'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external co..

when trying to type a command in MS-DOS, I get the below error message. This
is the same for an IPCONFIG or a PING command. Does anyone know how to
correct this? I have win XP SP1

'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
2 answers Last reply
More about ipconfig recognized internal external

    Found the resolution!!

    Go to My Computer-> right click-> Properties->Advanced->Environment
    Variables->System variables and locate “PATH�. Add C:\windows\system32 at the
    end if it is not already there.

    irish_elf wrote:
    > when trying to type a command in MS-DOS, I get the below
    > error message. This is the same for an IPCONFIG or a PING
    > command. Does anyone know how to correct this? I have win XP
    > SP1
    >
    > 'ipconfig' is not recognized as an internal or external
    > command,
    > operable program or batch file.

    That type of behavior more than likely due to a misconfigured
    Path environmental variable. To correct that problem, go to
    this web site and download fixpath2.zip:

    http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/misctools.html

    Here's a good explanation of what may be happening on your
    system:

    Why don't my commands work?
    http://internet.cybermesa.com/~bstewart/cmdprompt.html#6

    Since this problem is often the result of some sort of
    virus/spyware you'll need to scan your system for some type of
    infection. Make sure your antivirus program is up-to-date and
    run a scan. You should also run a scan with AdAware and Spybot
    S & D.

    AdAware
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/adaware.html

    Spybot S & D
    http://www.spychecker.com/program/spybot.html

    You might also consider running some of the online virus
    scanners:

    http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

    http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

    http://us.mcafee.com/root/mfs/default.asp?WWW_URL=www.mcafee.com/myapps/mfs/default.asp

    Good luck

    Nepatsfan

Configuration ipconfig Command Prompt Windows XP