Computer won't restart

ShEsHy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
The only pertinent piece of hardware for this problem is my motherboard (ASUS P5N-D, BIOS revision 1401), since it is the only piece of hardware that has changed from before this problem appeared. Every other piece of hardware is exactly the same as before, the only changes that had happened to the computer are several installations of Windows Vista and 7, but that was after the problem appeared (1 reinstall of Vista and 3 reinstalls of 7).
Here's what's wrong; I had a computer and everything was working fine until one day the BIOS chip died. I sent it in for repairs and after I got it back restart didn't work anymore. What I mean by this is that restarting Windows from the Start menu, after installing updates/applications, even during Windows installation would only go half way, as in shut it down and then freeze before powering back up, forcing me to either perform a reset or hold the power button for 4+ seconds to shut it down. The fans keep spinning and NumLock is on, but the computer is for all intents and purposes powered off (no signal to the monitor, no HDD activity,...).
I have reset BIOS (in the menu and also by removing the battery), updated it and nothing helped.
The power & reset buttons and shutting down the computer from the Start menu works flawlessly. Also, if I restart from BIOS it works, but that is the only instance so far in which case it worked.

This is what I know:
It is not a PSU, temperature, compatibility or Windows issue. I am 99% certain it is something involving the motherboard (BIOS, jumpers,...), I just don't know what it is.

I've had this problem for a couple of years now, but after I bought 2 WD Raptor HDDs for Dual Booting Win7, it's getting pretty annoying having to shut down my computer every time I want to boot into the other OS.

Get rid of the Asus board, and buy a good motherboard, such as Intel or Gigabyte.
Then the problems will be over.
I have heard this story 100 times, and every time the problem was solved by replacing the board.
You think you can solve the Asus problems by reloading drivers, etc, etc, WRONG. Stop pulling your hair out and invest $160 in sanity, buy a GOOD (not Asus) board.

ShEsHy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011

I knew (99%) that the motherboard was the culprit and was asking for a solution other than throwing away 100€+, since I'm planning on replacing pretty much everything but the chassis and HDDs in about 6 months.
Besides, if I considered replacing the board a valid solution, I wouldn't be here asking for help, I'd have already replaced it.

ShEsHy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I was just thinking; Is it possible that the computer won't boot back up due to temperature?
Not that any of my components are overheating, but the only difference I noticed between a restart and a startup was the spin speed of the fans (fans spin slower in Windows and during the first half of the restart but are then supposed to spin back up. Unfortunately my computer stops before that). I noticed that ASUS has some safety features to prevent overheating, and I was wondering if one of the temperature thresholds was somehow lowered so that at slower spin speeds (while Windows is running) it is crossed, but during startup while the fans are spining at maximum, it's below the limit?

*edit*
FYI, the temperatures are; MB 40°, CPU 50-60°, GPU 45° & HDDs 35° Celsius (10° up or down depending on usage).

ShEsHy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
Yeah, I thought so.
I can't understand why it won't restart. When it freezes, if I just press reset, it boots up fine.
I tried setting Halt Boot on No Errors, but that didn't help either.

ShEsHy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I "think" I found the reason. Been looking at my components and I noticed that my RAM is not only not in the QVL, the motherboard doesn't even support 2GB sticks at 800 MHz.
I'll try to find some 1GB sticks and test it out.

*edit*
Just remembered that when I got the motherboard back, BIOS was updated to the latest version, so I might try rolling back to an older version.

basedv

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009

Well I do understand your frustration and some people here just want to say by a new board but I guess if we all had the money we wouldn't be writing here. Now had the same board and I'm going to put it as plain as can be it was the worst mboard I ever owned in 20 years. Will never buy ASUS again just because of this board. Now to try and help so you can get it runnable. Do you have the fan small fan on the north bridge? If you do remove it create more heat in the case then needed. Then set your limits for the cpu halt higher 70 C is what I set mine on. Then go in and set all your memory timing manually by there speed, also bump up the voltage a little on the north bridge manually. If you are using win 7 don't load any of the drivers that came with the board the one's that come with win 7 are fine and create no problems. Also try dropping the cpu FSB from 1333 to 1066 this fixed mine with all the other changes. Now I know going down from 1333 to 1066 is not what you want to hear but your just trying to get the computer to run stable for 6 more months hope this helps.

Michael

ShEsHy

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2011
I understand what you mean about it being the worst board you ever owned. Between me and my friends, we've owned more than 5 different ASUS boards and this one is by far the worst.
I'm going to try to do all the things you said, but in the meantime, could you tell me where to find the CPU halt and drop FSB?

*edit*
Tried everything but the CPU halt (couldn't find it), nothing helped.