Anyone with a Crosshair IV Extreme?

jamiehuck

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
Anyone out there who has a crosshair iv extreme id really appreciate help with my setup. I have talked to asus customer support, read what seems like thousands of forum posts, googled for days and i cant get my new build to boot/post for anything!! I have a amd 1100t with this motherboard, a standard western digital caviar green 1tb hard drive, thermaltake level 10 gt snow edition case, twin sapphire hd 6870's, corsair 1200watt modular psu, corsair airflow pro memory cooler monitor, corsair memory fan, pioneer bluray writer, 78n1 rosewill card reader/writer, an the main problem, i cant get a straight answer from anyone, some places say the crosshair iv extreme supports up to 2000oc ram, some places say it supports up to 2133mhz ram, i cant get a straight answer. All i know for SURE, is that my gskill 2133mhz pc3 17000 doesnt work, i have 16 gb of ram that i cant use in this build that i just blowed $250 on and it wont work. I have done everything i know how to do, id love to see a boot screen, god id love that. Please help if you have this setup an know what dimm configuration i can use that will ensure a post. Thanks guys.

Solution
You probably need to check your cpu / nb/ ddr / sb led to identify the problem.If it is memory try the memory ok button.Incidentally, have you tried different memory. I would also like to know which cpu cooler you are using. i tested one of these boards recently and it refused to work with a coolermaster v8 or v6 gt.Try the stock-cooler in case you are using an aftermart.Another suggestion is to populate one or to memory slots and then use the extreme memory tweeker to adjust your timings and voltage.You may then install the other modules.One shoould understand that the phenom ii memory controller supports ddr3 1333 natively and any frequency above this is overclocking.I suggest you set your AI-Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P. and you can...

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Try running the RAM at much lower speed - say 1600. Your RAM should be able to run slower than rated, and that should get you started, at least.

BTW: you should never need a "memory cooler". RAM just doesn't get that hot. I think they invented memory coolers to have something to sell to overclockers :)

jamiehuck

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
Id love to try that! But...i cant even get it to boot, its not once posted. As i said, id give anything to see a bios screen come up, an here the speaker beep like its supposed to with the ch4 extreme motherboard, it starts up an lights up, just doesnt post. I dont know what else to try.

fortiscrew

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
You probably need to check your cpu / nb/ ddr / sb led to identify the problem.If it is memory try the memory ok button.Incidentally, have you tried different memory. I would also like to know which cpu cooler you are using. i tested one of these boards recently and it refused to work with a coolermaster v8 or v6 gt.Try the stock-cooler in case you are using an aftermart.Another suggestion is to populate one or to memory slots and then use the extreme memory tweeker to adjust your timings and voltage.You may then install the other modules.One shoould understand that the phenom ii memory controller supports ddr3 1333 natively and any frequency above this is overclocking.I suggest you set your AI-Overclock Tuner to D.O.C.P. and you can run memory frequencies of DDR3 1600, DDR3 1800, DDR3 1866 and DDR3 2000.Let me know the result and if all fails I will make further suggestion.However, do not rule out the possibility of doing an RMA.

Solution

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
If it's not even giving you a bios error beep for no ram or incompatible ram sounds like a duff board to me, however if it does support even up to 2133mhz OC'd then you would have to use slower ram to begin with and then overclock it to that speed.
I doubt stock ram at that speed would work.

jamiehuck

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
Well I cant find anywhere that breaks down what the diff led lights mean on the board, the manual doesnt break it down so im not sure if its showing me by way of led's lit up what the problem is or not. No beeps is what the technical support dude at asus couldnt figure out...and i have the little white module plugged into the motherboard that u plug the small 1 pin case wires in, and the speaker for the motherboard, ive checked it, unplugged, an replugged it in to make sure it wasnt just getting a bad connection or no connection for that matter. Ive tried slower ram, because im not sure if the g skill ram comes running at a lower speed then u overclock it once the bios shows up to whatever speed u want to run it at. Ive cleared cmos which is what asus support kept having me to do as well, that didnt work. An by the way, im using Corsairs H80 liquid cpu cooling system which is great btw. Like i said before, everything lights up, all fans work including the graphics cards ive tried, the cpu cooler, ram cooler, case fans, the boards start buttong, reset button, etc. they all light up. If i could find what all the different led codes mean, it could very well be telling me the issue, which is something ive looked for and can't get a straight answer on. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Im going to look more into the mem ok button though i for some reason completely forgot about it. But i just cant understand how come it doesnt beep. Thays beyond my grasp.

fortiscrew

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010

jamiehuck

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
i just did a lil research through the manual i missed the section with the led stuff. Theres for leds below the go button in this order:
1.boot device
2.vga
3.dram-which i assume is ram
4.cpu
I never tried pressing the go buttin, pressing it quick does nothing, but when i held it down, it started blinking which the manual indicated to me that that indicates that MEMOK! is enabled before POST. and after that the cpu light lights up and stays lit for good. An the dram led starts blinking and doesnt stop, so i figured yup the 2133 ram is too fast for sure, so i turned it off. Took it out. Put in some 1333mhz crucial ram a single stick of 1gb and it done the same thing after pressing and holding the go button. Im not sure what to do.