhrc.ji1.ln@192.168.11.2...
> Skip M wrote:
>> "[BnH]" <b18[at]ii[dot]net> wrote in message
>>
>>>If you are a keen amateur , buying a 2nd hand MINT DSLR is quite a good
>>>option [ unless you have the $$ ;)  ]
>>>
>>>I myself started from a used Fuji S1 Pro, Canon D30, Fuji S1 Pro again :)
>>>, Fuji S2 Pro and now Nikon D1H & Fuji S2 Pro.
>>>From all the bodies I bought, until now .. Fuji S1 Pro has reached the
>>>bottom limit .... I last time bought one for AUD 900 ..
>>>and now .. its still selling for that price [ and that was 3 years ago
>>>:p ]
>>>Same case with Canon D30 .. I payed AUD 900 .. n now .. its still selling
>>>for $800.
>>>

>>>=bob=
>>>

>> Whhoooofff! $800AU??? Wow, I bought my D30, used, in mint cond. in the
>> box with some of the accessories like software still in their wrappers,
>> in Sept, 2003, for $400US. I'd think they'd be down somewhat lower than
>> that, by now, unless I've got the exchange rate wrong.
>>

> I've seen them sell on eBay recently for US$400.

> Ben Thomas - Software Engineer - Melbourne, Australia

Well, at least I know I can get my money back out of it, if necessary...

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:51:52 AM

"Bruce Graham" <jbgraham@nowhere.com.au> ha scritto nel messaggio
> In article <PUGCd.15115$_E5.405370@twister2.libero.it>,
> slamarca@libero.it says...
> >
> > "Mitch" <lawdoggys3@hotmail.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> > >
> > > "Charles Schuler" <charleschuler@comcast.net> wrote in message
> > > >

> > > I agree with buying an older model. It doesn't matter whether it's
current
> > > year (used) or a couple of years old. Someone else has already taken
the
> > > depreciation hit. When buying a used camera check the actuations on
the
> > > camera and it will give you an idea of how much it's been used. Each
model
> > > is different on whether you can check the shutter actuations or not.
The
> > > Nikon D100 (had one) has to be sent or taken to a Nikon service
center.
> > > Shutter life is only an estimate on how much life is left. Obviously
there
> > > are many other components of a digital camera that can do bad, but
it's at
> > > least a starting point on used bodies. Some people had purchased a
Mack
> > > extended warranty which is transferable to a new owner for $15
(according
> > > their website). Good luck in your search.
> > >
> > > mitch
> > >

> > I live in Italy, so Mack extended warranty, whatever it may ever be,
isn't
> > an option!!
> > I wasn't aware of the shutter life issue, though. I wonder how much a
> > digital SLR may live, if aging components are an issue just 2-3 years
after
> > the camera has been marketed.
> > It seems a point in favour of the old analogic, maybe mechanical SLRs,
> > doesn't it?
> >
> but mechanical SLR's had finite shutter life also. The Nikon FM/FE which
> served me for 20 years was rated at 50,000 actuations as I recall and the
> F3 was 150,000. These numbers were a lot higher than almost all other
> mechanical cameras on the market. The issue is that digital gets used
> more, because it costs less money and trouble to press the button.

Just right. But, given they are more used, how much time will digital
cameras last ?
After all, after 2-3 years they will be obsolete, so maybe we shouldn't
care.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:51:53 AM

"Eyal Lebedinsky" <eyal@eyal.emu.id.au> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Sergio La Marca wrote:
> > I live in Italy, so Mack extended warranty, whatever it may ever be,
isn't
> > an option!!
>
> Why are you saying so? Mack does international warranties, and this may
> be suitable for you. Or is there something special with Italy?
>
> Here
> http://www.mackcam.com/repairs_center.html
> it says you just need an authorized Nikon service center and Mack will
> reimburse your cost.

Thank you, I didn't even know what Mack was, I will investigate!!
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:51:53 AM

"kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> Sergio La Marca wrote:
> >> Hi all. I was considering to buy a digital SLR, but having seen the
> >> prices are around $1000, and thinking any camera I buy today will be
> >> worth less than half in 1-2 years (and, what is worst, it will be
> >> half the fun and proudness to me to own...), I were wondering if it
> >> could be wiser to look for a used older digital SLR, <snip>
>
> This should help you to identify older digital models in the Canon line:
> http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/digital/f_ind...
>
> For those interested in taking a stroll down Canon memory lane... enjoy...
> http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/index.html
>
> Kevin

Interesting links, thank you Kevin.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:51:53 AM

"Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
> "Sergio La Marca" <slamarca@libero.it> wrote in message
> > Hi all. I was considering to buy a digital SLR, but having seen the
prices
> > are around $1000, and thinking any camera I buy today will be worth less
> > than half in 1-2 years (and, what is worst, it will be half the fun and
> > proudness to me to own...), I were wondering if it could be wiser to
look
> > for a used older digital SLR, as the Olympus E-10/E-20, or maybe Fuji
S1.
> > They are 4/5 megapixels but have great lenses and got great reviews when
> > they were new. They go on eBay from $350 to $500 or more.
> > Is anyone gone this way, or have you any thoughts on that?
> > Bye
> >
> > --
> > Sergio La Marca
> > Tredici (CE), Italy
> > slamarca@libero.it
> >

> While the Oly E-10/20 isn't a true SLR (non interchangeable lens) it is an
> excellent camera. We had an E-10, and we really miss it. Or at least my
> wife does. We sold it to her mom, and we've been trying to buy it back
ever
> since, but mom won't budge...
> The only thing that I didn't like about it was a seemingly interminable
> shutter lag, compared to true SLRs, like my Canon D30. But it had
excellent
> image quality, mainly due to its outstanding lens.
> BTW, and older SLR like the D30 can be had for around $400US, or less, and
> with the better Canon lenses, gives pretty good results.
>
> --
> Skip Middleton
> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

Thank you for the hints, I wasn't considering Canon, now I will.
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:51:54 AM

<xman@thedripper.com> ha scritto nel messaggio
> A camera takes pictures. I know people that still have their first digital
> 2mp camera and still takes great pictures. I think just buy the best you
can
> afford now and enjoy it. You will outgrow the potential of your camera
> before technology does...since the bottom line of a camera is to "take
> pictures".

Wise words...and I could say, do I need a digital camera, or should I stay
with my film camera, and take more pictures? But, there's the tech factor,
so I will give digital a try.
As you say, the really important thing is enjoy your camera ;-)
Happy new year
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:51:54 AM

> "Skip M" <shadowcatcher@cox.net> ha scritto nel messaggio
>> "Sergio La Marca" <slamarca@libero.it> wrote in message
>> > Hi all. I was considering to buy a digital SLR, but having seen the
> prices
>> > are around $1000, and thinking any camera I buy today will be worth
>> > less
>> > than half in 1-2 years (and, what is worst, it will be half the fun and
>> > proudness to me to own...), I were wondering if it could be wiser to
> look
>> > for a used older digital SLR, as the Olympus E-10/E-20, or maybe Fuji
> S1.
>> > They are 4/5 megapixels but have great lenses and got great reviews
>> > when
>> > they were new. They go on eBay from $350 to $500 or more.
>> > Is anyone gone this way, or have you any thoughts on that?
>> > Bye
>> >
>> > --
>> > Sergio La Marca
>> > Tredici (CE), Italy
>> > slamarca@libero.it
>> >

>> While the Oly E-10/20 isn't a true SLR (non interchangeable lens) it is
>> an
>> excellent camera. We had an E-10, and we really miss it. Or at least my
>> wife does. We sold it to her mom, and we've been trying to buy it back
> ever
>> since, but mom won't budge...
>> The only thing that I didn't like about it was a seemingly interminable
>> shutter lag, compared to true SLRs, like my Canon D30. But it had
> excellent
>> image quality, mainly due to its outstanding lens.
>> BTW, and older SLR like the D30 can be had for around $400US, or less,
>> and
>> with the better Canon lenses, gives pretty good results.
>>
>> --
>> Skip Middleton
>> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
>>

> Thank you for the hints, I wasn't considering Canon, now I will.

You might also check out the old Kodak DCS460, DCS720 and DCS760 bodies,
some of them are 6mp bodies that take Nikon lenses, and the Kodak DCS520
(Canon D2000) and DCS560 (no Canon equivalent). The latter was a 6mp camera
with a 1.3x sensor. Slow write times by present standards, it was based on
the Canon 1n, as the Nikons were based on the F4 or F5 and N90/F90 , IIRC.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 2:51:54 AM

"Sergio La Marca" <slamarca@libero.it> wrote in message

>> While the Oly E-10/20 isn't a true SLR (non interchangeable lens) it is
>> an
>> excellent camera. We had an E-10, and we really miss it. Or at least my
>> wife does. We sold it to her mom, and we've been trying to buy it back
> ever
>> since, but mom won't budge...
>> The only thing that I didn't like about it was a seemingly interminable
>> shutter lag, compared to true SLRs, like my Canon D30. But it had
> excellent
>> image quality, mainly due to its outstanding lens.
>> BTW, and older SLR like the D30 can be had for around $400US, or less,
>> and
>> with the better Canon lenses, gives pretty good results.
>>
>> --
>> Skip Middleton
>> http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
>>

> Thank you for the hints, I wasn't considering Canon, now I will.

Here's a link. No, guys, I'm not shilling embay auctions, just pointing out
where and for how much these bodies are available.

--
Skip Middleton
http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 8:18:39 PM

"Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote

> I've seen them sell on eBay recently for US$400.

But don't forget the 'extras', including postage and insurance, and the GST
you'd have to pay (I did!) But for second-hand cameras, buying from the US
is still worth the effort. My Coolpix 995 cost me (in 2002) $AU 580 all up,
when there were none at all available locally on eBay. Mind you, waiting for
the damn thing to show up gave me ulcers!

Paul
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 12:50:03 AM

Paul Bartram wrote:
> "Ben Thomas" <nosp@m.thanks.mate> wrote
>

>>I've seen them sell on eBay recently for US$400.
>

> But don't forget the 'extras', including postage and insurance, and the GST
> you'd have to pay (I did!) But for second-hand cameras, buying from the US
> is still worth the effort. My Coolpix 995 cost me (in 2002) $AU 580 all up,
> when there were none at all available locally on eBay. Mind you, waiting for
> the damn thing to show up gave me ulcers!
>
> Paul

The GST and lack of warranty makes buying from eBay USA pointless for Aussies,
unless you think a warranty isn't worth the AU$200 difference in price between
buying from eBay USA or an Aussie shop.

My Digital World:
Kodak DX6490, Canon i9950, Pioneer A05;
Hitachi 37" HD plasma display, DGTEC 2000A,
Denon 2800, H/K AVR4500, Whatmough Encore;
Sony Ericsson K700i, Palm Tungsten T.

Disclaimer:
given nor endorsed by it.
Anonymous
January 7, 2005 8:36:09 PM

> Ben Thomas wrote:
>> Paul Bartram wrote:

> I've seen them sell on eBay recently for US$400.

>> But don't forget the 'extras', including postage and insurance, and
>> the GST you'd have to pay (I did!) But for second-hand cameras,
>> buying from the US is still worth the effort. My Coolpix 995 cost me
>> (in 2002) $AU 580 all up, when there were none at all available
>> locally on eBay.

> The GST and lack of warranty makes buying from eBay USA pointless for
> Aussies, unless you think a warranty isn't worth the AU$200
> difference in price between buying from eBay USA or an Aussie shop.

The OP was asking about 'older DSLRs'. In my case, there was only 8 months
of the extended warranty left (the seller had paid extra for a 3 year
coverage). For $US10 I was able to transfer the remaining warrantee to a
friend in Florida, so if it broke down (it didn't) I could have sent it to
him and he would send it on to the service centre.

But yes, buying a new camera direct from a US dealer might prove difficult
as far as warrantees are concerned, although some makers make theirs
'worldwide'. As for GST, it's just something we have to factor in. Small
price to pay for living in 'Godzone' :-)

Paul
!