Whats the best cpu from this list?

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
http://uk.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=DEhVtxvkJYAj0jQL

From the Supported CPU list on that page...Im going for one of the higher end core 2 duo's

iv never been good with cpu chips :(

Allso, how can i find out exactly what cpu my older computers running on?

DxDiag say's Intel Pentium 4 cpu 3.06Ghz

Is there any way with out taking it out to get the model of it?

Allso, For this new motherboard im getting int he next few days (if they post man gets through the snow) I will be down grading from a Q8200 core2quad to the P4 in the other machine. Also if it fits il put my currunt Q8200 into the older rig so my girlfriend can still use it, if its compatable that is.

This program will give you all the details.
If you do want the exact model number, you may have to remove the CPU but for the mostpart once you have all the information, there are very few CPUs with identical information and you can look up the CPU model number here.

As for the best CPU on the list, that is:
Core 2 extreme x6800.

However, they are hard to find for a decent price, if you can find them at all. Best dollar for performance, I recommend on the list:
I would recommend one but newegg has discontinued all those processors and I am unsure if the newer wolfdale's would be supported by your motherboard. They are not on the list. All processors on the list are the older Conroe processors.

Honestly though, your question was "what is the best CPU" not "what is the best CPU for my budget". So obviously you have no pricelimit. So why not just get a new computer? Or if that is too price constraining, just get a new motherboard that supports your current DDR2 memory along with a new CPU. A phenom IIx4 955 BE can be had for less than $150 and a decent AM2+ motherboard can be had for $60-70. If $210 is too much total, an Athlon IIx3 is still a really good option and better than the CPUs on the list you linked us to, for the mostpart. That can be had for ~$75 plus the motherboard.

Old1e, where do you see the Q9300 on that list?

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
thank you enzo matrix, well i do have a price limit, i think im going to send the motherboard back, get my money back and find a mobo thats core 2 quad compatable AND SLI-able.

If possible i would rather stay away from AMD and ATI, yes there good, yeah there cheap, but personal prefference makes me want Intel and Nvidia.

Your old ddr2 is actually worth the same as ddr3. I would sell it and upgrade to sandy bridge and ddr3, which goes for around $40 after rebate right now for 2x2 gb kits. Sandy bridge will be released soon; if prices are too high for you, look for an i5 760 and P55 chipset board, which will run around $250 for the pair.

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
whats sandy bridge.....thats a completely new one to me 0.o

$250 is around...£140 - £160ish right?
hmmm il see what happends and il see what my techy can get in to his shop and what not

jj463rd

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008
Sandy Bridge is Intel's new line of CPU's coming out next month in January 2011 on a new motherboard platform.Apparently some of those higher end Sandy Bridge CPU's will kick the ass of many of Socket 1366 Core i7's CPU's and a couple will even beat the highest end 6 core i7-980X monster for a lot less money (like around $300 USD).

Confusedracoon

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
hmmm i think il give sandy bridge a miss. i would rather stick to a core 2 quad..or downgrade to a duo =/

all the veriables these days is redonk-you-less