RAID 1 Options for Windows 7 Home Premium, please help

Ok, I am completly changing my original post instead of starting a new one, situation changed. I realized I can't use Windows Home premium to set up RAID 1. CRAP, CRAP, CRAP - very frustrated :cry: :fou: . Should have done my research. Now here is my question...

I already have these two 1 T drives. What is the best option for Raid 1 (mirror) setup for me knowing Windows Home Premium won't do it for me...

1. Go out and pay another $100+ for windows 7 upgrade?
2. Find a raid controller card? How would that work?
3. Some other cheap solution?

Thanks for any help
14 answers Last reply
More about raid options windows home premium help
  1. anyone out there
  2. This topic has been moved from the section Windows 7 to section Storage by Maziar
  3. Thank you for moving. Anyone know how I might add two drives to my pc? Any cards that do this or do I have to have it run from my mobo. Thanks
  4. Sorry to keep pinging on this, any suggestions? Want to add a raid configuration to my old system, is there a card you can buy that does this?

Thanks for any help.
  5. Doesn't the motherboard support RAID?
  6. It does,

These are the available settings:

RAID Autodetect / AHCI= Raid if signed drives, otherwise AHCI (<<this is the current setting)
    RAID Autodetect / ATA = Raid if signed drives, otherwise ATA
    RAID ON = SATA is configured for RAID on every boot
    Combination = SATA/PATA combination mode

When you select any other setting this is what you get:

Attention! Changing this setting may prevent your operating system from booting or require a reinstall. Are you sure you want to continue?

So that is my problem, I do not want to screw up my system. I have three drives, one little 160MB C drive with the OS, and 2 1T drives that I want to make RAID 1. Can I do this with my Mother Board with out losing my Operating System??

Thanks for the help
  7. It's pretty tough to answer your question without knowing what motherboard/chipset you have. Based on your settings, you probably don't have an Intel based motherboard.

Before making changes, perform a complete backup just in case something goes wrong. Then switch the SATA controller to RAID mode after enabling the drivers at boot time: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975453

Then you should be able to install whatever tools are available with your motherboard to configure and monitor the RAID 1.
  8. Double post...
  9. GhislainG said:
    It's pretty tough to answer your question without knowing what motherboard/chipset you have. Based on your settings, you probably don't have an Intel based motherboard.

Before making changes, perform a complete backup just in case something goes wrong. Then switch the SATA controller to RAID mode after enabling the drivers at boot time: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/975453

Then you should be able to install whatever tools are available with your motherboard to configure and monitor the RAID 1.

Thank you for replying. This is what I have and the situation I am in. This is a Dell XPS 400. It is a Pentium D 3000. I installed windows 7 home premium update. I have not changed the BIOS settings I described above yet. I tried to go and install some Dell software for controling raid (somthing the manual says you need after making the bios changes), but because of the windows 7 installation Dell looks at my machine and says "I don't know who you are" and won't install it.

So, I am cool with switching to RAID mode if it won't touch my C drive, except afraid I will lose my OS because of the warning I received. Since it was an upgrade I am worried Microsoft will tell me that I have to get my original XP installed first on my machine then perform the 7 installation...I am afraid I might not have that windows XP original OEM disk and I might be in a world of hurt.
  10. Isn't there a Microsoft sticker on your system indicating what OS is licensed?

If the controller is set for "RAID Autodetect/ATA", did you check if HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Iastorv is set to start at boot?
  11. GhislainG said:
    Isn't there a Microsoft sticker on your system indicating what OS is licensed?

Yes, windows XP, but I just put 7 on it, Dell servers think its not a dell system. Probably because I did not buy windows 7 from them.

GhislainG said:
    If the controller is set for "RAID Autodetect/ATA", did you check if HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Iastorv is set to start at boot?

Current setting, and I have not changed it, is RAID Autodetect / AHCI= Raid if signed drives, otherwise AHCI

Not sure where HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE is located, can you give a little more detail?

Thanks again for your help
  12. HKLM is in the registry (use regedit to view the registry). Please refer to the Microsoft link that I provided.
  13. GhislainG said:
    HKLM is in the registry (use regedit to view the registry). Please refer to the Microsoft link that I provided.

Ahh, I overlooked that, thanks, will have to dig into this... Thanks for the help..
  14. Double post
Ask a new question

Read More

NAS / RAID Windows 7 Storage