Sign in with
Your question

4850 crossfire and 2 monitors

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 12, 2010 9:43:05 PM

Hey all,
Relative noob when it comes to graphics cards. I have two HD 4850s running on crossfire and 2 monitors. Playing around with CCC shows me that 1 is on one monitor and the other on the other. So instead of having two cards handling one game, I have one handling the game and one handling my browser and other apps? Is this true?

If so, what would be a solution to force both cards onto the game?

Thanks!
a b U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 12, 2010 9:44:56 PM

Are both monitors connected to the first card?
August 12, 2010 9:46:41 PM

Yes. I have one as DVI and one as VGA, both connected to one card.
Related resources
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 12, 2010 11:53:03 PM

There really isn't an issue when it come to multible monitors in crossfire and sli. Just get a cheap DVI to vga adapter and problem solved. Note your ress will become limited to the older vga monitor but for most that really isn't a issue unless one has needs that demand higher res.
August 13, 2010 2:27:37 AM

Oh to add they are both DVI cables and monitors but I couldn't figure out how to get the second monitor to display when I plugged one into the first card and the second into the second.

So I played around with it until I got a converter piece and put the DVI of the second into a VGA and plugged them both into one card.

The 4850s have 1 VGA and 1 DVI (and one HDMI but I don't have a cable for that, should I get one?)

During actual game play I'm pretty sure it's only using one card. I'm playing Starcraft II and during the campaign I can't sustain Ultra graphics. Being that this site has a heirarchy chart saying 2 4850s is the 3rd best option available, I figure I should be able to play max graphics scII but that isn't the case.

So I'm assuming one card per monitor with no crossing.
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 13, 2010 2:59:30 AM

Only if you need HDMI but if not keep the cash. Two 4850s are a very good setup and pay little attention to those who got more money than sense. Just be sure to keep them clean and they should last you for a few years. By the way in windowed mode you can log more than one account.
August 13, 2010 3:17:41 AM

lol well thanks but my question more so was;
With my current configuration, am I getting the benefit of two graphic cards for 1 game or are they split 1 card per monitor. Because I don't think the games I'm playing (ala Starcraft II) are performing to the standard that I expect 2x 4850s. And if not, how do I make it so?
a c 172 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
August 13, 2010 12:37:47 PM

The only way to find out is to check the temps and GPUZ for load values.
!