Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Need help with intel or AMD

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Share
December 17, 2010 10:31:53 PM

I think i'm going to upgrade may system. Looking to get 3 new items MB. CPU & RAM. I already have Corsair HX850 PSU, 2x 5850 crossfire, 4x 1TB HDs, DVD and inputs. I can't decide between these 2 setups. Trying to keep it under $600 but both of these are about $630.

option 1 AMD
ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
1090T
16GB (4x4gb) g skill 12800CL9D

option 2 intel
ASUS sabertooth x58
i7 950
12GB (6x2gb) g skill 12800CL9T

Help me choose.
Thanks,
Steve

More about : intel amd

December 17, 2010 10:35:58 PM

How much do you like to overlock?
December 17, 2010 10:40:47 PM

Not a lot but I will a little.
Related resources
a c 78 à CPUs
December 17, 2010 10:56:35 PM

What is the usage of your PC... Or what do you need 12+ GB of RAM?

December 18, 2010 12:12:15 AM

I don't need 12GB. I do video editing and play games.
a c 78 à CPUs
December 18, 2010 12:27:15 AM

Well... video editing (special HD) can benefit from more RAM, not really so for gaming :(  With that said, the Intel i7 950 is the better option across the board at equal prices... IMO The i7 950 out performs it pretty much across the board: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/146?vs=100
December 18, 2010 1:04:34 AM

+1 on the core i7-950 /w asus sabertooth
December 18, 2010 3:27:41 AM

Thanks that's the way I was leaning.
December 18, 2010 4:25:19 AM

I actually had just about the same setup ...

ASUS Crosshair IV Extreme
1090T
16GB (4x4gb) g skill 12800CL9D


And I changed it to an i7-980X and Asus Rampage III Extreme. The i7-980X blew away the AMD. Rendering finished 2x faster.

Here are some lessons learned:

1. When rendering video with the AMD, the AMD will run at just about 100% leaving nothing to any other process. Opening another window or doing anything else while the rendering is going on will be soooo slow.
2. When rendering video with the Intel i7, it runs at 90% leaving you 10% to do other things, like open other widows. BTW, my Mac Pro with two 6c Xeons render video using only 25% processing power - incredible.
3. The AMD 1090T is 6c and just 6 computing threads.
4. The i7 950 is 4c and 8 computing threads! This is because it has hyper threading. When you go to Task Manager, you'll see 8 threads running! All 8 threads help during rendering.
5. Not much different in price from 1090T and i7-950. The prices on the i7 950 are very good these days. Excellent value.
6. The onboard RAID controller on the Crosshair IV Extreme sucks so bad, I'm trying to figure out what to do with this now. I threw this mobo and processor into a file server that I'm now regretting - see my other threads about this issue.
7. The asus sabertooth is a really good mobo. I've built 4 computers with that mobo and no issues so far. Plus, I believe the warranty is something like 5 years on it.
8. The heatsink that comes with the 1090T sucks. It used to scream when rendering. I thought I was in a server room or something.
9. The stock heatsink on the i7-950 is really good. It does a good job keeping it cool and it's quiet. You don't need an after market one.

Anyhow, if you still want the AMD route, please buy my mobo and processor. I'll sell you half price! I'll never do AMD again.

I hope this info helps.



a b à CPUs
December 18, 2010 4:47:40 AM

I would advise to completely hold off of your current planned build choices because Intel next month (January 2011) will be releasing their new Sandy Bridge CPU's some of which are as or more potent than the 6 core Core i7-980X monster especially the Core i7-2600K which will sell for a little over $300.

Yes you could buy now but if you wait a month you will get a much more powerful system.
Don't be desperate with your money.
December 18, 2010 4:49:31 AM

hold off for another intel till jan '11, just don't go amd route!
December 24, 2010 11:05:30 PM

Just saw the new Sabertooth p67. I will wait and see how much.
Thanks again,
Steve
a b à CPUs
December 25, 2010 12:35:53 AM

I had thought earlier that the Sandy Bridge i7-2600K would rate higher than even the i7-980X at stocks speeds.Perhaps in some areas at stock speeds.It is known that it should be able to oc better.
Anyway here is at least one benchmark of it so far.
Pretty impressive for a $317 CPU
http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Co...

AMD could have success with their upcoming Bulldozer in a few months (perhaps 6 or 7 months) from now but so far it's an unknown (could be a flop,could be O.K. or could be a world beater). Yes just wait and see for now till perhaps the end of January till you know for sure (multiple reviews,benchmarks,customer satisfaction etc).
!