New E8500 overheating

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
just bought an E8500 which replaced my old E5400 but now the temps are getting high...
i know the thermal paste Intel provides is pretty crap but its not that crap.
anyway im using hardware-monitor and it says my temps are at 52C on load (thats not the problem) and 32C on idle
1st core is at 68C on load and 46C on idle
2nd core is at 60C on load and 36C on idle
i used OCCT for testing
are these temps really bad?
maybe i should reseat the heatsink because maybe one of the pushpins are loose

acer0169

Distinguished
I don't think they're REALLY bad, but they are a little high. I would suggest getting some quality paste and re-seating. I tried stock paste a while ago just to see if it's got any better over the years, yet when tested against MX2 it was actually running 9C hotter!! Big difference just for some different paste.

Some CPU's have core temps that are over 20C hotter than CPU temp, others (like my 1090T) always read that teh cores are around 15C cooler than the CPU temp. I'm pretty sure this varies with each chip..

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
well.... id rather not spend more money on some new paste or a new cooler...
ill try reseating the heatsink and if that doesnt work ill just have to save up money and get a better cooler and new paste

MSI motherboard? eeewwwwww

E8500's are efficent (65w) but the stock coolers do push it a little but YOUR TEMPS ARE FINE - dont bother messing with it just make sure you installed that cooler correctly, and the intel thermal compound aint that bad for most machines seriously.

acer0169

Distinguished
Lol - never been a big fan of MSI boards either.

Anyway yeah.. if you're using the stock cooler your temps are probably about right. I would suggest looking at a few third-party coolers though. For £15 ($25) you can get a good cooler that will do the job in the summer as well as when it's nice and chilly ambient.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

right, in australia summer gets around 40C so maybe i should get a new cooler quickly since summer is right around the corner

acer0169

Distinguished
Haha yeah, spend a little money and keep it cool! I forget there aren't a whole bunch of English on the forum. Out summer is like 25C or something, and winter (current) is always around 0C. Good for overclocking, bad for getting a tan ;).

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
what do you mean ' there aren't a whole bunch of English on the forum'?
anyway i was looking at some arctic silver thermal paste and it says it needs a "break in" period of 200 hours before it starts to properly work...
is that the same for the intel thermal paste?
would explain why my E8500 is running a lot hotter than my old E5400

Zenthar

Distinguished
If you want an AS alternative, you can try Arctic Cooling MX-2/3/4 thermal paste (any of them porform well, MX-4 being the latest and possibly better). I think none of them need curing and are all non-conductive.

Supermuncher85

Distinguished

If you have used the CPU and reseat the cooler, you will break the seal created by the thermal grease making it necessary to reapply the thermal paste. I personally prefer to use my own paste to the stock but that's just me. Only costs $5 for a new tube.

The Temps seem a little high but I wouldn't call it out of the ordinary.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
YIKES!!!!
i was just testing a small oc ( i increased the clock speed to 3.25 GHz) and now the temps are:
75C 1st core and 67C 2nd core
im not sure these are normal temps for my cpu. the vcore was at 1.3v and i used OCCT for 15 mins and these were the temps..

so i guess ill get a good after market cooler and some arctic silver paste.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

don't tell me that you're using that tiny stock cooler that came from the box.......even get a crappy $9 cooler master xdream4(http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=2569&category_id=3565) would be much better than that cost down garbage.

i personally test that stock cooler with the conroe stock cooler(copper core) on my e8500 during summer time the different is 28c in load(69c vs 41c) and 13c in idle (40c vs 27c) result e8500 suppose to be equip that large copper core heatsink rather than the heatsink that only to be seem in celeron's box.....

PS: all wolfdale based processor were come with that crappy cooler which you'd either to get the q9650/e6850's stock heatsink(big one with copper core) or buy a tower costume cooler.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

yeah... i dont want to spend too much on account that i will replace this old pc with a new one when the prices for the sandy bridge goes down
guess ill get a CoolerMaster HYPER TX3 since the 212+ is more expensive and i HATE backplates, and some AS 5 paste too.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

you don't need to spend 50 bucks on expansive tower cooling..

this intel copper stock cooler will be solve your problem as e8500 isn't a really hot processor except it had to come with garbage cooler...

http://www.amazon.com/Intel-D34017-002-Pentium-Heatsink-Aluminum/dp/B001GTVRHY/ref=sr_1_20?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292758960&sr=1-20

or spend $11(it was 9 bucks but i think it went up during holiday season) on x dream 4

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103039&cm_re=x_dream_4-_-35-103-039-_-Product

acer0169

Distinguished

Well.. I always thought the majority of the forum was english, but nearly everyone speaks in dollars so you tell me..

And yeah.. some pastes need a break in period, but it doesn't make a huge amount of difference. Maybe a few degrees different from when you first install.

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
alright then, thank you acer for clearing that up for me.
now, cheesesubs thanks for the suggestions but if im going to spend money on a new cooler i want one which will make a noticeable difference. Im ok with spending anything up to $100. also i use a site called www.auspcmarket.com.au for my shopping.

cooler:
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/info/REC-RR-910-HTX3-GP/1077/

paste:
http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/info/CS-AS512G/183/

remember these are prices in Australia and are a LOT higher than the prices in the US

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

thanks acer, better AND cheaper.

acer0169

Distinguished
It's cheaper because AS5 is actually contains a lot of silver, but I've found that AS5 itself doesn't match up to MX2 or MX3. Good news all round as MX2, MX3 and MX4 work to their full potential straight after install and don't require a 'burn in' period.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

unless you're decide to have extreme overclock(4.5ghz+), tower cooling is way overkill for processor like e8500 and tower cooling ain't really help to lower the idle temperature. the idle temp are mostly a bit higher than intel's copper stock and only be efficient during heavy load. so don't waste money on tower cooling unless you have a quad core or for future upgrade.

about paste i would recommend ocz freeze over brand like antec's arctic....

even though it's $7.99 w/out shipping but it can reduce the temp at least 10c+ in same cooler.

http://gear.ocztechnology.com/products/description/OCZ_Freeze_Extreme_Thermal_Conductivity_Compound/index.html

acer0169

Distinguished

The cooler he's linked to isn't exactly extreme. It has 3 heatpipes and a medium sized 92mm fan. The cooler I'm currently using has 7 heatpipes and two 120mm fans.. I consider that to be high-end cooler, but still not extreme air. I also doubt how good a £28 cooler would be for running multiple cores at 4.5GHz.

The tower cooler would be great in your hot 40C summers - making sure it's load temps are well within the CPU's max temp.

cheesesubs

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009

i ran a e8500 and a qx9770 with intel copper and cm hyper101 so far i got my conclusion that processor like x9770 only need a 2 heatpipe heatsink and 80mm fan to maintain under 45c during loading. consider qx9770 is 2x e8500 which cooler like hyper 101 is already overkill unless extreme oc. but even so hyper 101 can still handle e8500 when oc to 4.5ghz.

and i wonder are you living in sahara desert or indian jungle because above 40c (100f) summer day is rare in most corner of land mess on this planet. the hottest i had experienced is 32c (90f). not even in the place like australia....

PS: i'm from central canada

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010

you are SOOOO wrong!
i have easily had summer days reaching as high as 42C so im going to stick with the TX3 cooler and the MX3 paste

alhanelem

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2010
ok now i have another question, if i make a mistake applying the thermal paste how do i remove it? I know it is a stupid idea to scratch it off with your fingernail or just wipe it of with a cloth or tissue since i need to get rid of the tiny particles using some kid of cleaner... is there a way of cleaning a cpu WITHOUT buying a cleaning kit?
any household chemicals i can use?

TRENDING THREADS