Sign in with
Your question

Can't find Harddrive overtime?

Last response: in Storage
January 2, 2013 7:02:31 AM

On Computer Restart my new Harddrive 'F:' will load and I can access the files, but over time like a day or less 'F:' randomly no longer shows up.
a b G Storage
January 2, 2013 7:47:46 AM

is this an internal hardrive or a USB drive?
m
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
January 2, 2013 5:56:42 PM

hmm. There could be a few reasons for this.
1. loose power cable for the hard drive
2. loose data cable for the hard drive
3 Hard drive is going bad
4. Could be a motherboard problem

A. Check all cables and reseat the ones pertaining to that hard drive (both ends of the data cable)

B. If no change after using system for a while, test hard drive, some boards have a hard drive tester built-in to the bios or to the F12 boot options.
m
l
January 4, 2013 11:07:39 PM

danny2000 said:
hmm. There could be a few reasons for this.
1. loose power cable for the hard drive
2. loose data cable for the hard drive
3 Hard drive is going bad
4. Could be a motherboard problem

A. Check all cables and reseat the ones pertaining to that hard drive (both ends of the data cable)

B. If no change after using system for a while, test hard drive, some boards have a hard drive tester built-in to the bios or to the F12 boot options.

Well since I needed to use one of the Harddrive I decided to reboot, and it still didn't show up. But then I rebooted again and checked the BIOS. Both harddrives showed and when I finished booting the Harddrive is now showing up. So it appears rebooting doesn't fix it but opening the BIOS does, but after time it doesn't show up again.
m
l
a b G Storage
January 4, 2013 11:59:12 PM

I would still check all of the cables as that is common and reseat them also.

I would do the hard drive test also.

Windows may be having a hard time loading the drivers for the hard drives because the hard drive could be bad or any of the other reasons mentioned above.
m
l
January 10, 2013 2:20:38 PM

danny2000 said:
I would still check all of the cables as that is common and reseat them also.

I would do the hard drive test also.

Windows may be having a hard time loading the drivers for the hard drives because the hard drive could be bad or any of the other reasons mentioned above.

I've checked all the cables, what do you mean by "reseating" them? Also I think it becomes "inactive" when stopping or starting a Frap recording. (Doesn't do it the first time I try, but maybe Fraps writing onto it is a cause?)
m
l
a b G Storage
January 10, 2013 6:10:33 PM

Reseat means to remove (unplug and replug in) or disconnect the cables from the device and reseat them. Reseat all ends of the cables that you can, be them power cables or data cables on both ends.
m
l
January 13, 2013 1:57:16 PM

danny2000 said:
Reseat means to remove (unplug and replug in) or disconnect the cables from the device and reseat them. Reseat all ends of the cables that you can, be them power cables or data cables on both ends.

That didn't seem to work, I heard I might need to update my drivers on my mobo. Could that be it?
m
l
a b G Storage
January 13, 2013 4:28:13 PM

Have you tested the hard drive?
m
l
!