Salvage or build?

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I traded a Socket 939 processor for an Asus P45 mobo thinking it was a good deal. I still say it is but it was with the intention of later buying a LGA 775 processor. I have all the other parts including 2 sticks of DDR2 RAM although they're only 1GB each. I already have a P35 system which has a Q6600 cpu and 4GB of RAM. I repeat, I have most of the other parts: PSU, memory, HDD etc. The thing is, is it worth it to build the 2nd/extra system by just buying a used 775 cpu?

What should I do now?!?

I checked online for used ads, ebay and a couple of used/classifieds sections of forums but the prices seem high. There's some Q6600 processors for $100 and the odd E8400 comes up for about $120 - $140. But, it's that too much. Seems overvalued.

So, I looked at the newer Intel motherboards and processors and it looks like I could get a mobo for about $50 and an i5-650 processor for around $150. So, about $200 and just would need DDR3 RAM but that's probably another $80 or so? For $300, I'd have an upgrade but this hardware will soon be outdated, too, with Sandy Bridge coming up.

The other thing I thought I could do is get a slightly better cpu and look for Q9400 or Q9550 but that is about $200 to $280 depending on which cpu.

What do you recommend? Is there a cheaper alternative? I guess I could also just give up and sell the hardware (only two sticks of 1GB RAM isn't in demand and the Asus P5Q mobo probably won't fetch much, maybe $60?). I think I'd be lucky to get $100 for the bundle?

I probably should have sold everything and upgraded but I didn't have an extra computer at the time (that worked) so I kept the P35 system.

What ought I do now? :)

Q6600 for $100 is in line with current processor prices. If it were me, I would just get that and get the system up and running. If you don't need the power of the i5, don't get it. I'm hypocritical though considering my soon planned upgrades...

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
Good points and comments! Something to think about! Is there any way I could sell my current parts and get an i5 system for relatively cheap?

How much value does my LGA 775 parts have? It seems my Q6600 might be worth $100 and my P35 and P45 motherboards might be worth $50 and $100, respectively. Or is that a bit high?

I think an i5-650 is about $150 and I might be able to get a compatible mobo for $60?

http://directeasybuy.com/proddetail.php?prod=GA-H55M-S2

So new parts: $210 + $60 ($270) 4GB DDR3 RAM - old parts ($250) = $20 but more likely breaking even or needing about $50 to invest in the new parts.

Or is that estimate not accurate or doable?

Any further comments? I am wondering if it is worth the trouble of selling. Maybe too difficult to get asking price? I notice these old boards being sold at an ebay 'buy-it-now' price that is very high but I suspect not too many get sold?

Anyway, it's something to consider? I have everything else but the question is can I upgrade to an i5 system with selling my old parts or will my parts even sell? The Q6600 I am sure I could sell (ironic, that I was looking for that cpu originally! :).

OR:
A) I could keep the current hardware and build a 2nd computer for the cost of a used LGA 775 cpu and build with the current components or
B) I could sell most of my old hardware and buy a laptop! LOL! But, laptops are fragile, right? Not good for having as your only system? Probably too risky?

I am not sure what to do here but maybe someone who is good at considering all these types of options can comment? I know I'll probably pick an option in which I second myself after! LOL!

Anyway, thanks for the ideas and advice! 'Hope my reply to your comments is interesting enough for some of ya to return and even new ideas and contributors! :D

The i5 itself is $200, motherboard $100 and ram $60. I don't think you could sell those parts you have now for that much.

A bit low, actually.

You can get a low end one for $65.
Why would you go for the i5 650 though? that's a dual core. I'd personally rather have the Q6600.

"Note: USD equivalent shown below are approximates only and not necessarily the amount that will be charged on your credit card."

$210 for a 650? that's a rip. $210 is even more than the i5 760 can be found for.

It's a simple yes or no from your end. If you think a Q6600 system will not be powerful enough for you, you have no choice but to sell. If you do think it will be enough, then don't sell.

Definitely an option to consider though. Another point of selling, you could consider having a high asking price for the complete built system. Consider looking into both the idea of selling the complete system and the idea of selling off the components.

A. Good luck building a system for >$200
B. That is an option. I don't know where you get "fragile" from. The thing to note about laptops (no pun intended) is that to get equal performance to a desktop system, you need to pay 2-3 times the price.

I recommend leaving your current system as is and not wasting money right now.
As for the second system, you found a Q6600 for $100. That is a great deal. Get it and get it up and running so your money on the other components in the second system doesn't go to waste.

You haven't said anything about your computer uses that would indicate you have any need for a more powerful computer. So why build a new i5 computer?

Canuck1

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I think you may be right, Enzo. :) I will express it this way:
All possible parts:
motherboards: Gigabyte P35 mobo, Asus P5Q mobo (most recent acquisition)
RAM: 2 sticks of Mushkin DDR2 RAM (4GB), 2 sticks of Crucial DDR2 RAM (2GB)
CPU: Q6600, .....future???? so buy the used Q6600 for $100 to build a 2nd system?
PSU: 1 520w Corsair, 1 Coolermaster(?) 500w
hard drives: WD 320GB, Samsung 500GB

So, with all the parts above, I should be able to recycle or move around enough so that I could have two computers. I could put all the ram into one and buy more or split or whatever. With a $100 Q6600 cpu, for e.g., I'd have equally powerful systems.

I guess that is the cheapest and easiest but I'd have outdated hardware. But, it is probably cheapest and then when I have more money, I can invest in a laptop and wait a bit before building a more modern machine.

Thanks for the perspective. I welcome all perspectives and opinions, though. I just hope my hardware keeps going. I guess that is what I'd worry about the most.

P.S. the i5-650 cpu here goes for $145.