Binding mouse buttons UT2004

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

When I played Onslaught with my old 3 button mouse, I had the Avril
bound to the middle button. This worked well for me, so today I bought a
5-button mouse mainly so that I could bind 'Use' to another mouse button.

I'm having problems with it. The extra buttons seem to be recognised
only as the middle mouse button, and if I have 'Use' bound to a button,
I'm looking vertically upwards after I press it, whether I've just got
in a Raptor or just teleporting. Its no good!

Also, I bound the middle button to open Explorer (when not playing UT of
course), thinking Windows functions would be over-ridden when playing
the game, but I was wrong.... UT minimises and Explorer opens!

Is it me or is it the cheap mouse? How do I set it up to do what I want?
Can 5-button mice actually do what I want? Any recommended ones?
Thanks.

Meltdown

Steve enlightened us with:
> When I played Onslaught with my old 3 button mouse, I had the Avril
> bound to the middle button. This worked well for me, so today I bought
> a 5-button mouse mainly so that I could bind 'Use' to another mouse
> button.

What mouse? What software? What OS?

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

Steve wrote:
> When I played Onslaught with my old 3 button mouse, I had the Avril
> bound to the middle button. This worked well for me, so today I
> bought a 5-button mouse mainly so that I could bind 'Use' to another
> mouse button.
>
> I'm having problems with it. The extra buttons seem to be recognised
> only as the middle mouse button, and if I have 'Use' bound to a
> button, I'm looking vertically upwards after I press it, whether I've
> just got in a Raptor or just teleporting. Its no good!

Can you bind a key to the other mouse buttons in the mouse driver (the
same as you've done with explorer on the middle one) then bind that same
key to the 'use' command in UT? Might work ;)

--
Mutley!! Doooooo Something!!
Fix Outlook Express - http://flash.to/oe-quotefix/

Meltdown

MeltDown enlightened us with:
> What software?

Sorry, should have used more words. I ment "What mouse/driver software
do you use?"

Littlemoot wrote:

> Can you bind a key to the other mouse buttons in the mouse driver (the
> same as you've done with explorer on the middle one) then bind that same
> key to the 'use' command in UT? Might work ;)

Ah, it worked! I bound the F10 key to the 4th button and then 'Use' to
the F10 key. The Avril is bound to the middle button as I wanted, too.

Only problem now is that I can't use the mouse's extra buttons for any
Windows functions. The 'Back' keybind on a mouse button for my browser
was handy ;( Oh well... perhaps its the cheap mouse? I dunno..

Thanks Littlemoot.

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

MeltDown wrote:
> MeltDown enlightened us with:
>
>>What software?
> Sorry, should have used more words. I ment "What mouse/driver software
> do you use?"

Sorry, I should have mentioned this.
The mouse is a 4D Browser Mouse with the supplied drivers. I use XP Pro.

Steve wrote:
> Ah, it worked! I bound the F10 key to the 4th button and then 'Use' to
> the F10 key. The Avril is bound to the middle button as I wanted, too.

Thought it might :)

> Only problem now is that I can't use the mouse's extra buttons for any
> Windows functions. The 'Back' keybind on a mouse button for my browser
> was handy ;( Oh well... perhaps its the cheap mouse? I dunno..

It'll be a function of the drivers. I don't know the specific one you
have but with my Microsoft 5 button mouse I can set program specific
bindings. For example I have the side buttons as forward and back for
browsing and copy/paste in Word.

--

Littlemoot wrote:

> I don't know the specific one you
> have but with my Microsoft 5 button mouse I can set program specific
> bindings. For example I have the side buttons as forward and back for
> browsing and copy/paste in Word.

I've played a few games of UT2004 tonight and have decided I can't live
with this mouse. Every time I press 'Use', I end up looking vertically
upwards, or down at the ground. Its also a poor shape, and I can't pick
it up without inadvertently pressing a side button, which gets me into
alsorts of trouble in UT ;)

The mouse may be fine when used purely in Windows applications, but in
UT2004, its hopeless. You get what you pay for, and it *was* cheap.

I've just ordered a Logitech MX510. I hope its considerably better!
Thanks for your time Littlemoot :)

Meltdown

Steve enlightened us with:
> I've just ordered a Logitech MX510. I hope its considerably better!

I've got a Logitech MX700, and it rocks! I haven't bought anything but
Logitech when pointer devices were concerned, and I have never had any
regret.

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:29:41 +0100, Steve wrote:

> I've just ordered a Logitech MX510. I hope its considerably better! Thanks

Good investment! I have already one, and it rocks. By the way, try this
program called Logigamer. It switches mouse bindings on the fly, depending
on the program launched. And with 510 it's the only possibility to bind
the extra buttons around the wheel.

http://www.geocities.com/gpkgpk13/

--

Bora Ugurlu

mailto:boraugurlu@yahoo.de

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

Bora Ugurlu wrote:

> By the way, try this
> program called Logigamer. It switches mouse bindings on the fly, depending
> on the program launched. And with 510 it's the only possibility to bind
> the extra buttons around the wheel.
>
> http://www.geocities.com/gpkgpk13/

Aha! Thanks for that. I've saved it in readiness for when I get my new
mouse :)

Can it make the forward back and middle buttons, Mouse 4, 5, and 3 like
the MS mice?

"Bora Ugurlu" <boraugurlu@yahoo.de> wrote in message
| On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:29:41 +0100, Steve wrote:
|
| > I've just ordered a Logitech MX510. I hope its considerably better!
Thanks

| Good investment! I have already one, and it rocks. By the way, try
this
| program called Logigamer. It switches mouse bindings on the fly,
depending
| on the program launched. And with 510 it's the only possibility to
bind
| the extra buttons around the wheel.
|

| http://www.geocities.com/gpkgpk13/
|

| --
|
| Bora Ugurlu
|
| mailto:boraugurlu@yahoo.de

On 4/22/2004 2:59 PM Mike M brightened our day with:

>Can it make the forward back and middle buttons, Mouse 4, 5, and 3 like
>the MS mice?

Can it make them what?

LogiGamer just lets you assign the buttons to whatever you want, similar
to the Intellimouse software that MS uses.
I.e. I have the two thumb buttons set to "K" and "L" and the three extra
middle buttons set to ";", ",", and ".".
It runs in the system tray and monitors for whenever you launch a game
or application. You can individually set the buttons for different
applications.

So ass-smack is assigned to ".".

I have an MX500, all games I have I can use all the buttons.

--
"Smiles everyone, Smiles!" - Mr. Roarke

Steve [Inglo]

Steve <steveo40uk@yahoo.com> schrieb:

>Bora Ugurlu wrote:
>
>> By the way, try this
>> program called Logigamer. It switches mouse bindings on the fly, depending
>> on the program launched. And with 510 it's the only possibility to bind
>> the extra buttons around the wheel.
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/gpkgpk13/
>
>Aha! Thanks for that. I've saved it in readiness for when I get my new
>mouse :)

dont give up your mouse! its the best for win and UT, i suppose u got
this one:
http://www.a4tech.de/products/wop_35.htm
i had no problems to configure the 5 bottons for UT, the only thing i
cant get to work is the second wheel in Ut, but 5 buttons are really
enough.
cheap and superb...

"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in
message news:ruZhc.54390$x81.35875@newssvr25.news.prodigy.com...
| On 4/22/2004 2:59 PM Mike M brightened our day with:
|
| >Can it make the forward back and middle buttons, Mouse 4, 5, and 3
like
| >the MS mice?
| >

| Can it make them what?
|
| LogiGamer just lets you assign the buttons to whatever you want,
similar
| to the Intellimouse software that MS uses.
| I.e. I have the two thumb buttons set to "K" and "L" and the three
extra
| middle buttons set to ";", ",", and ".".
| It runs in the system tray and monitors for whenever you launch a game
| or application. You can individually set the buttons for different
| applications.
|
| So ass-smack is assigned to ".".
|
| I have an MX500, all games I have I can use all the buttons.
|
| --
| "Smiles everyone, Smiles!" - Mr. Roarke
|
| Steve [Inglo]

OK probably good enough then, and thanks.
Mike

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
> On 4/22/2004 2:59 PM Mike M brightened our day with:
>
> >Can it make the forward back and middle buttons, Mouse 4, 5, and 3 like
> >the MS mice?
> >

> Can it make them what?
>
> LogiGamer just lets you assign the buttons to whatever you want, similar
> to the Intellimouse software that MS uses.
> I.e. I have the two thumb buttons set to "K" and "L" and the three extra
> middle buttons set to ";", ",", and ".".
> It runs in the system tray and monitors for whenever you launch a game
> or application. You can individually set the buttons for different
> applications.
>
> So ass-smack is assigned to ".".
>
> I have an MX500, all games I have I can use all the buttons.
>
> --
> "Smiles everyone, Smiles!" - Mr. Roarke
>
> Steve [Inglo]

What version of intellimouse is this that you're speaking of? I remember
once, being able to do this, but the newer versions no longer support the
program-specific settings. Pretty stupid of Microsoft, I think, to do
nothing but take away great features.

On 4/23/2004 2:43 PM remyD brightened our day with:

>"Inglo" <ingloogoo@zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.xcc> wrote in message
>

>>On 4/22/2004 2:59 PM Mike M brightened our day with:
>>

>>>Can it make the forward back and middle buttons, Mouse 4, 5, and 3 like
>>>the MS mice?
>>>

>>Can it make them what?
>>
>>LogiGamer just lets you assign the buttons to whatever you want, similar
>>to the Intellimouse software that MS uses.
>>I.e. I have the two thumb buttons set to "K" and "L" and the three extra
>>middle buttons set to ";", ",", and ".".
>>It runs in the system tray and monitors for whenever you launch a game
>>or application. You can individually set the buttons for different
>>applications.
>>
>>So ass-smack is assigned to ".".
>>
>>I have an MX500, all games I have I can use all the buttons.
>>
>>--
>>"Smiles everyone, Smiles!" - Mr. Roarke
>>
>>Steve [Inglo]
>>

>What version of intellimouse is this that you're speaking of? I remember
>once, being able to do this, but the newer versions no longer support the
>program-specific settings. Pretty stupid of Microsoft, I think, to do
>nothing but take away great features.

Right before I switched to the logitech I was using the 4.1 Intellimouse
drivers, the 5.0 drivers had come out and I'd noticed that they had
removed that option, what fools. Right there is a reason I didn't go
out an buy a new MS mouse and got a Logitech instead.

--
"Smiles everyone, Smiles!" - Mr. Roarke

Steve [Inglo]

Thanks for continuing this thread.... I hadn't my middle wheel/button to
anything, and bound it now to the link gun.. I play mostly onslaught, and
it's VERY handy!

Is the logitec mx310 any good? That's what I'm thinking of getting next
week. My present mouse is some sort of generic optical and it's stunk from
day one.

"MrRobichaud" <MrRobichaud@rogers.com> wrote in message
> Is the logitec mx310 any good? That's what I'm thinking of getting next
> week. My present mouse is some sort of generic optical and it's stunk
from
> day one.

I've got a logitech Ifeel mouse here laying on the floor. I use it for our
backup system. I thought since it ws more expensive, I'd try it on ut2004,
but because of it's weight, it is harder on the wrists, and you can't
respond quite as quickly.

Our normal mice we use are vpr matrix wheel opticals.

--
Gareee©
Homepage:

Andrew

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:52:18 -0400, "Gareee©"
<gareeeNospam!@charter.net> wrote:

>I've got a logitech Ifeel mouse here laying on the floor. I use it for our
>backup system. I thought since it ws more expensive, I'd try it on ut2004,
>but because of it's weight, it is harder on the wrists, and you can't
>respond quite as quickly.

The force feedback is excellent in UT and UT2004 with an ifeel mouse.
Unfortunately I prefer the precision of my MX500.

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004 10:52:18 -0400, Gareee© wrote:

> I've got a logitech Ifeel mouse here laying on the floor. I use it for our
> backup system. I thought since it ws more expensive, I'd try it on ut2004,
> but because of it's weight, it is harder on the wrists, and you can't
> respond quite as quickly.

Well, strengthen your wrist up.

[Snip line about hardware - incorrect newsgroup isn't it "Gareee©"?]

--
R.L.U. #300033, running WM 0.80.1 under MDK9.1

Ahhh, this is gonna turn bad, why don'tchya just all drop it? Killing each
other is for UT2004, save your anger and slog it out in a deathmatch!