color correcting incorrect WB setting

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
January 5, 2005 5:46:42 AM

I was wondering if there is such a thing as a standard transform
setting for Photoshop that would color correct a shot taken indoors
with normal WB setting instead of Tungsten. I know I can manually try
to get it close, but was curious if something more scientific exists.
My gut tells me that there should be a standardized way to correct for
the wrong color temperature.

Many thanks
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 5:46:43 AM

Dustbunny wrote:

> I was wondering if there is such a thing as a standard transform
> setting for Photoshop that would color correct a shot taken indoors
> with normal WB setting instead of Tungsten. I know I can manually try
> to get it close, but was curious if something more scientific exists.
> My gut tells me that there should be a standardized way to correct for
> the wrong color temperature.

If you shoot RAW, the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in can change the white
balance of your picture when you open it.

Also, Photoshop CS got "Photo Filters". Inside this options, you can
simulate the filters used to balance the white using day-film indoors
(tungsten or incandecent bulbs).

--
chidalgo
Anonymous

"Dustbunny" <barfco@swill.com> wrote in message
news:D vkmt0dpr0ncir102s20jqg67usf9ncfb9@4ax.com...
>I was wondering if there is such a thing as a standard transform
> setting for Photoshop that would color correct a shot taken indoors
> with normal WB setting instead of Tungsten. I know I can manually try
> to get it close, but was curious if something more scientific exists.
> My gut tells me that there should be a standardized way to correct for
> the wrong color temperature.
>
> Many thanks

PaintShop Pro does it nicely, I am trying to find the same thing in
PhotoShop CS. Nope, nothing like it.

Canada is whipping the Russians in Hockey 6 to 1 right now.....
January 5, 2005 5:46:43 AM

Dustbunny <barfco@swill.com> writes:

> I was wondering if there is such a thing as a standard transform
> setting for Photoshop that would color correct a shot taken indoors

I use Elements, and it has a tool that does this. I assume it's not in
PhotoShop, but here are the directions for Elements. From the Enhance menu,
select Adjust Color -> Remove Color Cast...

You put the resulting tool on a white, grey, or black area, the program
figures out which you mean, and adjusts the colors. Sometimes it guesses
grey when I mean white, but another stab at it works. See
http://www.civex.com/orig.jpg
http://www.civex.com/fixed.jpg
for samples. All with just a touch of the tool.
January 5, 2005 5:46:44 AM

"chidalgo" <chidalgo@bla.bla.bla> wrote in message
> Dustbunny wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if there is such a thing as a standard transform
>> setting for Photoshop that would color correct a shot taken indoors
>> with normal WB setting instead of Tungsten. I know I can manually try
>> to get it close, but was curious if something more scientific exists.
>> My gut tells me that there should be a standardized way to correct for
>> the wrong color temperature.
>
> If you shoot RAW, the Adobe Camera Raw plug-in can change the white
> balance of your picture when you open it.
>
> Also, Photoshop CS got "Photo Filters". Inside this options, you can
> simulate the filters used to balance the white using day-film indoors
> (tungsten or incandecent bulbs).
>
> --
> chidalgo

Curves works fairly well too.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 5:46:44 AM

"Phil Stripling" <phil_stripling@cieux.zzn.com> wrote in message
> Dustbunny <barfco@swill.com> writes:
>
>> I was wondering if there is such a thing as a standard transform
>> setting for Photoshop that would color correct a shot taken indoors
>
> I use Elements, and it has a tool that does this. I assume it's not in
> PhotoShop, but here are the directions for Elements. From the Enhance
> menu,
> select Adjust Color -> Remove Color Cast...
>
> You put the resulting tool on a white, grey, or black area, the program
> figures out which you mean, and adjusts the colors. Sometimes it guesses
> grey when I mean white, but another stab at it works. See
> http://www.civex.com/orig.jpg
> http://www.civex.com/fixed.jpg
> for samples. All with just a touch of the tool.
> --
> Phil Stripling | email to the replyto address is presumed
> The Civilized Explorer | spam and read later. email from this URL
> http://www.cieux.com/ | http://www.civex.com/ is read daily.

I had Elements, found it too clunky, dumped for Photoshop CS.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 5:46:45 AM

"Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> writes:

> I had Elements, found it too clunky, dumped for Photoshop CS.

So you'll know if there's a comparable one-step color-correction in
PhotoShop, right?
January 5, 2005 6:22:24 AM

"Dustbunny" <barfco@swill.com> wrote in message
news:D vkmt0dpr0ncir102s20jqg67usf9ncfb9@4ax.com...
> I was wondering if there is such a thing as a standard transform
> setting for Photoshop that would color correct a shot taken indoors
> with normal WB setting instead of Tungsten. I know I can manually try
> to get it close, but was curious if something more scientific exists.
> My gut tells me that there should be a standardized way to correct for
> the wrong color temperature.
>
> Many thanks

RAW, RAW, RAW. Sorry, just couldnt help myself. Then use one of the many
options. You can try to dropper tool to select what is supposed to be
"white" and everything will adjust accordingly. Now, this is fine, but
sometimes you want the image to actually look like tungsten instead of
"natural" light. But again, RAW is your best bet.
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 2:23:20 PM

Dustbunny <barfco@swill.com> wrote:
> I was wondering if there is such a thing as a standard transform
> setting for Photoshop that would color correct a shot taken indoors
> with normal WB setting instead of Tungsten.

It's one of the standard photo filters; I think #80.

Andrew.
January 5, 2005 2:23:21 PM

<andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote in message
> Dustbunny <barfco@swill.com> wrote:
> > I was wondering if there is such a thing as a standard transform
> > setting for Photoshop that would color correct a shot taken indoors
> > with normal WB setting instead of Tungsten.
>
> It's one of the standard photo filters; I think #80.
>
> Andrew.

And how would you apply an 80B after the photo was taken? To answer the
original question there are plug-ins for PhotoShop like White Balance fro
The Imaging Factory http://www.theimagingfactory.com
Anonymous
January 5, 2005 5:42:20 PM

On Wed, 5 Jan 2005 08:48:01 -0500, "Darrell" <no@spam.here> wrote:

><andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote in message
>> Dustbunny <barfco@swill.com> wrote:
>> > I was wondering if there is such a thing as a standard transform
>> > setting for Photoshop that would color correct a shot taken indoors
>> > with normal WB setting instead of Tungsten.
>>
>> It's one of the standard photo filters; I think #80.
>>
>> Andrew.
>
>And how would you apply an 80B after the photo was taken?

In Photoshop CS, 'Image, Adjustment, Photo Filter' - Choose Cooling
#80 and whatever density works for you.

>To answer the
>original question there are plug-ins for PhotoShop like White Balance fro
>The Imaging Factory http://www.theimagingfactory.com

Or shoot RAW if you can, the Photoshop RAW importer lets you select
the white balance at the time of import.

--
Owamanga!
Anonymous

Phil Stripling wrote:

> "Rudy Benner" <bennerREMOVE@personainternet.com> writes:
>

>>I had Elements, found it too clunky, dumped for Photoshop CS.
>

> So you'll know if there's a comparable one-step color-correction in
> PhotoShop, right?

There is an adjustment that's for automatic color corrections, but few I
know of use it.

An adjustment layer for Curves does it pretty well once you know how to
use it. The middle dropper is for grey values, and sometimes that alone
will do it. For color casts, I have come to appreciate separate levels
in R, G and B to remove 'em.

--
John McWilliams
Anonymous

(1) Go to Adobe's Studio Exchange web site
(2) Look for a plug-in called

"Color Temperature Correct"

Filename: agdcolor.zip
http://share.studio.adobe.com/axAssetDetailSubmit.asp?a...
%2F%2Fshare%2Estudio%2Eadobe%2Ecom%2FaxQuickSearchSubmit%2Easp%3Ftxt%3Dcolo
r%2Btemperature%26allprods%3D0%26submit1%2Ex%3D23%26submit1%2Ey%3D10

or you could go directly to the ADG Software site in Russia. and download
the shareware version of the same plugin

http://plugin.artdesign.ru/

"Dustbunny" <barfco@swill.com> wrote in message
news:D vkmt0dpr0ncir102s20jqg67usf9ncfb9@4ax.com...
> I was wondering if there is such a thing as a standard transform
> setting for Photoshop that would color correct a shot taken indoors
> with normal WB setting instead of Tungsten. I know I can manually try
> to get it close, but was curious if something more scientific exists.
> My gut tells me that there should be a standardized way to correct for
> the wrong color temperature.
>
> Many thanks
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 5:08:50 AM

Hi,

couple of ways you can do it. you can use the Photofilterby going to Image >
Adjustments > Photofilter
Use a blue filter and adjust the bar until the picture is to you liking.
You can also go to Adjustments > Levels and use one of the eye droppers. Place
the rightmost one on an are that is white, or the middle one on an are that you
know should be grey, or the leftmost one on an area that you know should be
black. That would take care of the color cast.
Rosita
Anonymous
January 6, 2005 9:05:17 PM

Darrell <no@spam.here> wrote:

> <andrew29@littlepinkcloud.invalid> wrote in message
>> Dustbunny <barfco@swill.com> wrote:
>> > I was wondering if there is such a thing as a standard transform
>> > setting for Photoshop that would color correct a shot taken indoors
>> > with normal WB setting instead of Tungsten.
>>
>> It's one of the standard photo filters; I think #80.

> And how would you apply an 80B after the photo was taken?

Image>Adjustments>Photo Filter>80

Where's the problem?

Andrew.
!