bitsolo

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
Ok so this is going to be quite long. I've been in #hardware on freenode for the past two weeks trying to figure this out.

Here are the build specs from Newegg:
■GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
■Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
■CORSAIR CMPSU-550VX 550W ATX12V V2.2
■SAPPHIRE 100293L Radeon HD 5570 1GB 128-bit DDR3
■SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM hdd
■G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL (4 of these totaling 8GB)

So I set everything up and get it running and install Windows 7 on it. I didn't use the graphics drivers for the video card in the beginning, and as a result, the display looked like crap. I ended up using the installation CD that came with the graphics card, but when I did that, I was immediately getting BSODs and reboots. I thought it was the RAM, ran a memtest from a live Ubuntu CD, and tested all the sticks. The test returned no errors. I flashed the motherboard with the new BIOS revision, but still nothing.

I ended up downloading the ATI drivers from the ATI website and still those warranted the same issues (random reboots and BSODs) even giving me a bunch of weird red lines running across the screen. I disabled the drivers and used the standard Windows graphics drivers which immediately fixed the issue. I RMA'd the graphics card and replaced it with a ASUS ENGT240/DI/512MD5/A GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit GDDR5 which I currently have.

Just last night I'm using the computer (haven't had a chance to really use it as I've been gone), and I got a random BSOD and a few reboots (about 4). I did a memtest on all sticks of ram again, and again no errors. One thing I'm thinking might be an issue is that my motherboard doesn't state that the particular RAM I'm using is supported. The mobo states it supports DDR3 2200/1333/1066/800. The RAM I have is DDR3 but is spec'd for 1600 MHz. The system the RAM is running @ 1.5v and 1333MHz, but I enabled the Extreme Memory Profile in BIOS per G Skill's advice so it is now running @ 1600MHz.

I'm not having the same frequency of reboots, but I'd rather have none, and not have to worry about when or if my system might randomly restart. Hopefully someone can help me out. I've been trying everything, and as this is my first build, it's been quite the headache for me.

Here are some wonderful BSOD pictures for your viewing pleasure:
http://imgur.com/Y52BG&r4RLil
http://imgur.com/Y52BG.jpg

UPDATE: Recently, I haven't been able to use my computer since I've been gone, and it seemed the first thing that happened after I entered my password in the Windows login screen was a BSOD.

eloodo

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Hey Bitsolo,
Im suprised about the similarity of our problems and hardware used on the build.
My System:

2- Western Digital AV-GP WD7500AVDS 750GB SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ (8GB total)

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3 LGA 1156 Intel P55 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

SAPPHIRE 100296HDMI Radeon HD 4670

Intel Core i7-860 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156

CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V

My problems are very similar in nature to yours. I built the PC for a friend in August of 2010 and it lasted about 3 days before the BSOD's started. I ran MemTest86 and found that 2 of the sticks of memory were reporting errors so I sent them back for RMA to G-Skill. Meanwhile I rebuilt the PC (due to Hard Drive bad sectors and corruption) and gave it back to my friend with 4 GB of Ram installed. It lasted 2 days before he called me back with the same issue. I took the PC and rebuilt it again, Full rebuild all the parts removed and put back together and then reinstalled the OS again. 2 days later same damn problem. I sent the Processor back to Intel and got a new one installed.. Same problems continued. I then replaced the PSU and the problems continued. I purchased a new ASUS motherboard and put the PC back together and..same damn BSOD problems. I finally noticed that I hadnt flashed the BIOS to the latest f9 version (should have checked that first..) Rebuilt the PC again and installed the newly replaced 4GB of GSkill to bring the total back up to 8GB. I then ran a burn in test for hours and had the computer set to reboot constantly for 1 day. It seemed to be stable. Gave it back to my friend and 2 days later he reports that the Windows login screen wont display. It gets through the windows logo and to the blue background but it keeps flickering to a black screen and then back to a blue windows background. The mouse is moving but there is not a password field available to login to the PC. So I get the computer back and find a spare SATA HDD to put into it thinking that maybe the hard drives are bad, I also found 4gb of different DDR3 memory to use. I put in the new HDD and Memory and rebuild the PC again..The SOB throws another BSOD message after I finish the fresh OS install!
So ive changed out every component on the PC, tore it down and rebuilt it 6 times, reinstalled the OS 8 times and it keeps doing the same thing. I thought that maybe my OS install disc was corrupted somehow so as of last night Im installing Windows 7 Ultimate (32bit).
Another thing that I noticed on the Gigabyte board is that memory slots 1 and 3, when used by themselves, will not allow the PC to boot up. I get no video signal when 2 sticks are used in these slots. Im also now seeing that when I use all 4 slots the PC is going into the endless boot cycle. Using only 2 sticks in slots 2 and 4 allowed me to get the PC rebuilt with Windows 7 ultimate last night (2/13/2011)
I started doing some research today and found another guy with similar problems to us using the same motherboard. He also replaced the mobo with an ASUS model and said that he had the same problems UNTIL he completely wiped the hard drives clean using KillDisk . He thought that the malfunctioning Gigabyte motherboard had so completely corrupted the hard drives that the new motherboard would also experience the same issues.
Im going to try reinstalling the ASUS motherboard tonight but Im also going to try completely wiping the hard drives first with killdisk before installing the OS.

Its been awhile since you posted your original problem. If by chance you figured out what was causing your issues please email me at ELUDOVIC (AT) Cableone (DOT) net . Also, anyone else who is having these problems on similar hardware can feel free to contact me.

Thanks,
Eric.