Graphics Card Affecting RAM???

angel0fmars

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I've upgraded my graphics card, but whenever I install drivers, the PC would BSOD while trying to start Windows. Specs below:

Dell Inspiron 530
Intel Q6600 (stock speeds)
3GB DDR2-800 RAM (4 DIMMs, 2 1GB and 2 512MB)
eVGA GT 240 512MB DDR5 (stock speeds) (used to be Intel GMA 3100 before I upgraded)
350W Power Supply
Windows Vista 32-bit

Once I removed the 2 512MB sticks, the PC boots up perfectly fine. Being a Vista user, 2GB is simply not enough when running just a couple programs. Is there any way to utilize the 1GB?

notty22

Distinguished
You probably could fix this situation if you could raise your ram voltage or adjust the ram timings, sadly you can't. It is possible that 3d graphics uncover or create a error at some ram address that was previously (lucky for you) never encountered before.

To prove all this out, you could d/l memtest at memtest.org, it creates a dos boot disk and run it. This runs without windows obviously. I'd almost surely bet that it will not show errors without the 2~512's , but will with.

angel0fmars

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Sorry for the super late post. I haven't gotten around to trying a 64 bit OS yet, but I have ran a Memtest. It reports no errors with all 4 sticks of RAM and the graphics card in it. BUT, it does say that each of the RAM sticks are running only at 400 MHz even though they're supposed to run at 800 MHz. Could my power supply be the problem? Or is it the motherboard?