Sign in with
Your question

Just steam on ssd

Last response: in Storage
January 1, 2013 6:19:20 PM

Hey guys. I recently got a Hyperx Kingston SSD and was wanting to just install steam and some other games to it. I also have two HDD one for storage and one that has the OS and other programs on. I played a few steam games off the ssd and it seems like I have an odd connection on servers I join. A bit of warping around and things not registering on multiplayer that I didn't have before when steam was just on the HDD.

Maybe it's just coincidence, and I don't have any experience with SSDs so I have no clue, but is it possible I'm getting some sort of latency issue or packet loss since just steam is on the SSD and my os is on the HDD or that is completely whacked out to view as a possibility? Thanks for any help I appreciate it.

More about : steam ssd

January 1, 2013 6:25:52 PM

Is steam still on your OS HDD or storage HDD? I would try uninstalling it from everything, then install it just to your SSD. I have just steam and about half the THQ humble bundle on a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD and havent had any problems, however the only multiplayer i attempted was SR3 and it seemed okay.
January 1, 2013 8:17:24 PM

MotherFerJones said:
Is steam still on your OS HDD or storage HDD? I would try uninstalling it from everything, then install it just to your SSD. I have just steam and about half the THQ humble bundle on a 128GB Samsung 830 SSD and havent had any problems, however the only multiplayer i attempted was SR3 and it seemed okay.

Yeah I uninstalled it from the HDD before I put it on the SSD. Only downloaded a few games so far to test it out on the ssd.
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 1, 2013 9:20:44 PM

You could've just copied whole Steam folder from HDD to SSD, its portable. You're wasting time redownloading every game.
January 1, 2013 9:35:18 PM

Soda-88 said:
You could've just copied whole Steam folder from HDD to SSD, its portable. You're wasting time redownloading every game.

Takes me like an hour to redownload the 4 games I had installed.
January 1, 2013 9:38:04 PM

ss202sl said:
It would have been easy to create a junction with Stem Mover which was designed to do exactly what you are wanting to do.
http://www.traynier.com/software/steammover

I'm not worried about moving anything though, my dilemma was it seems that on the ssd my connection in games is rather shabby.
a b G Storage
January 1, 2013 9:44:33 PM

I have no problems with games on my SSD - and I agree a copy from HDD to SSD will take minutes - not hours. If I do have problems with steam games - go to your game library & verify the games.
-Bruce
!