Q9650 running slow - multiplier = 1x : Why ?

ant69

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
hi there,

i just sold my used Q9650 ( via eBay ) to someone and he is having trouble getting it to run properly:

it has been put into a Packard Bell machine with a VG300 M/B ( AMI BIOS version PBVG300.P0K )

CPU-Z shows the processor has been recognised ok, but is running with a Bus Speed of 333MHz ( Core speed = 333 , Multiplier = 1x ! ).

according to me the multiplier should be 9x giving a standard 3Ghz so it is no wonder the machine is running badly.

the person assures me that the BIOS is showing 333 / 9x.

i have never seen this situation before and am not sure how to approach diagnosing it: does anyone have any ideas ?

is it possible that the processor is faulty ( i would have expected it to run ok, or, not run at all ) or, is this likely to be some MB setting that needs to be tweaked ?

are there any sensible tests that can be carried out ?

FYI: i was running the processor at 3.1GHz successfully for 6 months, and then my machine died following a BIOS update fail so i cant test the chip myself; i tried putting my old E6600 in my machine, but it still wouldnt attempt to boot.

thanks in advance for any ideas.

cheers

ant

You can't really be responsible for his MB/BIOS not properly recognizing/running with a given known good cpu...

He will need to find out if his current BIOS is certified to run with the cpu....; if you want to help him research it, great...

(Packard Bell? they still in business??)

SUspect it is his problem, unfortunately....

ant69

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
i know what you are saying but because i cant put my hand on my heart and say 'i know the processor is 100% ok': i didnt test it immediately before packing it, i feel obliged to at least try and find a solution, or at least a valid diagnosis.

that mobo should be capable of running any 775 chip - certainly i've seen other peoples specs having that board / BIOS combo with a Q9300 or Q9450.

i have learnt that he has re-installed windows which is not an encouraging start; hope it found all the chipset drivers etc.....

TRENDING THREADS