Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will my E6400 CPU limit my GeForce GTX 470?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 12, 2010 11:10:38 PM

Hey All, I'm about to order a GeForce GTX 470 this week and I'm wondering if it will be capped or limited by my E6400 2.13 GHZ processor in any way? And if so, how much should I safely overclock my E6400 with stock cooling? ( Would be my first time Overclocking)

EDIT: My rig specs can be found in my profile. Thanks In Advance :) 

Best solution

a b Î Nvidia
August 12, 2010 11:32:47 PM

Yes it will, and by a lot. In fact your current setup seems to be limited.

Aim for 2.8Ghz, the E6400 should do it with not too much effort.
But even then it will still hold the 470 back a bit.

I say put a halt on the 470 now (The 8800GTS SLI is about a tad worse than the 460) and get a better CPU.
August 12, 2010 11:34:49 PM

The CPU with its low clock speed will surely bottleneck the GTX 470.. Actually, am surprised how you went about with an 8800GTS SLI setup without overclocking your CPU.. Am not sure how much of an overclock you actually need to pull to avoid any bottlenecks.. What resolution gaming do you generally engage in..??
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2010 11:42:15 PM

Thanks for the quick replies guys. I usually play @ 1600x900 currently playing SC2. The reason I didn't buy a CPU first is because The 8800gts seem to get extremely hot. I have the fans running on 100% and am scared to try and run SC2 on any higher settings than 1600x900 low-med detail. One runs at around 60 under load which is fine, the other is at low 70s though.. Another reason Is I want to be able to use the HDMI on the 470. I was planning on upgrading my CPU and GPU when Diablo 3 comes out and get some better deals.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 12, 2010 11:45:17 PM

easy772 said:
Thanks for the quick replies guys. I usually play @ 1600x900 currently playing SC2. The reason I didn't buy a CPU first is because The 8800gts seem to get extremely hot. I have the fans running on 100% and am scared to try and run SC2 on any higher settings than 1600x900 low-med detail. One runs at around 60 under load which is fine, the other is at low 70s though.. Another reason Is I want to be able to use the HDMI on the 470. I was planning on upgrading my CPU and GPU when Diablo 3 comes out and get some better deals.

70 degrees load for a 8800GTS is normal, really normal (lol).
For HDMI, just use an DVI adapter, it shares a common signal, just HDMI has audio.

In your case, Id suggest just OC the CPU and wait for the new parts to come out, the GTX470 isn't gonna solve the heat problem, if your case isn't well ventilated, expects load temps around 80-90C.
m
l
August 12, 2010 11:54:26 PM

My case is pretty well ventilated. It's placed in a clutter free are and has a good amount of cooling. I was beginning to suspect that the 8800gts running at 70 was at the end of it's life-cycle. Why would one run hotter than the other?

Anyways you guys were very helpful, I guess I'll just get a DVI adapter and wait to upgrade my CPU and GPU when Diablo 3 comes out like I had planned!

Thanks again.
m
l
August 12, 2010 11:54:46 PM

Best answer selected by easy772.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 12, 2010 11:58:22 PM

easy772 said:
My case is pretty well ventilated. It's placed in a clutter free are and has a good amount of cooling. I was beginning to suspect that the 8800gts running at 70 was at the end of it's life-cycle. Why would one run hotter than the other?

Anyways you guys were very helpful, I guess I'll just get a DVI adapter and wait to upgrade my CPU and GPU when Diablo 3 comes out like I had planned!

Thanks again.

Are the 2 cards identical?
Which card is hotter BTW, if it is the top card and both cards are tightly spaced its pretty normal, as it has less room to draw cool air in.
m
l
August 13, 2010 12:11:25 AM

I agree with Timop's suggestion on getting a better CPU.. I am not sure how big a difference you'd notice from your intended purchase.. May be you can get a single GTX 460 1GB for now and put the rest of the cash in getting a better CPU (you can use the tom's CPU hierarchy chart from their best CPU's for gaming article to help decide on that).. It might end up with you needing to spend a little more but IMO, it'd be a very wise decision..
m
l
August 13, 2010 6:00:42 PM

Timop said:
Are the 2 cards identical?
Which card is hotter BTW, if it is the top card and both cards are tightly spaced its pretty normal, as it has less room to draw cool air in.

Yeah, they are pretty tightly spaced.. That's probably the reason.
m
l
August 13, 2010 6:01:48 PM

Emperus said:
I agree with Timop's suggestion on getting a better CPU.. I am not sure how big a difference you'd notice from your intended purchase.. May be you can get a single GTX 460 1GB for now and put the rest of the cash in getting a better CPU (you can use the tom's CPU hierarchy chart from their best CPU's for gaming article to help decide on that).. It might end up with you needing to spend a little more but IMO, it'd be a very wise decision..

I'll probably wait til Diablo 3 comes out to upgrade. These are fine for now. Thanks though!
m
l
!