Closed

PSU upgrade

Tags:
  • Power Supplies
  • Components
  • Product
Last response: in Components
December 17, 2010 7:10:35 PM

Hi I am trying to upgrade my psu to run my incoming processor and second 6870. Here are the specs of my build after the upgrades (w/o a psu):

AMD phenom II x6 1090t
4 gig corsair 1600 ddr3
MSI 890gxm-g65
Hitachi 1 tb hd 7200rpm
dell 22" lcd 1920X1200
6 120 mm case fans
CM hyper 212+
Thermaltake v3
Diamond 6870 x2
Lite-on DVD drive

also what are peoples opinion on crossfire in my current setup being that the pci-express slots are right next to each other, it is a micro atx mobo. the fact that it runs at 8X8 is not my concern but rather the heat issue and having a psu that will meet my needs for the entire system. I don't mind using a couple molex to 6 pin adapters to accomplish this bc it seems like only the real high end psu have 4 6 pins, anyhow which psu would you reccomend in this situation? Is the corsair tx 650 enough to run crossfire 6870s and an x6? what is the logical choice?

More about : psu upgrade

December 17, 2010 7:51:54 PM

on the eXtreme psu calculator it says that I need 642 watts reccomended at 100% load, and obviously enough amps on a 12v rail for crossfire. I am leaning towards the corsair 650tx but am wandering if that will be enough, is there something better someone can reccomend in a similar price range?
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
December 17, 2010 7:57:29 PM

XFire 6870's on an OC'ed X58 system draw around 450w so I think 650w is plenty.

The corsair is a good price, these are a bit more but have the 4xpci-e.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Or this but its out of stock - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
December 18, 2010 12:31:26 AM

Maybe I should just forget it altogether. At a minimum, I would like to run a standard vga monitor as well as the hd tv that is now showing hulu pretty well already with a 25' rgb-pc cord - all zip tied nice and tidy. I just don't like craning my neck to see what is going on - on the tv screen. We already made room for the old computer monitor next to the ol' computer set-up. And there it sits doin nuthun :heink:  We did just order a vga splitter, and that'll pretty much take care of the problem. But for some reason, I think that having the hdmi and better graphics processor would be a nice capability to have. Maybe my husband would enjoy some gaming :whistle:  Or maybe I'm lucky he is not into gaming - and smarter to keep him from wanting to do that :hello: 

That said, what is a good psu to put into a dell inspiron 530s so we can zoom up the graphics?
Score
December 18, 2010 1:10:02 AM

geeky cat lady said:
Maybe I should just forget it altogether. At a minimum, I would like to run a standard vga monitor as well as the hd tv that is now showing hulu pretty well already with a 25' rgb-pc cord - all zip tied nice and tidy. I just don't like craning my neck to see what is going on - on the tv screen. We already made room for the old computer monitor next to the ol' computer set-up. And there it sits doin nuthun :heink:  We did just order a vga splitter, and that'll pretty much take care of the problem. But for some reason, I think that having the hdmi and better graphics processor would be a nice capability to have. Maybe my husband would enjoy some gaming :whistle:  Or maybe I'm lucky he is not into gaming - and smarter to keep him from wanting to do that :hello: 

That said, what is a good psu to put into a dell inspiron 530s so we can zoom up the graphics?

huh? wrong post, sounds like a miserable setup

I decided to go with the XFX thanks for your help
Score
December 18, 2010 1:10:34 AM

Best answer selected by jjb8675309.
Score
a b ) Power supply
December 18, 2010 7:30:40 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!