Sign in with
Your question

Bad CPU?

Last response: in Systems
September 23, 2010 8:31:39 PM

New build will not post. A few weeks ago I asked for advice and the consensus was that I had a bad PSU. I sent that back under warranty and got a new one, and I'm still having the same problem. I've gone though all the links people here have posted, and I'm back to square one. Have no clue why this new build stopped working. It worked fine for two months then all of a sudden just quit in the middle of CoD MW2 - shut down immediately and only turned on once after that. Will not turn on now.

1.) I thought it was an overheating problem, so I replaced the stock fan with a AC Freezer 7 Pro. Didn't help.
2.) I thought it was a video card problem, because I saw some pixel static on the screen before the big crash, so I got a different card. PC booted one time with new card, then it crashed again immediately. So I bought yet another video card, different brand. PC will not boot.
3.) No beeps from motherboard, so I looked in the case and noticed it didn't have a speaker. Bought a little speaker. Still get no beeps.
4.) I exchanged the motherboard. No beeps. I've checked, double checked, quintuple checked the case wire connections. No @#$%! beeps.
5.) I exchanged the PSU. New one arrived today. Plugged everything in, thinking the problem would now be solved. Nope. No beeps, no post, no nothing. Case fan spins. CPU fan does not spin. This is why I exchanged the PSU in the first place, because I thought it wasn't sending enough juice through the whole system. I've got a 700W OCZ, it should be plenty. If I unhook the DVD and HDDs, the CPU fan spins on its own. Otherwise, I need to touch it with my finger to get it spinning. This is exactly what happened before I RMAd the PSU. I am baffled.

Bad CPU? Also, why does my mobo speaker not work?

My specs:
Windows 7 x64
CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055t
Mobo - Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
RAM - 4GB OCZ DDR3 PC3-1066
Video card - GeForce GT 240
HDDs - Barracuda 7200 SATA 280GB
WD Caviar Green SATA 500GB
PSU - OCZ ModXStream 700W

More about : bad cpu

September 23, 2010 9:26:10 PM

For the heck of it, I went out and got a Corsair 850TX PSU and the computer has the same symptoms. The only things plugged in now are the CPU and its cooling fan, the case fan and video card. The case fan spins but the CPU fan does not spin - unless I touch it. Then it spins normally. There is no RAM installed and there are no speaker beeps. Like I said, I've replaced the mobo.
m
l
a c 103 B Homebuilt system
September 23, 2010 11:14:01 PM

The CPU fan is powered from the motherboard and based on the PSU's you have tried points to the motherboard. No BIOS beeps points to the motherboard as well since it would beep from CPU failure and lack of ram.
m
l
Related resources
September 23, 2010 11:17:40 PM

rolli, that's what I was thinking. This would be the 3rd motherboard if I replace it, which is fine by me. But is it possible I damaged it (static elec.), or can you get two bad ones in a row from the store?
m
l
September 23, 2010 11:27:42 PM

Yes it is a possibility that you get unlucky and get two bad ones in a row.
m
l
September 24, 2010 2:32:32 AM

You were indeed correct, rolli. Went down to MicroCenter, exchanged the POS board and got a different model - everything works like a charm.
m
l
September 24, 2010 2:38:25 AM

That's great to hear!
m
l
!