Number of threads or clock speed?

amirmansour

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2010
Hello,
im working with 3d softwares(3ds max,real flow,AE..)and im willing to buy a new workstation, i have been confused about choosing a good CPU , in Xeon x5600 series i dont know which one to choose, i need a lot of threads for rendering but i cant afford more than ~1800$ for CPU so i dont know wheter choose a dual cpu with lower clock speed and higher threads or a single CPU with higher clock speed and lower threads.
sorry for this long letter
and thanks for reading
Amir

A single i7 980X outperforming 2 of the xeons I linked on a 2p motherboard with his applications :heink: I seriously doubt it.

No need to doubt.. Its not gonna happen.. Having said that, I too would recommend a 2P setup.. 3DS Max can actually process to a max of 16 threads.. Depending on the project size, a good amount of ram is needed too.. As for the motherboard (assuming OP has not already bought one) the Asus Z8NA-D6C can be a cheap and effective option..

general r2

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010

yeah, mis-read his post. i thought $1,800 for entire build. therefore, a good workstation class would be difficult at that price.

Oh I see. If that were the case, I would agree with you.