Your question
Solved

Which cpu to choose?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
December 17, 2010 4:23:10 PM

Hello basically I wanted to know what is the best choice for me within the am3 arena. My machine is used mostly for gaming and some productivity. I am basically debating between the 970 x4 or the 1090t. I have no budget limitations and I'm going for the single best upgrade I can. I would also like an aftermarket cooler if someone could recommend one as well. I will be ordering off of new egg today and would like some peoples opinion. Obviously the quad is more practical for gaming right now but what about being more future proof with the six core until down the road eventually departing from am3 in say a couple years. Any and all opinions are welcome. Basically I would like someone to put together a cost effective package with cpu, cooler, and paste.

My specs:
AMD athlon II x2 240 (clocked at 3.5 ghz)
4 gig corsair 1600 ddr3
tx650 corsair
MSI 890gxm-g65
Hitachi 1 tb hd 7200rpm
dell 22" lcd 1920X1200 60hz
6 120 mm case fans
Thermaltake r1 cpu cooler
Thermaltake v3 case
Diamond 6870
Lite-on DVD drive

so If someone could shed some light on this matter I would appreciate it. Also would an SSD increase actual game (fps) performance or is that more for load times and quick access? Is the old 7200 rpm sata drive holding my system back?

Thanks

More about : cpu choose

December 17, 2010 4:34:36 PM

Phenom x6 1100t will be better option
m
l
a c 159 à CPUs
December 17, 2010 4:36:52 PM

I would go for the 1090t, but wait until the after xmas sales. SSD's are great boot devices, but give only a slight boost for gaming. I would go for a 64 gb version from kingston or patriot. Patriot has bios updates for some of it's ssd's. Intel is also good. Don't pay more than $100; prices are dropping.
m
l
Related resources
December 17, 2010 4:55:33 PM

thats for the input. Also does anyone know if my motherboard, (which is listed above) will require a bios flash to run the six core? its stated six core ready but not exactly a ringing endorsement.
m
l
a c 161 à CPUs
December 17, 2010 5:43:19 PM

Hi.

You can see here the CPU support list for you mobo.

I agree with 01die, the 1090T is better option but after xmas.

For SSD, I'd go with 64GB C300 from Crucial.

Regarding the BIOS flash, check the current BIOS version that you have, the X6 need 1.7 version, if you don't have it update hte BIOS before change the CPU.
m
l
December 17, 2010 5:58:09 PM

saint19 said:
Hi.

You can see here the CPU support list for you mobo.

I agree with 01die, the 1090T is better option but after xmas.

For SSD, I'd go with 64GB C300 from Crucial.

Regarding the BIOS flash, check the current BIOS version that you have, the X6 need 1.7 version, if you don't have it update hte BIOS before change the CPU.

just checked my bios and its says its ver 1.6, how do i go about upgrading the bios? never done it before, also I am leaning towards the 1090t. Do you think the SSD is worth it? I probly have 80gigs of games on steam alone, is there any real world performance (meaning increased fps) with the ssd or am i looking at mainly faster transfer and load times? on secong glance is that the bios upgrade for the given chip to the right in a zip file? how do i execute this if it is even what i am looking for thanks
m
l

Best solution

a c 161 à CPUs
December 17, 2010 7:00:27 PM

Download the latest BIOS version and the manual from here: http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=downloadfile&dno=1141...

After that, open the manual and go to page 3-25, you can find there the manual process to update your BIOS.

Another way to update the BIOS is using MSI LiveUpdate. It's more easy for new users that want update BIOS version.

Regarding the SSD, the game should takes less time to load, but you will not see better FPS, since those FPS depends mostly from CPU and GPU and not from the SSD or HD
December 17, 2010 7:01:56 PM

Best answer selected by jjb8675309.
m
l
December 17, 2010 7:02:31 PM

thanks a lot I appreciate it, I will be flying high soon... is the hyper 212+ a good value oriented cpu cooler? I'm looking to achieve around 3.8 ghz with the new six core on air and a decent cpu cooler
m
l
a c 161 à CPUs
December 17, 2010 7:32:11 PM

jjb8675309 said:
thanks a lot I appreciate it, I will be flying high soon... is the hyper 212+ a good value oriented cpu cooler? I'm looking to achieve around 3.8 ghz with the new six core on air and a decent cpu cooler

Check my rig details and make your conclusion.
m
l
December 17, 2010 7:44:09 PM

saint19 said:
Check my rig details and make your conclusion.

well I guess I will answer with a big YES, just flashed my bios from a usb stick working great thanks a lot for your help
m
l
!