'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external co..

when trying to type a command in MS-DOS, I get the below error message. This
is the same for an IPCONFIG or a PING command. Does anyone know how to
correct this? I have win XP SP1

'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Found the resolution!!

Go to My Computer-> right click-> Properties->Advanced->Environment
Variables->System variables and locate “PATH�. Add C:\windows\system32 at the
end if it is not already there.

irish_elf wrote:
> when trying to type a command in MS-DOS, I get the below
> error message. This is the same for an IPCONFIG or a PING
> command. Does anyone know how to correct this? I have win XP
> SP1
>
> 'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external
> command,
> operable program or batch file.

That type of behavior more than likely due to a misconfigured
Path environmental variable. To correct that problem, go to
this web site and download fixpath2.zip:

http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html

Here's a good explanation of what may be happening on your
system:

Why don't my commands work?
http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/cmdprompt.html#6

Since this problem is often the result of some sort of
virus/spyware you'll need to scan your system for some type of
infection. Make sure your antivirus program is up-to-date and
run a scan. You should also run a scan with AdAware and Spybot
S & D.

AdAware
http://www.spychecker.com/program/adaware.html

Spybot S & D
http://www.spychecker.com/program/spybot.html

You might also consider running some of the online virus
scanners:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?WWW_URL=www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp