It's another new build :)

Lefti

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
well more of an upgrade really, this should replace the guts of my existing PC:

I was thinking...

MB - Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

CPU - Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz (It's like a tenner more than the 930)

RAM - Corsair 6GB (3x2GB) DDR3 1600MHz

GFX - PALIT GTX 470 x 2 (SLI)

Approx cost - ..try not to think about it.

I would gain additional confidence in this configuration following any comments the forum inhabitants. Have I missed anything obvious? The PSU I have is a Zalman ZM850-HP, which I reckon is up to the job.

much thanks :)

The muskin CAS 6 is typically cheaper than the corsair CAS 8 yu selected ... At least here in US.

CPmsider the ASus mobo / 470 pairing. The Voltage tweak feature is nice and having the pair from same source can ease tech support woes as calling one outfit usually results in them blaming the other :)

Lefti

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2008
Thanks for the tips.

I couldn't find the mushkin RAM you mentioned (I live in the UK and here we get screwed on price and availability) but I did find this OCZ CAS6 memory(6-8-6-24 timings) which seems better, I'm curious as to why ebuyer is selling it cheaper than similar memory with looser timings, have I missed something?

The reason I chose the Palit cards over the similarly priced Asus ones is that Palit has fitted its own cooler, which keeps the cards slightly cooler, which can only be a good thing as the GTX 4470 apparently gets very hot indeed.