I5 760 fan & heatsink

omgitswes

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in "Other Components". But okay, I just purchased a i5 760 CPU and now I'm looking for a cooler.

I've been reading all morning and I'm still confused. What I do understand is that basically Noctua is the best, I don't mind spending the money but they seem huge. I'm getting a GTX 570 GPU as well which is pretty big too and I have a mid tower case (Cooler Master 690 II Advanced) so I'm not sure if it will fit.

I do plan on overclocking around 3.x Ghz not really trying to reach 4.x Ghz but if possible that'll be great.

At first I was looking at a ZALMAN CNPS9900ALED while this actually looks the best to me (looks wise) I've read on numerous sites that it doesn't stand up to overclocking very well.

After that I looked at ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 and COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus . Both of those said the same as the ZalMan, doesn't work well with overclocking.

So if anyone could help me out by reccommending me a CPU cooler that will
1) fit in my case with the large GPU I have and
2) provide good temps when overclocked to either 3.x or 4.x

Thank you

omgitswes

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
To add to the list, I just noticed that best buy actually carries a Corsair H50 that comes with a 1156 socket.

I don't know anything at all about water cooling other than it takes a lot of time to take care of. How much of a hassle will this be?

omgitswes

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
Or the CoolIT SYSTEMS ECO-R120 ALC

also I see now there's a section for fans & heatsinks in the OC section. Could a Mod please move this to the correct section? I don't want to make a duplicate thread

omgitswes

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2010
seems like I could get the same out of the h50 by just adding different fans and it's cheaper.
I'm going with Yate Loon instead of hte Noctua since people have been ranting and raving about them. and they're dirt cheap