Sign in with
Your question

No OS reinstallation; adding in SSD for heavy-duty games

Last response: in Storage
January 1, 2013 6:25:06 PM

Hey there. Got a question.

Would it be possible to add in an SSD drive without reinstalling windows? Folks only talk about using an SSD for their OS, but I'd much rather forgo the month-long reinstall-forget-find-install process (For my XP and 7 dual-boot) and just throw in the SSD for Skyrim, Fallout an' all those other "big" games.

I remember readin' about needing your bios to be in AHCI mode, but I'm currently in IDE, and switching causes a bluescreen as soon as windows starts to load (Happens for XP and windows 7). The cure for it is to reinstall windows, which I am sick and tired of doing.

So yeah. Possible?
a c 504 G Storage
January 2, 2013 12:18:23 AM

If you are buying a SSD to use as a secondary drive (D:, E:, F:, etc.) then you don't need to reinstall your O/S.

Just connect the drive, boot into Windows as you normally do, go into Windows Disk Management, initialize the new drive, assign it a drive letter, and Quick format the drive. The drive will then be ready to use.

SSDs work best when in AHCI mode. On some SSDs TRIM does not work when the drive is in IDE mode.

You need to edit the Windows Registry file before you can switch from IDE to AHCI mode. Here's instructions on how to do it: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/content.php?286...
Related resources
a c 504 G Storage
January 2, 2013 12:24:27 AM

Excellent guide
a c 142 G Storage
January 2, 2013 12:40:29 AM

I am hoping to get more feedback.

I have been doing that for a while as it is faster then mklink and games do not seem to require preserving of NTFS permissions so a simple copy + paste works.

May look into doing some other guides in the future if I see anything that I am having to tell users how to do over and over. I had been making posts about this option, but figured one post to point to was a better idea.
!