Closed Solved

PSU upgrade

Hi I am trying to upgrade my psu to run my incoming processor and second 6870. Here are the specs of my build after the upgrades (w/o a psu):

AMD phenom II x6 1090t
4 gig corsair 1600 ddr3
MSI 890gxm-g65
Hitachi 1 tb hd 7200rpm
dell 22" lcd 1920X1200
6 120 mm case fans
CM hyper 212+
Thermaltake v3
Diamond 6870 x2
Lite-on DVD drive

also what are peoples opinion on crossfire in my current setup being that the pci-express slots are right next to each other, it is a micro atx mobo. the fact that it runs at 8X8 is not my concern but rather the heat issue and having a psu that will meet my needs for the entire system. I don't mind using a couple molex to 6 pin adapters to accomplish this bc it seems like only the real high end psu have 4 6 pins, anyhow which psu would you reccomend in this situation? Is the corsair tx 650 enough to run crossfire 6870s and an x6? what is the logical choice?
6 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about upgrade
  1. on the eXtreme psu calculator it says that I need 642 watts reccomended at 100% load, and obviously enough amps on a 12v rail for crossfire. I am leaning towards the corsair 650tx but am wandering if that will be enough, is there something better someone can reccomend in a similar price range?
  2. Best answer
  3. Maybe I should just forget it altogether. At a minimum, I would like to run a standard vga monitor as well as the hd tv that is now showing hulu pretty well already with a 25' rgb-pc cord - all zip tied nice and tidy. I just don't like craning my neck to see what is going on - on the tv screen. We already made room for the old computer monitor next to the ol' computer set-up. And there it sits doin nuthun :heink: We did just order a vga splitter, and that'll pretty much take care of the problem. But for some reason, I think that having the hdmi and better graphics processor would be a nice capability to have. Maybe my husband would enjoy some gaming :whistle: Or maybe I'm lucky he is not into gaming - and smarter to keep him from wanting to do that :hello:

That said, what is a good psu to put into a dell inspiron 530s so we can zoom up the graphics?
  4. geeky cat lady said:
    Maybe I should just forget it altogether. At a minimum, I would like to run a standard vga monitor as well as the hd tv that is now showing hulu pretty well already with a 25' rgb-pc cord - all zip tied nice and tidy. I just don't like craning my neck to see what is going on - on the tv screen. We already made room for the old computer monitor next to the ol' computer set-up. And there it sits doin nuthun :heink: We did just order a vga splitter, and that'll pretty much take care of the problem. But for some reason, I think that having the hdmi and better graphics processor would be a nice capability to have. Maybe my husband would enjoy some gaming :whistle: Or maybe I'm lucky he is not into gaming - and smarter to keep him from wanting to do that :hello:

That said, what is a good psu to put into a dell inspiron 530s so we can zoom up the graphics?

huh? wrong post, sounds like a miserable setup

I decided to go with the XFX thanks for your help
  5. Best answer selected by jjb8675309.
  6. This topic has been closed by Maziar
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Components Product