Is it safe for me to only use a SSD for my computer?

brown hash

Honorable
Dec 18, 2012
I am currently using a computer with a 500GB HDD that has lasted me over 3 years and 7 months and still going. My 2 past computers were also HDD that has each lasted over three years. That to me is normal and makes sense, why would my memory storage be in danger anyway?

I'm planning on getting a new gaming computer with a sumsung 250gb ssd only with no backup harddrives, is it safe? because i have heard stories about SSDs failing/breaking within 6 months and 6 months is a extremely short time which also doesn't make sense as to why the risks are so great. I heard sunsumg is a good ssd brand so do you guys think its safe for me to get a sumsung 250gb ssd? and could it last me over 3 years just like a hdd? which makes sense anyway. Thanks in advance.

drew13

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
I have had my hard drive for 7 years now and it is working PERFECTLY fine. It came out of an HP Pavilion a6112n from 2006. Having an SSD with all of your games isn't a problem at all. There is a low chance that your SSD will break and if it does, there are usually a 1-2 year warranty on products. If you do get a SSD, back up all of your files on that hard drive just incase.

Well, it's a lot like the hard drives - if it lasts through the first three months or so, the hard drive is going to last. Same thing with SSDs, but SSDs are even MORE reliable than hard drives are, due to not having any moving parts.

Here's the list of what you want in order of speed and reliability:

Samsung 840 PRO, Samsung 830, OCZ Vertex 4, Intel 520, Crucial M4, Intel others and OCZ Agility 4.

Do NOT buy the non-pro samsung 840; it uses low quality NAND, and has a much higher chance of not lasting.

tech_twist

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2010
id stick with the HDD if i where you instead of getting SSD it only helps for performance but i think it wouldnt last very long unlike the HDD does and can sove extra dollars for other PC parts