Sign in with
Your question

Number of threads or clock speed?

Last response: in CPUs
December 17, 2010 7:26:45 PM

Hello,
im working with 3d softwares(3ds max,real flow,AE..)and im willing to buy a new workstation, i have been confused about choosing a good CPU , in Xeon x5600 series i dont know which one to choose, i need a lot of threads for rendering but i cant afford more than ~1800$ for CPU so i dont know wheter choose a dual cpu with lower clock speed and higher threads or a single CPU with higher clock speed and lower threads.
sorry for this long letter
and thanks for reading
Amir
a c 78 à CPUs
December 17, 2010 7:35:45 PM

For 3d Software, it is more critical for the number of threads than it is for the higher clock speed and lower threads.
Related resources
December 18, 2010 4:48:03 AM

for the amount of money you're talking, the i7 will do you so much better. you don't need xeon class.
a c 131 à CPUs
December 18, 2010 12:21:23 PM

general r2 said:
for the amount of money you're talking, the i7 will do you so much better. you don't need xeon class.

A single i7 980X outperforming 2 of the xeons I linked on a 2p motherboard with his applications :heink:  I seriously doubt it.
a c 81 à CPUs
December 18, 2010 1:09:32 PM

enzo matrix said:
A single i7 980X outperforming 2 of the xeons I linked on a 2p motherboard with his applications :heink:  I seriously doubt it.

No need to doubt.. Its not gonna happen.. Having said that, I too would recommend a 2P setup.. 3DS Max can actually process to a max of 16 threads.. Depending on the project size, a good amount of ram is needed too.. As for the motherboard (assuming OP has not already bought one) the Asus Z8NA-D6C can be a cheap and effective option..
December 18, 2010 11:27:30 PM

enzo matrix said:

yeah, mis-read his post. i thought $1,800 for entire build. therefore, a good workstation class would be difficult at that price.
a c 131 à CPUs
December 19, 2010 1:09:22 AM

general r2 said:
yeah, mis-read his post. i thought $1,800 for entire build. therefore, a good workstation class would be difficult at that price.

Oh I see. If that were the case, I would agree with you.
!