Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Lite-On can't read copied disks

Last response: in Storage
a c 377 G Storage
January 2, 2013 12:41:24 PM

I have an older LITE-ON CD/DVD writer that I purchased at the end of 2005. It's IDE, not sata. I can't remeber the exact model and I'm at work now, so I can list it later if needed. This drive has been working fine. I mostly used it to backup my dvd videos. I haven't burned a dvd video in almost a year. This past weekend I copied another of my dvd's. Here are the steps I took:

1. Since the movie could fit on a single layer disk, I used DVDShrink to remove all the protection and used the "no compression" setting and place the files to the HDD.

2. I used imageburn's build mode like I normally do to read the movie folder and burn the dvd. This worked fine, but then failed on the verify.

The dvd looked fine, so I tested it on another computer and my tv's dvd player. It played fine in both. Just for the heck of it, I tried putting movies that burned and verified fine a year ago into my computer and it couldn't play those either even though they still work fine on my other pc and stand alone dvd player.

I noticed that when I'm in "My Computer" on my HP computer that it shows the DVD as 0 of 4.7Gig free and it shows the title of the disk in the display. When I place it in my computer that I use to do my burning with, it doesn't show the title of the disk and it reads 4.7 of 4.7 gig free, like it doesn't know there is data on it.

So basically my problem is that even though I can still burn DVD video with this burner, it can no longer read/play them back. What's odd is that it can play all retail DVD's just fine.

I've looked in the registry for UpperFilters and Lowerfilters as a bunch of google articles suggest. There are no filters there for me to delete. Is there somewhere else I should be looking or is it possible that the burner is dying? Also, about 5 months ago I purchased a blu-ray movie and it came with digital copy. I never tried digital copy before so I was curious. I had to download and install some software in order to watch the digital copy. I'm guessing that in doing so it may have installed some DRM that prevents copied videos from playing. I uninstalled all the digital copy software, but I'm still having this problem.

Anyhow, if I don't get many replies or no answers, I'll probably just end up buying another burner. I just don't want to buy another one if I'll end up running into the same problem.

More about : lite read copied disks

January 2, 2013 7:27:32 PM

my old nec drive did this when it was failing.new liteon and i was back in business
Score
a b G Storage
January 2, 2013 7:56:55 PM

You've already spent more time writing up your problem than the problem is worth. A replacement DVD burner will cost you $20 or less if you wait for a sale.
Score
Related resources
a c 377 G Storage
January 3, 2013 10:51:52 AM

ram1009 said:
You've already spent more time writing up your problem than the problem is worth. A replacement DVD burner will cost you $20 or less if you wait for a sale.

I understand drives are cheap, but it never hurts to ask. If the only solution is to buy a new burner because they are cheap, then why even have this topic on the forums?

Anyhow, thanks to all that replied so far.
Score

Best solution

a c 377 G Storage
January 15, 2013 5:22:08 PM

If a moderator/admin reads this, please close out the thread. Unfortunately there is no best answer here short of get a new drive, which was my last resort anyhow.
a c 190 G Storage
January 15, 2013 6:25:01 PM

This topic has been closed by SR-71 Blackbird
Score
a c 190 G Storage
January 15, 2013 6:25:23 PM

Best answer selected by SR-71 Blackbird.
Score
!