XP Pro Installation over ME Limbo!

Hi,
I tried to install XP Pro over ME. I ran the choice to scan first to see if
there were conflicting programs. I uninstalled them (I thought). Now every
time I boot up the black screen wants me to choose 1. Windows ME or 2.
Cancel XP Installation.
I now have to chose and ME because everytime I try to install XP it won't
finish and gives me a variety of error messages including 'No server pk 2'
(which I have downloaded again but it was already there).
The worst thing is I lost my HP Photo Smart printer connection and I can't
uninstall and reinstall because something is corrupt. It won't read
downloaded printer drivers and asks me which program to open them. How does a
normal person know this?
Should I stop messin' around with this and take it to COMP USA?
And I lost my system restore dates and can only restore the day all of this
happened. I have a Dell 8100 Dimensions PC if that means anything.
It's an XP/ME Hell I'm in!
Thanks for any guidance you might feel is helpful because I'm ready to shoot
my computer.

Blue in AZ.

dl

Backup any data first.
Disconnect any peripherals, eg printer, usb etc
Then clean install winxp
After install visit Dell site for winxp drivers that may be required for
your sys, eg chipset/graphics.
Install printer as per printer instructions.