Total: 10 votes (2 blank votes)

• GTX460 1gb
  • 88 %
  • GTX460 768 mb
  • 0 %
  • Wait until I can afford 2 GTX470's
  • 13 %
August 13, 2010 3:48:11 AM

Is it worth the extra $20 per card to go up to the 1gb versions? I plan on getting 2 in SLI, unless of course, I can swing 2 GTX470's. Many of you witnessed (and participated in) my thread about the 460's vs. the 480, and I think I'm convinced to go with 2 460's, unless I can scrounge a few more dollars up to get 2 470's.

The reason? I have to be able to play with AA and all of the features cranked up. My game has to be pretty, fast, and smooth. I don't like sacrificing any of those features for game play, nor will I sacrifice game play for eye candy. Both must be to the max!

Also, is this a mistake: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It has the "shell" of the 768 version of the 460's, but the description says it's the 1gb version. Is it a mistake? Would I get 1gb versions that look ultra-cool like this or not?

Anyway, vote away.

More about : gtx460 1gb 768mb

a c 179 U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 3:52:41 AM

The 1GB version has the 256bit memory bus to give better performance, i feel its worth the additional 20-30 per card even if you arent going to SLI, it just gives you more power and better AA performance.

Judging by the price and other specs i would say thats the 1GB version, the picture of the cooler on newegg doesnt always match the one you get sent so im not sure if you would get the ultra-cool looking one.
August 13, 2010 3:55:57 AM

Thanks. It seems like such a small thing, but I'm also anal about aesthetics. I hope it's that cooler. I'd do one of these: :bounce: 
Related resources
a c 376 U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 4:44:32 AM

For SLI I would definitely recommend the 1gb card. For a single card the difference in memory size/bandwidth isn't a huge deal but when using two cards at once the processing power gets boosted but the memory systems on the cards are redundant. So the extra processing power can really use the extra memory and bandwidth to achieve its potential, especially at high resolutions.
As for the cooler if it is a mistake then it is one EVGA themselves have made as well;
http://www.evga.com/products/moreInfo.asp?pn=01G-P3-137...
a c 243 U Graphics card
August 13, 2010 5:19:07 AM

Huh that card is brand new I guess. EVGA did only have 768MB versions with that cooler. All the 1GB versions had the external exhaust. If you are going to SLI the EE versions might be a better choice to be honest.
First thing I did when I got mine was replace the stock thermal paste with IC Diamond and now it idles at 29C and games in the mid 50s.
August 13, 2010 4:05:16 PM

anort3 said:
Huh that card is brand new I guess. EVGA did only have 768MB versions with that cooler. All the 1GB versions had the external exhaust. If you are going to SLI the EE versions might be a better choice to be honest.
First thing I did when I got mine was replace the stock thermal paste with IC Diamond and now it idles at 29C and games in the mid 50s.

Interesting... I've never replaced the thermal paste on a GPU before. I'm sure there are plenty of tutorials I can find though.

As always, thanks a lot guys!
!